RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Helis (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/)
-   -   Hirobo XRB PICS!!! and build info. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-helis-167/2649420-hirobo-xrb-pics-build-info.html)

Wildjones 01-15-2006 02:17 AM

RE: Hirobo XRB PICS!!! and build info.

Even if it broke by the little black piece? Ok so i hot glue then tape it how? Just over the black part? then the blades don't move smoothly and freely like they should....

Flypaper 2 01-15-2006 06:36 AM

Wild:
Give the blade root a gentle squeeze with a pair of pliers although I never had to do that. The foam is fairly soft. Mine are taped from the root to the tip. In fact I cut the blades on an angle just behind the black plastic thing so the blades could swivel back further when you hit something.
Skip:
I bought my chopper from Great Hobbies as they had the best price. Check for parts. There is another place in Quebec, supposed to be the Canadian distributor but the price was out of this world. I'll see If I can find the address. In the meantime I would get some of that plastic Kitchen cutting board and try to make one. Bought a sheet at Home Depot. Don't know how your fixed for stores where you are.

arcticflyer 01-15-2006 01:04 PM

Gord, I'm in an isolated (fly in and out) Inuvialuit village 300 miles north of the arctic circle. One store here, a small Northern with four isles of food one isle of hardware and two isles of clothes. I'd give my left arm for a Home Depot! The good thing is the control arm did not completely break in half. I am going to try super glue today and hope that will do, till I find a part. Skip
Used thin cotton sewing thread and made a "cast":D After wrapping the part with the thread I soaked it in thin CA. I think it's actually stronger now than before. Should last until I find a new one.

Flypaper 2 01-16-2006 08:13 AM

I see you have everything under control. Was going to say what about 1/6 or 3/32 aluminum sheet U shape with three holes. pressed in pins and threaded hole or two nuts and threaded rod for the ball joint. Must be pretty isolated this time of the year. Weather would'nt be to good for bush pilots either.

arcticflyer 01-16-2006 01:19 PM

Gord, This time of year it's not to bad. Flying weather is bad in the spring and fall when fog and icing conditions are bad. We have an ice road (December to April) that takes us across a short stretch of ocean then down a frozen river about 200 clicks south to Inuvik which is a population of 4000. Then if you really need Walmart it's a couple thousand clicks to Whitehorse, Yukon. Needless to say hobby stores don't exist so making parts on occasion will be necessary. I'm going to try your aluminum sheet idea as I think it will be better than the stock plastic part. Skip

Wildjones 01-16-2006 01:21 PM

Wow You're making me feel very grateful for the 4 or 5 hobby shops within 30 miles of me here....How far is a click by the way?

Flypaper 2 01-16-2006 04:40 PM

Havn't had mine apart yet, so are the two sidepins pressed into the U shaped yoke or the vertical blade pieces? Would be easier if it was the vertical pieces.
Wildjones. Click is short for kilometer. Easy way to figure it out in the ballpark is use six for a multiplier. 6 times 4 is 24 so it's roughly 2400 miles. How'd you make out repairing the broken blades.

arcticflyer 01-16-2006 09:23 PM

Gord, The pins are pressed into the the u-shaped yoke. After the repair "cast":), I flew (2) batteries through it and it flew really well.:D If I get another heli within the next month or so I might box it up the XRB and send it to MRC for examination on the cross control problem. Maybe they can figure it out and fix it. I'm so used to it now it really doesn't bother me. Things are becoming automatic now (don't have to think about it) as far as control inputs. I feel like I'm getting closer to upgrading to a single rotor and have been reading the posts on some other heli's. Man, the "knockoffs" in this part of the hobby are astounding. I've never seen so many copies all claiming to be the best. Makes the next step up a bit confusing:eek:
Skip

Wildjones 01-16-2006 10:01 PM

Well havent had a chance to fly with the fixxed blades but I screwed up on one of my A blades so I put it in my kit with the rest of the spairs and grabbed two new As...Found out im having transmitter problems again and my battery isnt dead yet so i cant recharge it...Heh not in a good spot...

Flypaper 2 01-17-2006 06:49 AM

Wildjones: Yes, they do get to bad to fix. I've used 3 of the 12 new blades.
Skip. I just resurected an old chopper by replacing the 06 alky burner with an electric motor in a Lite Machines. A real handfull after flying the Hirobo as it has no inherent stability whatsoever but it works well. I just have to learn how to fly it. :D A flying buddy has a Helimax x400 that works very well. He tried a loop and we were picking parts out of the snow for five minutes. That was 2 weekends ago. Was flying it in the dome again on Sun. Have fun.

arcticflyer 01-17-2006 12:47 PM

Gord, From all of the posts I've read leaving the XRB and moving up is almost like starting over again. Orientation should be the same but that's as far as it appears to go. I think I'm going to get a SIM before I try any loops or inverted flight. Takes to long to get parts up here!

Flypaper 2 01-17-2006 05:49 PM

I'm not done with the Hirobo by a long shot, to much fun and more relaxed flying:D Still trying to do figure eights, nose first, backwards, and sideways. Different sized fig. 8s at different heights. All sorts of variations. Don't think i'll ever get bored with it. Outside it keeps you on your toes just keeping it in one place:) Have fun.

Wildjones 01-17-2006 08:37 PM

Heh seems how we kind of branched off and started talking about possible upgrades to the XRB (love mine so much) has anyone tried the Voyager E from JR? I was almost set on that for my next heli but saw the pricetag which is really close to $1000 [X(] ...Phew now I know Im not going to get another Heli anytime soon. Looked into a nitro Raptor 30 by Thunder Tiger and liked it alot. I have a thunder Tiger plane- great quality, great flyer, but just cant get to the flying field... I guess Im going to have to try and find something that I can fly in my backyard which about half an acre or a bit more or in the court where not too many cars drive by. The neighbors dont mind the noise; I have a Tmaxx that I used to run just about every weekend until it just wont start anymore... I know I have time to search but seems how Gord tried a bigger heli from the XRB I thought I just might see if anyone had any advice... Has anyone rigged their XRB with a small hook and picked up things to deliver them in other places yet?

Ohhh and I think I already asked this awhile ago but here I go again =)...What batteries do you guys use for your transmitter? Do you use like a standard duracell or energizer or a rechargeable AA of some sort?

Flypaper 2 01-18-2006 07:22 AM

Hi Wild:
I mae a pickup hook for mine but havn't tried it out yet. My trans. has a 1400 ma NIMH batt. you might try one of the single rotor choppers as an update. Should be able to pick something up for under 300. bucks but there is still lots to learn from the Hirobo.

Tmgdwn 01-26-2006 04:28 PM

Hi!

I’ve been flying my XRB for a few weeks now and what a magic little model it is!! Space is very tight in the living room, but what a little beauty!

Have started repairing the blades with hot glue, but as don’t have hockey tape, just put some clear sticky tape round the join. Works fine!

Have flown it outside a couple of times, but it can’t cope with any head wind ;)

Flypaper 2 01-26-2006 08:49 PM

Try putting a layer of tape from end to end on the leading edge. Will help to strengthen the blades overall. Have fun and welcome to the club.:D

Wildjones 01-27-2006 12:24 AM

Well I finally found some time last weekend to fly with the repaid blades and I think i did something wrong =/. Make a little too much hot glue? :D Its a lot heavier and needs more throttle to get off the ground. Not to mention its a lot more "tippy" in the air (i can't think of any other words to describe what I mean). For example strafing or using the left or right aileron and then going th opposite direction makes it wobble in the air...Anyone with repaired blades seem to notice this with their helis? Other than that the blades work nicely!

Flypaper 2 01-27-2006 06:39 AM

Try putting a new set of blades on it to see what it does. If the blades get bent enough times with to much pitch, it will slow the blades down and make them work harder, usually giving a shorter motor run too.The blades also act like a gyro. If they slow down they lose affectiveness and wobble like a top slowing down.

woodymaxx 01-27-2006 04:25 PM

I was woundering where everybody gets there parts for there XRB's at? my local hobby shop will not order them and Helihobby.com has been a big joke... so is there other online places I can order parts for the heli? thanks a lot

Tom N 01-27-2006 08:24 PM

Hi Woodymaxx

I'm based in UK but get my replacement batteries from the US http://www.geocities.com/rickyblaze_rc/index.html

Replacement parts I get from Hong Kong:
http://rc-mushroom.com/index.php?cPath=191_192

Despite the distances delivery is usually quicker! The service is better and the prices are much better!

RC Mushroom are very good. Postage is a little high for one off items (still better than buying in UK) but doesn't increase much for multiple items which makes them excellent value overall.

I recently purchased a cockpit interior for $11.50 which looks great. There is a slight weight penalty which means I have to move the battery back a little to maintain C of G but have not noticed any change to flight characteristics or duration. Anyone else got one of these?

HTH

Tom

Wildjones 01-28-2006 05:10 PM

Well today was my lucky day I guess. I went to go see one of my dad's friends who also owned a heli and to show off my XRB and he wanted to show off his E-Flite Blade CP... We talked and then he wanted to see the XRB in action (he liked it even though mines still out of whack since the blades broke and it fell hard). I tried to tune it out as much as I could before the battery died so I could give him a shot (he said he was having a hard time getting his heli into a hover). He flies gliders alot and just couldnt get used to a heli so he decided to give it up after he broke the tail motor to his E-Flite Blade CP. He gave me his Blade CP and needless to say Im very appreciative and happy!:D It s in pretty good shape, just needs a new tail motor (the way the tail motor is mounted on the thing is a design flaw IMO)and some touch ups on the blades. I know I wont be flying it any time soon because I have a lot to learn from the XRB but as soon as I get the basics completely nailed (i still cant fly with it facing towards me lol) I want to start practicing on the blade...

Biscuit 01-29-2006 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Tom N

Hi Woodymaxx

I'm based in UK but get my replacement batteries from the US http://www.geocities.com/rickyblaze_rc/index.html

Replacement parts I get from Hong Kong:
http://rc-mushroom.com/index.php?cPath=191_192

Despite the distances delivery is usually quicker! The service is better and the prices are much better!

RC Mushroom are very good. Postage is a little high for one off items (still better than buying in UK) but doesn't increase much for multiple items which makes them excellent value overall.

I recently purchased a cockpit interior for $11.50 which looks great. There is a slight weight penalty which means I have to move the battery back a little to maintain C of G but have not noticed any change to flight characteristics or duration. Anyone else got one of these?

HTH

Tom

Hi Tom, I to am based in the uk as well, I bought the cockpit thought it was very heavy but it seems to fly ok. I am losing a bit of interrest in this helicopter because of the only turn left routine. Done all the mods nothing seems to work, got a TRex SE for Christmas, goes where you put it. XRB nice for hovering but thats about it.
Steve

Tom N 01-30-2006 01:11 PM

Hi Biscuit

Not losing interest in the XRB at all (yet). Still can't hover nose in! I just find it so convenient to be able to fly safely in the house during the winter. I do find right aeliron (roll) compromised in FF but still have some if pitch not pushed right forward. Can do figure eights at slow speed OK but agree turns better to the left when going forward.

I like the scale appearance and ultimately would like a large (at least 30 size) scale electric heli.

I am probably going to get The ESKY HB CP2 next as it is such good value and should help with the next stage on the learning curve. The TRex SE is an excellent heli but not exactly cheap and I would rather put the money towards something bigger for outdoors in the summer.

Back to the XRB. Has anyone tried the carbon blades and got any feedback or views? They are expensive but if they help in FF they could always be kept for occaisons when flying in halls or bigger spaces. I don't think the "trouble and strife" would like her furniture dinged if using them in the house!

Tom

Tmgdwn 01-30-2006 03:02 PM

I’m also looking for something to fly outside in the summer, will probably go for a 30 size machine as don’t want to invest in heavy duty batteries just yet [:o]

Does anyone else suffer from giro drift on the XRB? I find that I need to put in progressively more left rudder to ensure that both LEDs are out when rotors stationary. This can be re-set by switching off and then on again, but it does mean that during a flight have to keep compensating.

Am getting the hang of nose in hovering now, helped by many years of landing slope soarers, often have to spend quite a lot of time behind the ridge killing off the height! [8D]

bdavison 01-30-2006 03:47 PM

Ive still got mine, and still enjoy flying it. Its got more flight time that most of my other planes and helis.

Ive converted some E-flite BladeCX blades over to the XRB....Im still running trials on it to make sure there arent any unforseen problems associated. So far it is working well. The blades dont bust assuming you dont hit anything with them unlike the foamy blades that tend to snap after you get some flights on them.

So far so good.
Ill post pics of the mods soon.