Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

first person view heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

first person view heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first person view heli

I am looking into doing fpv flight with a coaxial heli and wonder if there is a coaxial helli size enough to fit a hobby wireless equipment onto its platform. i may just fly it without a canopy thus providing more room for the head tracking camera that follows your head motions. the reason i choose a coaxial heli is due to its stabalizing design charactoristics and a large number of ppl succeding at heli flight. i will be an amateur flying this machine for the fist time so i might try to get the feel of it first as an r/c version then switch into fpv mode. can anyone tell me of a particular high quality coaxial heli to buy? thanks.

p.s. i dont want an airplane as i fly them i want a heli since they just take off anywhere practically then after i use the coaxial heli i might graduate to a cp400 or the like with autopilot feature to help it stabalize inflight. since they have these high quality lypo battiers out there now i can fly 30 min+ on a single charge and never have to drive to a field to fly these!! i live on acreage so that way i have room enough to practice this type of heli. thanks1!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Druss

Default RE: first person view heli

You won't get 30 minutes on a flight, doesn't matter what heli or what battery you use. Count on 10 minutes max and 7-8 minutes average.

A co-axial is fine for learning but they can't lift very much at all. Mine has trouble lifting one of those really light 5in1 cameras so a hobby grade camera with good wireless transmitter is going to be too heavy.

I've heard of guys doing fpv before but it's going to be very difficult to fly that way. There is no peripheral vision to keep track of orientation.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 AM
CRAZYRYAN

thats why u use a head tracking device also i heard that coaxial helis can lift more
Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Optimus110103
My Feedback: (5)

You Heard wrong, Coaxials can lift themselves, thats about it. dont try to carry any payload with a coax, You will not have good results.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN

thats why u use a head tracking device also i heard that coaxial helis can lift more
I guess the only way you'll know is if you try. I put a 20g self contained wireless camera on my co-axial, it got about 1 foot up and wouldn't go any higher.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:04 PM
CRAZYRYAN

well did you adjust the blades that would have maximum thrust output at full throttle takeoff?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:17 PM
CRAZYRYAN

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNYM9**&P=0 this would be the ideal heli to use i would have tocut the canopy to where i can fit the head tracking camera that would move around as i move my head. If i adjust the blades to where it has maximum thrust then it will fly better and provide a better payload. with the coaxial heli setup the motor has less work to move the blades kinda like a biplane effect. there are full scale size helis that have the same setup. afterall you dont have to worry about blade stall when you bank your blades the coaxial design keeps your heli stable in all normal heli flight condistions.

and by the way i found a company that sells really high quality lipos and quick chargers and i could prolly get about 15 mins of flight.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:29 PM
bigairhonda

I can tell you right now that this heli can barely lift itself. My friend has a blade cx2 which has slight hotter motors than this one and it definately wont lift any sizeable camera. But if you dont want to take my advise then try it and youll see. Also as far as flight times go you probably wont get much more than 8 minutes tops on a flight unless you want to ruin your lipos really quick. Lipos are not supposed to be discharged past 80% of its total capacity. You can however its hard on them and they will eventually get weaker and weaker and shorter times. Another thing to consider is that you cant really get much bigger MAH battery in it due to the small space.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNYM9**&P=0 this would be the ideal heli to use i would have tocut the canopy to where i can fit the head tracking camera that would move around as i move my head. If i adjust the blades to where it has maximum thrust then it will fly better and provide a better payload. with the coaxial heli setup the motor has less work to move the blades kinda like a biplane effect. there are full scale size helis that have the same setup. afterall you dont have to worry about blade stall when you bank your blades the coaxial design keeps your heli stable in all normal heli flight condistions.

and by the way i found a company that sells really high quality lipos and quick chargers and i could prolly get about 15 mins of flight.
You talk like you've actually flown one but you haven't.

the heli is fixed pitch with brittle plastic blades, in order to increase the pitch then you've have to heat them up and carefully twist them and make sure to get all 4 at exactly the same pitch or you'll have erratic flight.

even if you did get the pitch correct, the 180 size brushed motors do not have the power to lift both the heli, with such extreme pitch, nor the camera. maybe if you replaced both motors with something like the brushless mamba comp you could do it.

and no, it doesn't matter what charger or lipos you use, you won't get more than 10 minutes of actual flight time. most new flyers say "i get 15 minutes", but that counts while it's sitting on the ground, landings... etc. Actual continuous flight time will not get to 15 minutes, especially if you have extra load like a camera on. You need to understand that you can't just use a larger battery as now you're also adding weight. 1000mah is pretty much the best compromise between performance and endurance.

the heli you listed is the same as the cx/cx2, lama v3/v4... etc. All the co-axials are pretty mcuh the same and have the same flight characteristics.

I have what's considered one of the best chargers in the industry, the Thunder Power TP1010C, and it doesn't matter. The heli uses 2S, 7.4v batteries, my $200 charger will do the same as a $50 charger when you're talking about a battery that small. Put a 3S in there and you might get one flight before you fry the esc or the motor(s) or both. Again, you're talking from ignorance.

I think you need to actually see one to figure out you're asking too much. the things are only 14-16 inches long and in reality, the body does nothing but add weight so the actual heli frame itself is about 6 inches long.

everyone here says you can't do it and we actually own these helis. you haven't even seen one in person and yet you think you know more than us. fine, go out and spend your money and try it, you obviously won't believe us until you waste a bunch of money and learn for yourself.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:10 PM
HeLiTuBBies

i'm buying a palm size heli.. kinda like those fighting helis that comes in pairs.. i will put a mini cam on each one and it will have tracking capabilities that will track beautiful sceneries from 100ft up in the air and it will do it on it's own automatically... the two helis would feed live video signals to the ground and combine the videos to create a panoramic view of everything it captures which would be possible by making the two fly next to each other in perfect sync.. i would never need lipos, the heli itself is made out of 100% micro solar panels.. i can fly all day with it! [>:]
Old 09-13-2008, 05:39 PM
HeLiTuBBies

i'm also buying an rc hot air balloon.. i dont want an airplane or a heli since the rc hot air balloon would take off and hover better than a 3d plane or a co ax heli.. i would fit it with a spycam and fly it steady up against the girl next door 2nd floor window[>:]
Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 AM
CRAZYRYAN

double post.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 AM
CRAZYRYAN

im sorry if i sounded ignorant im just doing some extensive research on helis about what would be the best platform for fpv with the head tracker motion capability. i dont want an airplane as i have to find an open field want to be able to start from home and explore the area by air. i like the solar panel idea but the discharge rate wold be too high and charge rate too low so that wouldnt work.

man i wish perpetual motion can come to pass and we never have to worry about energy in general. i once thought about a small generator connected to the bigger electric motor belt drivin but that would prove to put too much load on the little generator and it would not work. so there really is not much to do about this i guess. any advice i really appreciate.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Druss

Most of the guys on here like to help out people but you're also making it difficult. Bottom line is you're not going to be able to do this with a small co-axial heli, you're not going to get over 10 minutes of flight with an electric, it's that simple and you're not going to be able to lift everything you need to with a co-axial. I know that's the cheapest route but you're just going to waste your money trying to do it.

If you're really serious about doing this project I suggest you look at either a larger .50 nitro w/ a stability control unit (like the FMA FS8) or something like the dragonflyer which is designed for photo/video use. If you google around you'll actually find that the professional RC Heli photographers/videographers use gasser helis as they can fly longer.

Here is one of the smallest and lightest wireless video cameras that send a signal back to a receiver, http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...IDEO-KITS.html, but it's expensive and uses a 9V power supply. The battery is what's going to limit you. A co-axial could lift that camera but the 9V battery is what would weight it down.

Here is the [link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/2-4GHz-4CH-Wireless-built-in-Lithium-Battery-Spy-Camera_W0QQitemZ270274268562QQihZ017QQcategoryZ340 56QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Wireless camera[/link] that I tried to lift. I chose it because it has a built in lithium battery which is as light as you can get in terms of batteries. My 450 size helis lift it easily but my co-axial cannot get more than a foot off the ground with it and that's with a direct mount, not using the heavy mount it comes with.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:01 AM
CRAZYRYAN

ok thanks for the tips sorry again i dont mean to make it difficult its just a discusion for now ill make up my mind later end of the year when i decide i like the gasser now i feel like its more reliable and the stablaizer control i have seen those before but i was just not sure about a gasser.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 AM
HeLiTuBBies

we are all into this... we share the same passion... i love my helis.. i'm sure people here can't get enough of their own either.. i'm open to advice, comments and suggestions from those who came before me and have more experiences than me.. they would never let me down coz i know that my lost would be their lost too coz they would know what i feel.. i would never want to have something bad happen with my models neither with my hobby buddies's models coz same minds with same interests share thoughts and care for each other and will never let each one down...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 AM
HeLiTuBBies

i love you all!!! i'm probably just drunk [&:]
Old 09-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Crusader23

Ever thought about a wide angle lens on a camera instead of a head motion thing? I fly Night Vision Goggles at night and that basically is like looking through a toilet paper roll - no peripheral at all. All the cues that you use will have to be learned as you fly this thing. Basically, instead of using binocular cues, you’ll be using monocular. Good luck on your project and I hope that you pioneer one of these things. BTW, how are you going to make the viewer portable enough to mount on someone's head?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
CRAZYRYAN

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=432440 would this be a good first choice of heli to use as fpv? i like to start out small nothing big so i can work my way up and still want to use hobbywireless camera system and headtracking motion. i thought about getting a wide lens along for the camera as well and of course i will use the copilot sounds like an ideal winner.

if i do get this heli i plan to practice it as a r/c version first and formost for safety reasons till i get better i have been practicing on realflight and with the camera mode on as well to get the perspective of how things will look like.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Druss

That's not bad, the swift 16 is another in that price range. Don't like the servos they've used but that's just me. A couple of suggestions is that you tone it right down. You won't be doing any 3D flight on it so I suggest you add some weight to the flybars, use expo on the cyclic and reduce the end points so that you only get +/- 9 deg pitch.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 AM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Crazytrain, see if you can get yourself a simulator to learn on, I think G4 would even have the in cockpit view you are looking at, it won't hurt you at all, and will probably save you a lot in parts but more importantly down time (I hate when I'm broke!!)

also, availability man... go check local fields and shops, see what guys are flying and what is in stock, again, waiting for a part sucks... the guys at the field (if you choose not to be quite so stubborn) will be your greatest help with everything from setup, a shoulder to cry on and inspiration to try the next thing.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Druss,
I cant get four hour flights on my BlackHawk ? In that case I better put my wifes battery back in her car[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75051.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1034560  
Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Druss

LOL that would be funny if the photoshop job wasn't so bad...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:11 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what can I say , I was at work nd didnt have the time but I couldnt resist...
Old 09-16-2008, 05:10 PM
CRAZYRYAN

ORIGINAL: thestratcat

Crazytrain, see if you can get yourself a simulator to learn on, I think G4 would even have the in cockpit view you are looking at, it won't hurt you at all, and will probably save you a lot in parts but more importantly down time (I hate when I'm broke!!)

also, availability man... go check local fields and shops, see what guys are flying and what is in stock, again, waiting for a part sucks... the guys at the field (if you choose not to be quite so stubborn) will be your greatest help with everything from setup, a shoulder to cry on and inspiration to try the next thing.

i have a simulator realflight as i mentioned eariler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.