RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Hirobo XRB PICS!!! and build info. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/2649420-hirobo-xrb-pics-build-info.html)

iuseyew 12-31-2005 05:57 PM

RE: Hirobo XRB PICS!!! and build info.

double post.. sorry

iuseyew 12-31-2005 05:58 PM

also i have seen but cant currently find i think it was a stabilzer bar that said high performance or somthing like that it was not the OEM one though i will post it as soon as i find it again! also i still dont see a heatsink!!

Tom N 12-31-2005 06:45 PM

Hi Icantseenothing

Click on the link on my previous post. When the screen loads look under the first two pictures, on the extreme left just under "View Cart", in big red letters "Heat Sink Kit". Click on this and you will find details with a series of pictures of how to install :eek:

HTH

Tom

iuseyew 12-31-2005 11:32 PM

wow.. its in an odd spot!! i am kinda blind i guess.. thanks for the assistance!! isnt adding the heatsink going to make the motors run harder to lift the extra weight and in turn cause it to heat up or does this actually work out?
Also has anyone added a different tail instead of the stock truss i have already ordered a replacment but if i break it again i will want a cheaper alternative!

Tom N 01-01-2006 03:34 PM

Hi Iuseyew:

The heat sinks only weigh a few grams. I would imagine the heat dissipation would far outwiegh the extra power to lift them. I think I saw on an earlier post that someone had fitted their own heatsinks and claimed to run 3 battery packs back to back with no overheating! I doubt Rick would sell them if they didn't improve performance.

To all:
I had my first flights today in the local hall. Converted schoolroom so not huge, about 35' by 20' of clear space. Wow, this is more fun. I left the flybar weights on as this was my first time but even so managed some decent figure eights and piros. It is difficult to accurately trim the XRB in small places because of rotorwash off furniture, walls etc. You can't really leave it to settle before it gets near something and you have to take control. In the hall I got it trimmed for hands off virtually indefinitely. It gives much more confidence when you know the blades are balanced, tracking correctly and everything is in trim. I did notice a slight inclination to track left in forward flight but not all the time. It was slightly disconcerting to get moving forward and then the nose would bob up slightly and it would virtually stop due I guess to those balance weights trying to maintain a hover! Got a bit panicky nose in but when I kept it moving it was much easier to keep orientation.
Okay weights coming off tonight and paddles on. I will re-trim and have another go tomorrow. See if I can do some nice slow piros while drifting around the hall [8D].
This really is a fun little heli and miraculously it is still in one piece. However as I am getting more confident I am aware I am entering the Danger Zone ;)

Tom

csw 01-01-2006 04:27 PM

I have had my xrb for a couple of days and have flown it three times, on each occasion after about 13 - 14 mins the motors cut out! There seemed to be lots on battery power left as I was hovering at half stick at the time. Can someone advise me is this is normal.

Thanks

Tom N 01-01-2006 04:57 PM

Hi csw

Only had mine 7 days so not an expert but if you mean that the motors spool down automatically rather than cut out [X(] (regardless how much you waggle the throttle) then yes it does seem this is meant to happen.

It would appear those awfully clever Hirobo people have designed a circuit that recognises voltage is getting low and cuts power gradually (so you can still land safely) thus preventing damage to the lipos by over discharging.

On my XRB the red and green lights that flicker on and off in flight to indicate what the gyro is doing combine to flash orange and I lose control of the throttle, the motors slowly reduce power and the heli drifts down still under cyclic control for a soft(ish) landing. I always get some warning of this as towards the end of the battery I wiil have had to increase throttle and the nose is more inclined to drift (yaw).

I'm sure one of the more experienced owners on here can explain more technically what is happening.

Are you enjoying your XRB? I just love mine!

HTH

Tom

csw 01-01-2006 05:16 PM

Thanks for that tom. Yes the motors do spool down slowly but with no advanced warning. What flight time do you get from a fully charged battery?

Tom N 01-01-2006 05:41 PM

Hi csw

I have no idea! I haven't timed them. I usually take a break after a few minutes to let the motors (and me) cool down. Usually get three shortish flights from a battery so probably similar time to yourself. Doesn't seem long when you are having fun :)

The extra battery I have just recieved from Rick in the States (see earlier posts on this thread) is only slightly higher capacity at 850mah but seems to last quite a bit longer and is much better and half the price! When I change back to the original battery, being a little lighter, the trim is slightly out so I will probably buy a second 850mah and keep the original as a spare or maybe Ebay it.

How are you getting on with the flying? Where in the UK are you?

Tom

arcticflyer 01-02-2006 12:54 PM

XRB Guys, I'm getting kinda frustrated with the "fact" that my heli will not turn to the right[:@] I have read the instructions more times than I would like to think about and know how to trim this heli out. Despite that it still won't turn right in forward flight. Left turns are as smooth as silk. I have gotten so used to cross controlling (full right when going forward) that when I get my next heli I am going to crash for sure! I have dug through this forum and found questions and posts where other guys are having the same problem.
bdavsion, I found where the instructions cautioned about the pitch being out of wack and have tried that fix several times with negative results. This is the only thing I have found that I really don't like about the model. I realize this is an indoor trainer for small areas the problem is, it is training me and others to cross control way to much in larger spaces like a gym.
Flypaper, I remember you mentioning a mod where the servo connects, do you have any pics of the mod and will your heli turn right in forward flight smoothly after the mod?
Would stiffer blades correct some of the problem. If so, I am up for carbon blades or anything you guys suggest as a substitute. Don't get me wrong I love this model. It got me back into RC and introduced me to heli's which I now realize I like alot better than fixed wing. Skip

iuseyew 01-02-2006 01:13 PM

i found another topic ralating to the tail boom that i wanted to do to my XRB it is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2916339/anchors_3717016/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3717016]HERE!!!![/link]

also additional body can be found [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329900]HERE!!!![/link]

Also a Heatsink that is interchangeable with our motor on this heli is located [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKBJ9&P=Z]HERE!!!![/link]

Dart373 01-04-2006 05:52 PM

who has good prices on these batteries? They are way way way overpriced. Looking for a spare.

iuseyew 01-04-2006 08:21 PM

look for rickyblazes website in this thread!! he has the BEST price anywhere.. i cant find anywhere cheaper!

Flypaper 2 01-04-2006 11:32 PM

Skip:
After the mod it does turn much better to the right. I'm not to good at the camera thing but i'll give it a shot tomorrow. Try turning the adjustment screws on the top blades to the left a turn at a time to se if it can be made to turn to the right. Are you using the transmitter that came with it or your own ?
Gord.

drapam 01-05-2006 06:27 AM

I read somewhere this AM about a person having difficulty with fitting the Safety Skid.
If someone can tell me how to add attachments, I will take some pics of mine and put them on the forum
CHAKA

Flypaper 2 01-05-2006 07:34 AM

Click the post reply button instead of the fast reply botton. Near the bottom there is an (attachments) button.

drapam 01-05-2006 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Flypaper 2
If anyone is interested, here are some pics of my XRB with Safety Skids attached.
Note: I painted the skids red/black on the left hand side to help me distinguish left/right when nose on.
Also, the cross members keep springing off so I used bits of sellotape.
Hope this is of some use to someone
CHAKA

drapam 01-05-2006 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, other two did not upload. Try again
CHAKA

woodymaxx 01-05-2006 04:46 PM

Hello I have had a vibration in my choppper that I have tryed to get rid of forever now that is driveing me nuts. I replaced both shafts, the carbon and inner metal one, and it is still there. I have everythin taken off of the carbon shaft except for the gear and the thin that holds on the swash plate stuff and you can still see it woble. it gets wores when you put all the swash plate stuff on. and when I have it throttled up and push forward on the right stick it makes more noise and shakes more.... whats this all about? also the shaft isn't coming up threw the swash plate straght. its more forward I will try to post a p[ic later... any suggestions?

woodymaxx 01-05-2006 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the picture of my lama. the shaft is way off center... is that supposed to be like that?

iuseyew 01-05-2006 07:56 PM

ummm.. not i dont think it should be like that! i will check mine when i get home

arcticflyer 01-06-2006 01:37 AM

Gord, I have tried the pitch adjustment screws without much luck. When I get to a certain point those screws start to affect the rudder and the heli wants to nose right in hover. I am using the radio that came with the heli, but at the same time I have been considering getting a good radio to mabey mix the problem out and for use with future heli's. The next time I fly it I will make a sketch of what the blades look like in forward flight. From what I remember they are kinda wacked out. As the heli is flying away from you with full forward and full right the blades are realy close together (nearly touching) on the right and wide on the left. Also I've got some new parts coming (blades, upper rotor head, main shaft, and flybar) that I hope might help the problem as well as I have crashed hard several times. Look forward to the pics! Skip

Flypaper 2 01-06-2006 06:13 AM

Skip:
I believe your heading in the right direction. Set the screws till it turns right again and use the rudder trim to get it to straighten out. Where is the rudder trim on the transmitter set now? I have the trans. that came with it working now so I'll see how it works with it to see if I can duplicate the problem.

JCDHeli 01-06-2006 08:45 AM

hello

I have been flying my xrb with great success for over a month now until last night. While flying it just went crazy to on side. Ii was lucky and only broke all four blades. The cause of the crash was the same cause i Had when i first started to fly the helicopter and that is the pinion gear on the bottom motor had a cracked and lost some teeth. Lesson learned for now on I will inspect my gears before every flight. when it works i can hover the heli without touching the remote it is so stable and easy to fly. This week i will change the pinion gear i hAVE DONE THIS BEFORE IT IS NOT THAT EASY. Good luck to all and keep flying

Flypaper 2 01-06-2006 12:10 PM

Skip:
don't worry about the Hirobo trans. It works as good as the Futaba 9C.

JCDHELI
If you haven't thrown the blades out yet, glue them back together with hot glue, Get some Hockey tape and put it on the leading edge. It will cover the blades about half way back as it's one in. wide. Cut out the hole where the screw goes through the blade. Much stronger than original. Outside testing the trans. for Skip, bit of a breeze blowing and ran into a telephone pole about 6 ft. up. Landed on its side in the snow. Straightened the blades up and took off again. Guess you don't have to worry about the snow bit.:D