Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

WARNING : Smartech Aero Hawk / Skylark and Upgraded motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

WARNING : Smartech Aero Hawk / Skylark and Upgraded motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 04:55 PM
Wireless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING : Smartech Aero Hawk / Skylark and Upgraded motor

Hi All,

Some of you may remember my Smartech Aero Hawk burned out it's motor, so I replaced it with a Piccolo G310 tuning motor. This motor didn't have enough speed to lift the heli out of ground effect for more than a couple of minutes so I put in a standard 280 from Overlander with the same result. Today I got a Graupner Speed 300 motor and installed that. The heli was VERY nervous and just about impossible to fly. After a few minutes of tweaking the pots on the board I got it stable but after a few more seconds, the heli stopped. No drive to the main rotor. The problem was the speed controller unit is burned out because it got so hot.

Here endeth today's lesson. DO NOT put a Speed 300 in a Smartech heli without upgraded electronics because you will kill it within MINUTES...!

On another note, I now have a functioning GWS 4ch Tx and 4ch Pico Rx but the rest of my heli 'tronics are dead. Any suggestions on what I can replace them with as I have NO IDEA where to start. Seeing as the heli is an exact copy of a Piccolo Fun how about a Piccoboard...? I heard they aren't so good though and I'd be ditching a perfectly good GWS Pico Rx What would I need regards to separates...?

Thanks,

W *pi$$ed off*
Old 07-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Wireless

Further to my last post, I discovered the problem - one of the IC's on the board has literally MELTED right off...! I'll solder it on and see how we go. Can anyone with a Smartech helicopter that uses a similar board tell me the orientation of the chip...? Does the dot on the IC go in the top right or bottom left...?

TIA,

W

Old 07-14-2003, 09:44 PM
astrocyl

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here you go, the dot can be clearly seen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	93869_41004.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	53901  
Old 07-15-2003, 06:59 AM
Wireless

Thanks astrocyl, much appreciated. I have resoldered the IC onto the board and removed the Graupner Speed300 motor. On reinstallation of the G310 Tuning Motor I noticed (bar the label) it look absolutely IDENTICAL to the Speed 300. Heli now back to it's fly for 30s before giving up routine.

I priced up some separates and it's about £90 to ft it with dual ESC's and a Gyro with HH.

I'm yet to decide where to go with this one, I might well just give the whole lot up as a bad job and move up to a Raptor or similar. My house is too small to fly indoors properly anyway, and there's loads of places to fly outdoors around my place, so perhaps I'd be better off following that route...?

Not too expensive to get styarted up either. There's some well priced second hand ones around.

We'll see...

W
Old 07-15-2003, 09:36 PM
astrocyl

You're welcome. I just got my aero-hawk last week and already started modifying some parts. I could lift the helicopter but then it is too unstable to maintain a hover. So I'm replacing the swashplate and everything above it (except blades) with the best upgrades for piccolo (AL swashplate, AL hub, anti-rotation link, etc.....) . The stock swashplate keeps coming apart and the tray linkage is broken (don't know how, no collision either). I hope it will be better cause I'm putting a lot of money in it (Luckily, the helicopter kit is quite cheap).

Are you using a pico board? I heard someone with a skylark is using that with a new motor and no problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Wireless

Sounds like your Aero Hawk will be really nice when it's done. I had none of the problems you have had. With a stock Aero Hawk, I was able to hold the helicopter completely steady.

Can't justify spending $$$'s on upgrades, just want it to be reasonable reliable...!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:29 PM
micronut154

Default RE: WARNING : Smartech Aero Hawk / Skylark and Upgraded motor

RE: So I'm replacing the swashplate and everything above it (except blades) with the best upgrades for piccolo (AL swashplate, AL hub, anti-rotation link, etc.....)

Please tell us how these mods work out . I have an aerohawk coming and will be looking for some mods when I get good.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:15 AM
flyingchaos

Wireless,

That is funny as hell. Thanks for the laugh and don't take it the wrong way.
I'm a comp engr with some EE background and never thought that you could literally burn off a chip by chip-self-desoldering!

I can imagine that the chip would explode, but not come off so cleanly.

That's good stuff...

Anyway, there is a posting around here, fairly new, about someone using a v-tail mixer and was able to cheaply use a 4 channel radio with separate main and tail motor escs and a regular non-HH gyro.

Though, you have the all-in-one combo it looks like...so you may have to get an Rx, gyro, esc anyway... :-(

-Dan
Old 02-10-2004, 01:21 PM
bdesh123

Hi guys thanks for the great posting, I am a dumb pilot. Burned out my ESC. I am adding a pic of my ESC. I think by mistake i pluged it with a diffrent adapter which has a 12V out put. If you guys could take a look that will be great . any suggestion will be appriciated. I dont have much idea in Electronics.
thanks again [:'(]
and the person who upgraded his aerohawk. please help me with upgrading my Heli. You can find all these parts in http://helihobby.com/
I have a Aero hawk. I want to upgrade it.
If you could tell me which one is better

1)Complete CNC Super CCPM Head ( 3D Ready
OR
2)HI-RPM Piccolo 3D Core - For Extreme Flying
which one of these brake the most?[img][/img]
Can I operate both of them with 4 channel radio?
I am also planing to buy a HH gyro.. which one will be better for micro heli.

1)CSM HLG200 with Heading Lock - Case Version
or
2) Ikarus Profi Helicopter Gyro with Heading Hold

I have a 6 chanell futaba reciever. FPR712DF. Will it support the gyros?
please help me.
thanks for your time and help
tak care
sami
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98102.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	99491  
Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM
flytech

I have a Skylark,(mostly the same a san Aerohawk), and have upgraded it also with many parts. I have found, much to my surprise, that even testing it with three different carbon fiber main drive shafts, and nothing on it except the swash plate, it causes the swash plate to move back and forth just a little bit. I discovered this has been causing the vibration and wobble, which of course gets worse as speed increases.Could the bearings in the flybar be some how causing this? It is hard to believe that three drive shafts were made poorly, but considering the low qality of this heli, I guess it's possible. One idea I am goijng to try is a upgraded titanium drive shaft and nylon gear. I, like many of you, am stubborn and would like to get this heli to fly right.