Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

After the Blade 400?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

After the Blade 400?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Pilotwoody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After the Blade 400?

Hi
I have been flying the Blade 400 this summer, not into idle-up yet, still having a blast in "slow" mode.
I did flip that switch to idle-up once, YIKES! Got lucky, didn't have to buy any new parts, just new underware.
Anyway, I would like to step up and buy a kit to put together over the winter.
I want to stay in the 450 size and it looks like the TREX 450 SE or the HDX 450 SE are the easiest for me to get parts locally.
If anyone here has experience with both of these helis and would like to offer some advice, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Henry Bowman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: After the Blade 400?

Although I have neither, I will give you my input. The Align helis have a great following. You can also get parts for them almost anywhere. The HDX helis are good but the TRex's are probably the best for you to get started with as you move into larger more complex machines.

BTW. I have a highly modified CP Pro and ended up purchasing an Outrage G5 and love it. But again, if I had it all to do over, I'd get the TRex. Waaaayyy too much information out there for them.

My .02 cents. FWIW
Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

I wish I'd started off with the t-rex, I'm a lot like you flying wise, I'm having a ball zipping around, haven't messed with idle up much, I just don't feel the need to I guess

I'd go t-rex, but the HDX is probably just as good.. I actually traded my T-rex XL frame over to one of the clones adn I'm liking it much better, this is what I'm flying now (mixture of align and other parts)

http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...m-frame/Detail

edited to add:

buy the most heli you can with the most aluminum/upgrade parts... you're going to end up upgrading anyhow... it's better to buy a heli with all aluminum and maybe put plastic blade grips on than to buy the other way around, you'll save a bundle. The aluminum will make it a bit more touchy to fly, but you can dial that out with the radio and it'll be more durable.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Druss

I've got both, both are good... I don't think you can really go wrong with either. The Trex stock esc and motor are better than the sonix that come with the HDX though.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 AM
Missileman

I second Druss.
I too own both. I like the frame setup of the HDX more.The T-Rex 450SE V2 has a better feather shaft setup and I like the way the soft start on the Align ESC works. The 2 helis overall preform about the same.Of course you can buy an HDX bare bones and add an Align ESC and motor too.
I like the overall looks of the T-Rex better, that is the main reason I put my HDX in a scale Fuselage.
If money is tight get the HDX if not get the T-Rex.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Edwinssiv

I have the TRex 450 SE V2...I have been very happy with it...it has been my go to heli for a while now, very dependable...so easy to get parts for it locally...I was seriously considering the HDX 450 and if not for a weak moment from my wife when we were in the LHS, I would have bought it...But she gave me carte blanche to build the 450 of my choice!!!!! [X(] so I took it!!!!
What I liked about the HDX was the frame is one piece and the swash set up...I even considered buying the HDX frame when I broke one of the canopy holder holes in a crash...but went a head and just bought the TRex frame part I needed...maybe next time.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Missileman

ORIGINAL: Edwinssiv

I have the TRex 450 SE V2...I have been very happy with it...it has been my go to heli for a while now, very dependable...so easy to get parts for it locally...I was seriously considering the HDX 450 and if not for a weak moment from my wife when we were in the LHS, I would have bought it...But she gave me carte blanche to build the 450 of my choice!!!!! [X(] so I took it!!!!
What I liked about the HDX was the frame is one piece and the swash set up...I even considered buying the HDX frame when I broke one of the canopy holder holes in a crash...but went a head and just bought the TRex frame part I needed...maybe next time.
That does remind me of something else pro HDX.
The HDX does have a stronger frame made of G10 fiberglass and is based on what is known as a Super Frame that a number of T-Rex owners have upgraded their models to.
If you upgrade a T-Rex with a Super Frame is it still a T-Rex? or does it become an HDX?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Edwinssiv

ORIGINAL: Missileman
That does remind me of something else pro HDX.
The HDX does have a stronger frame made of G10 fiberglass and is based on what is known as a Super Frame that a number of T-Rex owners have upgraded their models to.
If you upgrade a T-Rex with a Super Frame is it still a T-Rex? or does it become an HDX?
Does it become a TRdex??? [:'(]

I know...bad joke lol [:-]
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Pilotwoody

Wow, great advice from everyone, thanks so much.
Sounding like there's not a great deal of difference between the two, I'd probably be happy with either!
My gut is saying spend a little more cash and get the Trex, sounds like a "little" better quality overall, and maybe a better motor and ESC.
BUT, those last couple replies have me thinking ... if I put Trex decals on my Blade400, would that do it?

Thanks agian. Any further comments would be welcome.
Take care.
Will
Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 AM
Missileman

Then you would have a Blade-Rex