Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Getting Back Into Helis

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Getting Back Into Helis

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Flynic3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Back Into Helis

I am looking to get back into R/C helis after a good 8-9 year hiatus. All of my experience has been with nitro based helis however am looking to go electric this time around. My first heli was a Kyosho .30 and I had about 4-5 hours of flight with it prior to me bringing her in hot and landing with the tail rotor first. That being said I am looking for a somewhat intermediate but affordable heli that also has a good level of craftsmanship. I have been reading a bit online about a couple of helis that have grabbed my attention but wanted this forums unbiased opinion as well. I would like to go RTF so I am looking into the Exceed-RC G2 Premium Edition with CNC components and carbon fiber blades. Along with the Fully-Loaded Walkera #60B V2 with similar options and lastly the ESky Belt-CP (Carbon RTF version). I am just now looking into all of this again so I may be way off base but from the looks of things the quality versus dollar spent seems decent for these RTF kits. I am calling on you... this forum community to help me dust off the cob webs and help me get oriented in the right direction with these new generation of electric helis. Much Thanks in advance...

Cheers!

Nic
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
propjetdriver

Default RE: Getting Back Into Helis

spend 198 bux on the heli-max cpv3. Learn to really fly again. Then go spend money on a nice machine. Dont waste your cash on something pretty. I was out of rc helies for years and figured I could just jump back in.. Buy cheap. Something local hobby shop supports. I wouldnt recomemed a 450 ship till you get some time. Buy cheap electric to see if you still have it and dont mind fixing the damn thing when it breaks.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Flynic3

Thank you much for your reply... I was thinking the same thing at first until I am seeing the difference in the price versus quality. I was first looking at a couple of models at just under the $200 range however for another hundred I am able to get first two helis I listed in my group of interest. I still have kept up flying sims every now and again so I feel confident enough to go ahead and spend the little extra money needed for a CNC quality aircraft instead of plastic. I still plan on using training skids when I first start out again and plan on spending a good amount of time practicing low level hovers prior to going all out. I understand where your coming from and I would agree fully but for the price I think if I am going to go the cheap route I would start with a fixed pitch heli. After watching numerous videos of the sub $200 helis I see what seems to be quite a difference in stability. It is a hard decision to make but for me I would rather pay upfront for quality CNC components that are RTF from the factory for just a slight increase in price. I am going to look into the kit you suggested a bit more as it may be just what I am looking for and thanks again for your response.

Nic
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
noobflyer01

8-9 years is a bit of long rust. things have changed quite dramatically since you last flown helis. technology has made electric helis the way to go. dont go cheap.... exceed, esky, walkera, heli-max....cheap bare mininium helis in RTF form that can get you started but not to grow with. go for the high quality stuff from the get go to avoid the frustation. i would defintely recommend getting a trex450 se v2. you'll need a good programmable transmitter also. dx7 or jr 9303 if you have cash or the dx6I if on budget.

i spent alot of money getting lower quality rtf helicopters that needs constant replacing this or that. in the end it cost me same or more if i just went for the higher end stuff. buy cheap buy twice.

If i did had to choose from the entry level brands of helis. go with esky. the belt cp is pretty good for the money. $155 RTF at xheli.com if you decide to get the belt cp then upgrade the ESC immediately as the stock version is underpowered and known to start fires. STAY AWAY from tail motor type helis.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Flynic3

Yes, it has been too long indeed... ;-)

Out of the three helis that I mentioned above I am interested in the ESky Belt-CP (Carbon Fiber Edition) the most however for the $399 price tag I am curious what other comparable options are out there. The Exceed and Walkera with very similar options come in at just under $300 which is really what I was looking to spend for now. I am mainly looking for a stable park flyer that I can toy around with and get comfortable with low level hovering again prior to investing in a nice heli. I would still like this first purchase to be something I can toy around with in the backyard and have as a backup heli for fun. I have had multiple R/C aircraft and understand the time needed to maintain them so tinkering is not a concern of mine. I would love to go all out and buy a really nice heli but with the recent economy it is really not feasible for me to do so right now... I really want to spend less than $300 for an RTF using decent quality CNC parts with upgraded brushless motor and battery. This is a link to the ESky I am looking at and speaking of...

http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/cata...ion-p-314.html

This comes in at about a $100 premium to what I want to spend but seems to be the best buy overall considering it has everything I need out of the box.

The other two:

Exceed: $289
http://www.nitroplanes.com/new6chexg2pr.html

Walkera: $299
http://www.nitroplanes.com/fuwa6v27raco.html
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 AM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: noobflyer01

8-9 years is a bit of long rust. things have changed quite dramatically since you last flown helis. technology has made electric helis the way to go. dont go cheap.... exceed, esky, walkera, heli-max....cheap bare mininium helis in RTF form that can get you started but not to grow with. go for the high quality stuff from the get go to avoid the frustation. i would defintely recommend getting a trex450 se v2. you'll need a good programmable transmitter also. dx7 or jr 9303 if you have cash or the dx6I if on budget.

i spent alot of money getting lower quality rtf helicopters that needs constant replacing this or that. in the end it cost me same or more if i just went for the higher end stuff. buy cheap buy twice.

If i did had to choose from the entry level brands of helis. go with esky. the belt cp is pretty good for the money. $155 RTF at xheli.com if you decide to get the belt cp then upgrade the ESC immediately as the stock version is underpowered and known to start fires. STAY AWAY from tail motor type helis.

+1 for everything Noobflyer just said.... I highly agree also If you go to cheap your going to get really cheap ! And that could interfere with your flying skill abilities, along also with something that won't grow with you... Kinda like buying a cheap charger... Its good for a bit, but then pretty much useless later on so to speak... The Belt CP is a good stable learner and not to bad... The Trex line is a bit more coin, but will grow with you for quite awhile, while the parts still generally fall into the same category price-wise as some of the others. There is even Trex clones out there that do just as good as Noobflyer can agree also I believe... The EXI is one to name... Sometimes paying just that little bit extra saves you in the longrun in the hobby... Glad your getting back into the swing of things... The electrics with the technology today will blow your socks off, and is growing at a remarkable rate...

Good luck in your quest....

~ Jeff
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Druss

Just as a note, be wary about ordering from xheli.com if you've looked there. Look them up on the BBB to see what I mean.

As to the choices, out of the three I'd also choose esky. And ya $400 is a lot. If you could afford $460 I'd say go with the eflite blade 400. While still not on par with the higher end trex, or other helis over $300 for the kit, it is a decent starter and the radio is the best you'll ever find on a RTF.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Flynic3

Thank you for response J... Both the Trex and EXI look like amazing kits.

The Trex looks great but is way out of my price range in RTF or Kit form.
The EXI looks like it would be a great kit but I am worried about the amount of assembly needed with the ARF kit and what would be a good radio/servo package to go along with this kit. This kit may be just what the doctor ordered and I am impressed with what I see thus far as it looks like I could put together a nice package within my price range with this heli. Although one of the main things that is making me lean towards the aforementioned three RTF kits is the fact that I will have everything I need out of the box ready to go beyond tightening and balancing a few components. I have built R/C planes and my Kyosho heli however at the time I had a talented R/C pilot assisting me along the way. I would rather not spend 5+ hours of assembly and tinkering when I can get a RTF machine that will only need a quick look over then balance/trimming... then again this may not be the best way of thinking either. That is why I am here and I greatly appreciate everyone's input. Keep the comments coming...

Cheers!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:10 AM
J-MICHAEL

Your right... You should maybe stay away from the kits then, and get your feet wet first. I agree with Druss then fully on maybe keeping the Belt CP in your eyesight then. I've never had one, but I've heard good things about them. I believe he has had one also, not sure if he does anymore but just keep that one in mind... The blade 400 isn't to bad also, just be ready however to upgrade the cyclic servos right away, and a couple other things but generally its not to bad of deal for getting someone interested and back into the hobby. The DX6i TX which comes with the RTF Blade 400 is a great radio for starting out with also until you may upgrade in time with what you learn and desire then... Keep us updated on what you may decide or choose ! [8D]

Have a good one,

~ Jeff
Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Flynic3

The E-flite Blade 400 looks like a really nice kit as well but man the pricetag is really just out of reach right now as I was swearing to myself I wouldn't go over $300 and I am already wanting the Esky priced at $400. Your not the first person who has mentioned to me that xheli is bad business and I appreciate the heads up. I am just curious why everyone also steers away from the Exceed/Walkera models that they sale through a few different yahoo stores. It appears to me that these are just reversed engineered models from China but still seem to have a good level of craftsmanship to them. Will there honestly be a huge difference between the Exceed/Walkera and the Esky model let alone the step up to the E-flite? They all seem to have very similar options and features, so it is hard to judge by that and the pictures alone. Again that is why I am here to ask for everyone's help... Will there really be that much of a difference overall?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 AM
simmo8

try an e-flite blade 400 this heli comes with a good 6ch 2.4 dsm2 spectrum radio and the heli is realy nice to fly. i have one myself and love it
good luck mate
happy flying

simmo
Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 AM
augerin2

I'll add my 2 cents worth here also. I am very new to RC heli. Originally bought one from XHeli. Raptorg2 found it to be lacking badly in tech support parts and instrctions that came with it S___Ked !! Due to poor istructions first attempt to Hover caused me to launch it into wife's chandaler when trying to figure out why it would not start up. Instructions failed to mention the little red micro circuit breaker button tucked up inside. Any way Own two Trex's now 450 SA which I've upgraded to V1/V2 and a Trex 500. Spend the money once at local hobby shop that supports whatever you buy for parts, advise, set up help etc. you won't be sorry.
Others just turn out to be excercise in frustrations
Good luck
Jim R
Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Druss

While I agree that the higher end kits are much better, there's a lot to be said for the entry level RTF's.

Personally, I don't think any of the 3 should be used. $200 for the regular belt cp plus another $30 for a new esc and $70 in parts would be better than buying a $300-$400 carbon fiber kit. There is nothing wrong with plastic, the thunder tiger .50 is all plastic (frame and head) and it flies fine.

Use these entry level helis as intended, as trainers, don't upgrade them too much as you'll never get them to fly as well as a trex 450se anyway so don't waste money trying.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Flynic3

I greatly appreciate everyones input and response... I think I am going to either go for the Esky Belt-CP Carbon edition with a new esc or the e-flite blade 400 kit. I have also been recommended and am looking into the SRB Quark and I am curious what everyone thinks about this heli as well. I am also curious as to why and what are the deciding factors into why you would recommend against the Exceed-RC/Walkera helis. I am just curious as I have not heard much as to why these kits should not be chosen. I would also like to have any opinions and explanations as to why I should choose either of the two kits that I am interested in or any others you would recommend.

The reason I would like to go ahead and spend the little extra money for the already upgraded CNC and carbon models is that I would rather have that stock from the factory. I would rather not rely on my own workmanship until I know for sure how to upgrade such parts with the reliability needed for a heli. I was really hoping to spend around $300 but if I am going to make the investment I want to make a very informed decision and have something that will last at least as a backup/park flyer.

Thanks again,

Cheers!

Nic
Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 PM
noobflyer01

the blade400 is an excellent choice for you. it comes with the dx6i which you can use for other helis in the future. plus the blade 400 has better electronics in it than esky belt cp. both is completely upgradeable.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Flynic3

Yeah, I am really starting to be pulled towards the E-Flite Blade 400 even though I was looking at spending less than $300. The radio for this kit is what is really making it worth that premium and you made an excellent point noobflyer01 in that this radio will be perfect for future helis as well when I decide to build a kit. The quality seems to be exactly what I am looking for and the electronics due look much better. I am trying to find one in a local R/C shop to go take a look... What part of FL are you in NBflyer? I am going to have to save much longer then I originally wanted to but I think that the investment will pay off with this heli. The only hard thing is that I want to be flying now and ASAP... guess I need to put out the jar for the poor whiteboy R/C heli fund. ;-)

Cheers!

Nic
Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 PM
noobflyer01

ORIGINAL: Flynic3

Yeah, I am really starting to be pulled towards the E-Flite Blade 400 even though I was looking at spending less than $300. The radio for this kit is what is really making it worth that premium and you made an excellent point noobflyer01 in that this radio will be perfect for future helis as well when I decide to build a kit. The quality seems to be exactly what I am looking for and the electronics due look much better. I am trying to find one in a local R/C shop to go take a look... What part of FL are you in NBflyer? I am going to have to save much longer then I originally wanted to but I think that the investment will pay off with this heli. The only hard thing is that I want to be flying now and ASAP... guess I need to put out the jar for the poor whiteboy R/C heli fund. ;-)

Cheers!

Nic
I live in Orlando, FL. Let me know if you need help in any way. i started 7 months ago with a co-axial heli. i had owned at least 10 more helis since then. Its very intimidatiing at first but it will get much easier once you understand how everything is supposed to work. the transmitter is extremely important for this hobby. being able to understand to program it may take a little while but once you understand it will carry over to all other transmitters.

I have gone from RTF helis barely being able to hover to the present day which i can now programm any electric helis that i can build in just a few hours.

first week video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQZWuIH-Mso
6 months video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCtLafWPUM

SIMULATORS are your best friends. practice,practice, practice.

as it now stands the JR brand of electronics is the best. many will argue what is best ,but just asks the pros and they will tell you the same thing. JR period.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Flynic3

JR has always been a quality product from what I have experienced. What part of Orlando are you located?... East or West? I lived in Orlando up until about a year and a half ago when I moved south to Ft Lauderdale by the sea. I still have family near UCF on the east side so I am occasionally in the area... are there any good clubs or airfields in your area. I know of a decent one near Sanford Fl, close to the airport. I am just going to start out park flying for a bit however would like to find a nice club and join the AMA again soon. I honestly can not wait to be flying again as I am currently unable to do the real thing so this will be the next best option. I am almost dead set on the E-Flite Blade 400 and only need to save my pennies... =)

Cheers!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:48 AM
J-MICHAEL

Flynic3 ~

That's good your getting closer to a decision. The Blade 400 should suit you fine for what your trying to achieve in getting your feet wet again... If you do go the route with the 400 you'll also have good support by others on the forum here also, as there are many flying that particular heli... There is an "E-Flite Forum" on RCU that will help you in your phases with the craft, and also any questions you may want to post before purchasing it, just to be sure and getting some good feedback from the others flying it. If you post there about the 400, you usually will get hit with a lot of posts, as it's pretty active over there... I frequent there the most... Not for the E-Flite products, but just a few threads I've been attached to for over a year, and we just talk about anything and mostly other heli's...LOL... But it's a great place to ask questions for sure. I would post something before you buy it so you can get some extra feedback from the others... I'll be watching for ya if you do...

One thing there going to say, and even in which RC-HELI magazine recommends in there review of the 400, is that the 3 cyclic servos will need to be replaced... There fine for hovering and sport flying, but one crash and they usually strip... You can buy replacement gears cheap, but the best thing to do would be to just upgrade them... There's a few other things also, but I don't want to distract ya from your decision, as there just minor and any RTF heli isn't perfect anyway... You'll be getting a lot of bang for your buck with that bird... The TX will open doors for ya for the future also...

BTW.... The Quark is and has been reviewed as a GREAT heli... By many here who have one, and also by me reading in all my Heli mags also... But save that one for later, as I think the 400 would be your better bet for now for many reasons...

Here is the link to the E-Flite forum : (Lots of info on there for the Blade 400, and lots of friendly folks there) Go snoop around and check it out, and maybe even pop up a post for your inquiries....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_447/tt.htm

Take care & maybe I'll see ya over there in time.....

~ Jeff
Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

I am kinda new to rc helis and my first ever heli was a Blackhawk 450 SE that I got from Ka- Planes in Melborne Fl. It was $349 RTF out of the box and it Really was RTF. Mike at Ka test flys each heli before he ships it. I never flew any kind of rc heli before and was able to fly it the first time and haven't crashed it yet. They also carry all the parts for it if you need them. It seems to be a real nice stable heli to fly since I had no prior experience. I feel it will serve me very well until I can save up enough money to someday move up to a Trex 500. Just another one you might want to look at before making your decision. There is a thread on here somewhere all about BH 450 if you want to see what others think of them before considering buying one. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Flynic3

Thanks again for your help Jeff... after reading up on a lot of reviews and forum post I decided to go with the E-Flite Blade 400. I also spent a lot of time watching video's on youtube and other sources which showed all of the heli's I was interested in flying under numerous environments. Out of all the heli's that I saw the E-Flite Blade 400 seemed to have most stable hover and flight characteristics. I am also impressed with the radio and electronics package with this kit. I really did not want to spend nearly this amount for my first new heli back in the sport but I think that all and all this will be the best decision in the long run. I am still weighing the options but I am certainly appreciate everyones help.
Any further input and suggestions on this or other helis would be great. Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

Nic
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Flynic3

I am surprised I have not came across this before now... thank you Jerry for the recommendation but now I just got a stick in my spokes. ;-)
The price on that heli is really hard to beat and I am curious what others think about this heli. I am going to read up a bit more on this model
but I really do like the price and the fact that this company is only about 3 hours North of where I currently live in case I get into trouble.
What are everyone's thoughts on this as it seems to be just a custom build of a heli-pro kit.

For $329 this really seems to be an excellent choice you can't shake a stick at...

http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1327

Nic
Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
mediclavina

ORIGINAL: Flynic3

I am surprised I have not came across this before now... thank you Jerry for the recommendation but now I just got a stick in my spokes. ;-)
The price on that heli is really hard to beat and I am curious what others think about this heli. I am going to read up a bit more on this model
but I really do like the price and the fact that this company is only about 3 hours North of where I currently live in case I get into trouble.
What are everyone's thoughts on this as it seems to be just a custom build of a heli-pro kit.

For $329 this really seems to be an excellent choice you can't shake a stick at...

http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1327

Nic
That seems to be a good one! I'll personally put that in my personal list of prospects (Axe 400, Blade 400, used Trex450V2, used TT mini-titan, used Lepton EX, Typhoon, Century Swift 3D).
I also want a good cheap RTF CP heli as a step up from my SRB Quark (it can't do inverted flights). I just won't buy one yet until spring next year (or while budget is tight).