Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Help to pick out heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Help to pick out heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM
gborislav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to pick out heli

Hi

Can someone please help me pick which heli to buy for beginners?

I'm interested in two heli right now ,one is :
Walkera HM 5#10,

and 2nd one is :
Lama V4

Both are new versions 2.4 GHZ edition, however I like the way
Walkera looks more then the other one.
But if I buy the Xtreme Conversion Kit For Lama V4
it looks similar to the walkera.

So , now my question is which one will fly better ( more stable) Walkera or Lama after extreme conversion ?

And which one gives less problem ?

And how hard is it to extreme convert the Lama V4?

Thank you for helping.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Help to pick out heli

I can't really comment on either brand, Walkera seems popular and people seem to like them... the same with the Lama...

what you should consider is local parts availability, if you have a shop close, what parts do they carry? waiting a week for the mail to bring you a 3 dollar set of rotor blades so you can fly again SUCKS!

and look at prices for repairs, probably isn't a big difference but check it out...

lastly, go check out and see what you can find in the manufacturer specific forums (above) or use the search function to find out what has been said...

good luck...

are those collective pitch heli's? if so, I'd start with a decent simulator to take you through the winter...
Old 09-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Druss

Those are both co-axials and realistically, metal in a heli that small is not required, in fact the added weight will affect performance. The only upgrade i would really suggest is the extended inner shaft and possibly the swashplate. Anything else is really NOT going to increase performance. Considering how many much larger helis fly fine with plastic heads don't think that metal equals performance... especially in something this small.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 AM
soul

Starting with simulator will help, and if comfortable then it might make sense to jump to FP directly instead of Co-axial. For some reason co-axial seems to give too much comfort, and then moving to FP or CCPM looks big learning curve. You may want to check http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera1_B_Heli.htm
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Thunkco

I agree with soul, the co-ax heli's are cake to fly and i don't think they prepare you to fly a cp or fp heli well at all. What they can teach you is the basic controls and orientation. but even that is kinda outa wack. For instance giving a co-ax right aileron will have it walk around you in a nice circle. Aileron on a cp will tilt it and if you don't cancel it out send it straight into the dirt.

Co-ax heli's stabilize themselves. Which can be nice, if you find yourself loosing it just stop giving it input and it will return to a hover.

But on the plus side they are alot of fun to fly. I fly my CX2 several times a day. Blade 400 I fly every couple of days cause it still gets away from me a bit.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
axel8000

get a blackhawk 450! I know I love mine!

I asked this same question as you about a month ago! I'm glad I didn't get a coaxial! I can already hover my blackhawk 450 around. I can control it pretty well, I can fly it in light winds. If I would have gotten a coaxial, I'd already be bored with it. There would be nothing else for me to learn!

It all depends on if your really looking to get into the hobby or not. I know I'm already hooked. You will have to love, not only flying, but taking it apart, making adjustments, and fixing it. If you don't enjoy fixing it, I don't think helis will be for you anyways.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 AM
nibbler125

what you should consider is local parts availability, if you have a shop close, what parts do they carry? waiting a week for the mail to bring you a 3 dollar set of rotor blades so you can fly again SUCKS!

thats why I bought 10 sets of blades for my lama.

I would say lama v4 or v3 I have had good luck with e sky
Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Axel hit the nail on the head... Start wih a Co-Co IMO. It will teach you orientation for flying and some thumb control but thats about all that translates between a co-ax and a cp/fp heli.

What it will also do is find out if you are into heli's or not. Its a cheaper way of deciding this so not a lot of money is wasted if you decide heli's just are not your thing. They can be flown outside when its calm but mostly an inside flier. If you can fly this and fix this little heli and get a lot of fun out of it then for sure buy something bigger and better. I started into heli's with the King 2 but I knew I wanted into heli's before I bought it because I have always loved helis. Only you can really answer the question of whether this habit is for you... it is an expensive one too... you can't just have one... lol

happy fly'n
Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
DeadSticker
My Feedback: (18)

Another good starter if you are willing to spend the money is the Hirobo SRB Quark...great little heli and a breeze to fly...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23878

Can get them a little cheaper off fleabay...