Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

hummingbird questions ** help **

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

hummingbird questions ** help **

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:41 PM
zetex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hummingbird questions ** help **

hi all,

i have just ordered a hummingbird package from midland helicopter here in the uk.

The package i choose was the one with everything in it including the transmitter. I have been reading loads of posts in these forums and that has been very helpful...

i just have a couple of question that i'am hoping someone can help me with, i have never flown a helicopter of any sorts before. but iam very excited at the thought of this little present to myself.

just wondering if anyone has any advise on what next to purchase for a better flying experience, ie batteries, changers, mods etc.

many thanks
zetex
Old 07-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Dodgey99

1. do a search mate, it's all here.

I bought mine from midland helis. (and it was my first bird)

Top tips...

1. Put the training gear on carefully and neatly.
2. Balance the rotor blades (search here)
3. Balance the tail rotor (ditto)
4. be really thorough. Set up all servos exactly as instructed.

The extra 2 hours spent on the above will make a WORLD of difference. Trust me, and 1000's of others. Please believe me, a badly balanced and setup micro heli is a world of hell to fly. A good one is a delight.

When youa re learning to hover TRIM THE HELI IMMEDIATELY. ..... Lift off for a second (a few inches will do) and then land. Did it go forward? if so trim a little back. Did it do left? trim a little right. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat (you get the idea) until you can't get it any better (you won't get it perfect, you can't).

Once you can hover a few feet off the ground (I could within half an hour, and many others do) then keep a constant eye on the trimming, it will be a little different a few feet off the floor as you have you have cleared most of the ground turbulence (ground effect).

Your aim is this - the heli should hover for about half a second without zooming off anywhere. It will NEVER haqnge in the air for more than a second or two. You will always be compensating. You get the hang real quick.

I skipped all of the above. Stuck it all together and needed new main blades within the hour. (and new tail rotor). You WILL crash. Loads :-)

Nearly everything can be mended with CA (superglue) or tape. My main blades were held together with selotape. My tail made 95% out of fag packet card. Don't despair. You CAN mend just about everything.

Forget mods for now. wait till you break something.

Treat the battery with care. It's sh1te. Charge for 1 to 1 1/2 hours till bat is quite warm to touch. DO NOT OVERCHARGE. One of my batts lasted 2 weeks, the other two months.

Li-pos ets await you but trust me on this one, you will be just fine as you are for the time being.

Good luck.

Come back and tell me how amazing your first hover feels :-)

go to http://www.dream-models.com/h/index.html

Please please do this, read the lessons, if you can't be ar$ed to do them all, at least take heed. I know about 40+ people, including me who followed his lessons and they work well.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 PM
zetex

Thanks alot mate, for the advise.

I have being reading through the posts for approx 3 days now and i was getting a little confused.

The information you gave in your post was just the information i wanted, thanks you for that.

hopefully by the weekend i should have some pictures and a short video for everyones viewing pleasure. I can't wait for it to arrive as i have always been very keen to try flying a helicopter and hopefullly from here i will continue and progress to more adventurous helicopters in the coming years.

I was hoping to join a club but has yet i have not been able to find one in my area (preston, lancashire) so it looks like i'll be going solo for the time being.

many thanks i will post again asap with an update

thanks once again
zetex
Old 07-15-2003, 08:17 AM
Dodgey99

Not a problem. If you have always been keen I bet you'll be OK. :-)