Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Opinions on training gear

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Opinions on training gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:46 AM
dicharry
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on training gear

Any opinions out there on flying with the training gear on? I like the heavy duty gear that holds the heli off the ground. the CF legs on this gear are 3mm in diameter and much stiffer than the light duty type that flexes and lets the heli go all the way to the ground. Maybe it's my imagination, but the HBK2 and Blakhawk 450 seem more stable with the gear on. Also, I seem to have less severe crashes. Anyway, I've been flying without the gear for a couple of months now, and I seem to be spending more time repairing the helis. Could be that orientation is easier for me with the gear on, and could be a confidence thing. A side benefit of the gear is that it keeps the tail out of the grass.
Thanks,
Don
Old 06-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Kaelan

Default RE: Opinions on training gear

it's strictly in your head... kind of like a safety blanket. does it make your crashes less severe... doubtful. is it more stable.. no.. training gear is only good for learning to take off and land straight. once you learn that, the gear needs to come off.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Skarn

I'ts not in your head. Yes, training gear can make it more stable.....but only because of the added weight. But it can also make it less stable if it's not balanced correctly. Also the big orange balls definitely make it easier for orientation, but that's not necessarily a good thing.....cause when you take it off.....they go away!

I agree though that once you can hover, take it off!

Skarn
Old 06-21-2008, 06:33 PM
H3li

I will also say though, that if you are setting your Heli down on ground that might not be completely flat, like a field or grass, the training gear can help the Heli sit more evenly, when spooling up and landing.
Without the gear and there's a greater chance of a tip-over! I know what you will say - take off on flat ground!! Well, it depends WHERE is most convenient for you to fly!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion is get rid of the gear as soon as you can take off and land. I had the gear on WAY to long. I had started FF when I finally dropped the gear. You will depend on the large orange, yellow, red balls for orientation and not the nose of the helicopter. It is like taking the training wheels off the bike. You can ride, but you depend on the training gear to save you when you forget. If you can take off, hover for a pack, move it around a little, time to drop the gear.

If you have to have the training gear, start cutting down the legs to make it smaller. Long gear legs can give some strange vibes to the airframe.

Dru.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 AM
RC David

Here's my opinion...

The primary purpose of training gear is to help you learn how to take off and land without tipping/crashing. Since I assume most are trying to get to the point of NO training gear as FAST as possible, I...

1) Made mine out of 4 12" CF rods, a small wooden disk, and 4 hollow plastic "party favor" balls. The gear weighs practically nothing. This is an advantage as it will create the smallest change to the weight, aerodynamic qualities, and balance of a heli.

2) Painted the balls and disk black so that when flying you see (and fly) the heli and NOT the orange balls on the training gear. This, in my opinion will get you on the fastest track to flying without training gear.

And since I know some are wondering...

I JUST took my training gear off my mini-Titan last week after flying it with the gear for about 4 months. Probably about 2 months too long but I said I'd rather keep them on too long than take them off too soon.

It's a GREAT feeling.

Dave D.