Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Piccoboard vs separates!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Piccoboard vs separates!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 03:09 PM
QuantumPSI
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piccoboard vs separates!

which is better piccoboard or separates? And which has the better price? If I were to get the piccoboard and upgrade the motor would this cause a problem? If I were to go to separates I would just need need 2 ESC's right? Why do you need a BEC? Please enlighten me!

Mikel
Old 07-01-2003, 03:24 PM
MBQuart

Default HeliHobby

You don't need a BEC.

HeliHobby has a whole write-up on separates -> here <-. At the top of the article there is a section on the advantages of going with separates.

Enjoy.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:11 PM
jeffs555

Mikel,
You would need two ESC's and a gyro to replace the Piccoboard. To use separate ESC's, you must have a transmitter with revolution mixing, or else use a heading hold gyro. If you already have or are buying a heli transmitter, then two GWS ESC's and a GWS rate gyro are about the same price or a little cheaper than the Piccoboard. If you get a heading hold gyro instead, it will cost about the same as the Piccoboard with HH module, and you will be able to use a 4 channel airplane transmitter.

The advantage to going separates, is that you can replace one piece at a time if it breaks or if you want to upgrade or go brushless. The disadvantage of separates, is that they can be harder to set up initially, especially if you don't get a heading hold gyro.

As for the BEC, you do need one, but it is built into most ESC's and also the Piccoboard. The motors need 8 or more volts to run, and most receivers, gyros and servos will burn out with more than 5.5 volts. The BEC takes the 8 or 12 or more volts from the motor battery, and drops it to a safe level for the receiver, gyro, and servos.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2003, 01:19 AM
MartialArtist

Default Weight issue

Won't this add a lot more WEIGHT to the heli? That would suck to be able to just fly it for like 1-2 min.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:51 AM
jeffs555

It may be a gram or 2 heavier. Not enough to make much difference. If you are worried about weight and flying time, the best move you could make would be to get some E-tec LiPoly battery packs.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:08 AM
GMM

I had the Picoboard to start with, and the gyro went out on it after about a week of flying. I bought separates, with a heading hold gyro. This is the only way to go. The POS picoboard did not last more than a week or two. The separate set up I have is much easier to fly, and did not cost much more than the picoboard. Weight is about the same. I have a 5A GWS ICS 100 for the main motor and an ICS 50 for the tail, GWS receiver, and a CSM HL200 Heading hold gyro. I run an 8 cell 700 mah NiMH batteries, and it seems like I get about 7 to 8 minutes of run time.

Greg