Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

collective for dragon fly

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

collective for dragon fly

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:18 AM
Racer15
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default collective for dragon fly

I was wondering if you could put the collective pitch upgrade for the piccolo of hornet in a feda dragon fly.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Since the Feda/Dragonfly is the heli design that the Century HummingBird sprang from, the answer is yes. See the tips section at Sean's HeliHobby site for adaptation of a Hornet CP upgrade to a H'Bird.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/hummingbird_ccpm.html

Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:24 AM
hotgluedheli

Default working on cp for the dragonfly

I'm trying to convert my feda heli to cp by using and modifiying the stock parts. If it works I will post some pics. This is one damn expensive but fun hobby!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:14 AM
hotgluedheli

Default cp conversion

I completed converting the feda to cp.. but still trying to get it off the ground.. thinking of using a brushless motor for the tail to get rid of the unrealiable brushed motor. Will post some pics when it flies...hopefully
Old 08-19-2003, 08:29 AM
tocano

Is it worthwhile to do or is it cheaper to get a hornet kit with CP? I personally prefer the one motor setup. I still a long way away from doing any CP updgrade since I amstill learning to fly Feda.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:36 AM
hotgluedheli

Default tocano

I'm doing the conversion for my own challenge.. economically its not really worthwhile to do. I still haven't got it stable yet and I've been trying for many hours. But I have learned from flying the fixed pitch feda that the blade pitch is very important.. everything has to be right on or it just won't fly. Collective pitch flybarless is very difficult to get to fly well... although it has been done on the hornet successfully. I will post a pic of my heli soon whether i get it to fly or not.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:07 AM
tocano

Hotglueheli, I like your login. It represents many electric helis especially micros.
After going through the note on helihobby, I am too become interested in doing one. I actually have 2 dragonflies, one of them has broken tail motor, rotor head, main blade, tail, battery support and has no radio at the moment. Also the landing skid has been replaced with piano wires. The parts should arrive in the next two days. Also I happened to order the EDP-50 tail motor. Both canopies are in perfect condition

I absolutely agree with you that the rotor blade pitch has to be right. I bought the second heli basically because I was fed up with the first one. I didn't get off the ground most of the time and I spent time trying different motor thinking that was the problem. The second Feda flew beautifully, well until I crashed it too many times. Then when I broke the main blade I installed the main blade from the first heli. Quess what, like the firs heli it didn't fly!!!
All along the problem was with the main blade. I tried to adjust the blade so both pair look the same but I didn't have too much success. Anyway I hope the 2 pairs of blade that I ordered will give me good result.

Another question that I have, with the CP upgrade does it make the heli fragile? I basically need heli that is strong. You should see when I fly my heli

I think I should finish my Corona first before embarking on another project. I don't know which one I like better, building or flying. They are both fun especially on micros.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:17 AM
hotgluedheli

Default tocano

Wait till you see my heli.. you will know why I use my nick. As far as robustness in a crash.. i would think a crash of a cp head would cause more damage since it is connected directly to the swashplate. But I haven't had the opportunity yet to see since i can barely get it off the ground.. I think its something to do with the blades not being perfectly balanced and tracking perfectly. I found when i was flying the feda that if you make the flybar paddles at 45 degree angles that it makes it a lot more stable in hover.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Racer15
My Feedback: (3)

how long has it taken you so far to change it into CP?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:00 AM
hotgluedheli

Default 2 long

it seemed like a long time..but actually converting it to cp is not that difficult.. All you need is another rotor head and a steel 2 mm shaft from an electric motor.. four 2 mm bearings and 2 collars with set screws. The Difficult thing is getting it to fly!