Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to jets, need help

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

New to jets, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to jets, need help

Hey guys,
I've reached a point in my flying ability where I'm ready to try out a jet. What I really need to know is what is the best jet to get for a beginner jet pilot?

I'm thinking a fairly slow and DURABLE jet would be a good start. No so much slow as in really not too fast. Something that can slow down for a landing in a reasonable amount of space. I'm looking for a park flyer that can land on grass.

Ideas please!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:10 AM
rcmiket

Default RE: New to jets, need help

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ7075

This one is pretty straight forward flies great right out of the box.
Mike
Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Raycamaro

You won't be formation flying with your Champ and a Habu!
Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Wheelnut

Mike,
Thanks, but I saw one of those at our club field today and I don't think that's the one.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Snyapse sor something small like that.

Ray, Of course not, the Champ we own is mostly for my son. I fly it now and then but that's about it. I mostly fly my PZ Wildcat, GWS Formosa and other planes like that.

I can't believe I have no other suggestions other than the Habu.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Raycamaro

I was kidding about the Champ.

I just bought a a Habu on ebay I haven't received yet. I have flown a Diablo I just bought which if you can find one is pretty cheap. It's underpowered but flew in a mild wind and was kind of fun. I also have a Banana Hobby F16 and a MB456 Delta Twin I haven't flown yet.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

I also have a Habu, and it is a great EDF. I would advise you to check THIS EDF out for your first try, however. It has been on the market for a little over two years and has very good spare parts support. In addition, there are a couple of build threads on it on this website and the "other" RC Forum. I just ordered one a few days ago....they're on sale for $99. ALL YOU NEED IS TO ADD A COUPLE OF 9GRAM SERVOS, SERVO EXTENTION WIRES, A 3S 2200mAh 25C or higher LIPO, AND YOUR RADIO/RECEIVER.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php.../category/2681
Old 10-10-2010, 08:08 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Mike,
Thanks, but I saw one of those at our club field today and I don't think that's the one.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Snyapse sor something small like that.

Ray, Of course not, the Champ we own is mostly for my son. I fly it now and then but that's about it. I mostly fly my PZ Wildcat, GWS Formosa and other planes like that.

I can't believe I have no other suggestions other than the Habu.
Please do not get the SNYAPSE by Great Planes or Electrifly! It is made of very poor foam (Injected foam) and a hand launcher at that so, if you do not hand launch it like thowing a Javelin then, please don't even bother! One bad throw and the Nose will be forever bent or cracked and worse the foam crushes and will not come back into shape like the Expanded (EPP) foam types.

Let me ask you.....(You have not given any requirements): Where do you intend to fly your first EDF Jet model?

1. An open field.
2. An RC Club with just a grass field with very good grass cutting and rolling maintainence?
3. At a location where you have a smooth Asphalt Surface with little or no obstecles?
4. At a nice RC Club with Asphalt or Concrete smooth runway?

If you can give us some kind of idea perhaps someone will provide alternatives to the Habu.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: gary41

I also have a Habu, and it is a great EDF. I would advise you to check THIS EDF out for your first try, however. It has been on the market for a little over two years and has very good spare parts support. In addition, there are a couple of build threads on it on this website and the ''other'' RC Forum. I just ordered one a few days ago....they're on sale for $99. ALL YOU NEED IS TO ADD A COUPLE OF 9GRAM SERVOS, SERVO EXTENTION WIRES, A 3S 2200mAh 25C or higher LIPO, AND YOUR RADIO/RECEIVER.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php.../category/2681

Granted it is a very good deal for this specific model but, I am not too certain this is the correct 1st EDF Jet model for a beginner?

Carter, a good friend and RC Club member / Instructor / Safety Officer has one of these exact models and built it up for good performance so, he installed and modified the model with lots of re-enforcements.

My point "is" that this model gets pretty tiny very quickly even if you try to fly it with certain recommended power system so, I am not too sure this is a beginner JET model for Wheelnut but, of course it will be his decision.

Here's Carter's F-16 in action that I video recorded:

http://www.vimeo.com/2777472

http://www.vimeo.com/2777535

http://www.vimeo.com/2777543

and...

http://www.vimeo.com/2777559
Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.

I plan to fly it both in a local school field which as fairly rough grass area. Belly landing only.
I also plan to fly it at my local club which unfortunately has the same situation. Belly landing only. For me that is with my smaller planes.
They do fly big gas planes there and land with their large wheels, but one guy broke his forward landing gear when he hit a small pot hole in the field today.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 PM
guapoman2000

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.

I plan to fly it both in a local school field which as fairly rough grass area. Belly landing only.
I also plan to fly it at my local club which unfortunately has the same situation. Belly landing only. For me that is with my smaller planes.
They do fly big gas planes there and land with their large wheels, but one guy broke his forward landing gear when he hit a small pot hole in the field today.
Well, in that case then, perhaps that F-16 from Hobby People may give you want you want. It is pretty small but, at that price......[:@]

Just figure on ESC, External BEC (depending on Cell count), Receiver, etc...etc......and add it all up and then, look at the Habu PNP.

The Habu is made of EPP (Z-Foam as Horizon Calls it) and it is a little larger model and you can see it.

Carlos
Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM
ACES&8s

Receiver ready T-45 ( Trainer ) http://shop.chuckshobbies.com/product.sc?productId=136

T-38 Talon ( Trainer ) http://www.ductedfans.com/T_38_EDF_JET_foam_70mm.html

which is: T-38 single 65 mm EDF NASA paint - With Electronics (servos, motor 4300 kv, ESC 30 amp.
#fwingt3801A $185.99 Sale Price $115.99

Both Foamies.

Eflite's Hawk (T-45) Is more robust, yet heavier.

A foamie is good to start...an F-16 is not too difficult to handle.

I had a first EDF flight with my Saab Gripen...a canard/delta...I feel the easiest configuration to fly...but must be set up with a very good CG, and incidences.

I've flown an F-16 foamie from Hobbt-Lobby and that was decent to fly. My experience with the F-20 Tigershark from HET is a little scary...this is a very fast and squirrely plane.

Generally if the full-size is a trainer, like the Hawk and the Talon, you're golden, and small foamies are lighter, can slow down more, and you can build without undercarriage, and throw them for launch.

I'd shop around carefully, and don't get discouraged...I think the Habu is fast, but slows down...I've seen it...haven't flown it. It seems like a squirrely hot-rod plane.

EJF dot com has it's own trainer 70mm, but it's not a grass strip plane
Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 PM
gary41

Was Carter's EF16 completely stock fan and motor?.....I agree it may be a bit too quick for a first time EDF! My first EDF was the Multiplex Twister, it was not quite that fast, but a good flyer. I know that sme folks fly the Phase 3 with a 70mm and 4 cells....blistering speed (too fast for me!)
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Wheelnut

Man![:@] I really hate to hear about the Snyapse, I thought it might make a good beginner with that fairly large wing load area compared to the rest of the plane, but if it crushes easy, then I wont get it.

I really wanted something not as large as the Habu to start with. I don't plan on flying it that far away that I cant' see it anyway.

What ever I get, I plan on using cheap electronics anyway from either hobbycity or hobbypartz.
Don't try to bash the cheap electronics. I have cheap stuff in 90% of my planes and they all hold up GREAT!!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:52 PM
guapoman2000

Man![:@] I really hate to hear about the Snyapse, I thought it might make a good beginner with that fairly large wing load area compared to the rest of the plane, but if it crushes easy, then I wont get it.

I really wanted something not as large as the Habu to start with. I don't plan on flying it that far away that I cant' see it anyway.

What ever I get, I plan on using cheap electronics anyway from either hobbycity or hobbypartz.
Don't try to bash the cheap electronics. I have cheap stuff in 90% of my planes and they all hold up GREAT!!
That's great that you have had great success on Cheap Electronics and directly from China, no worries or trying to bash.

Just suggesting to do a comparitive comparison on cost from a very reliable USA distributor (Horizon Hobby) that will keep you satisfied and aware the cost of the model is much higher but, the support "is" there for you.

Carlos
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Wheelnut

Well, still totaly undecided.
I will have to keep looking and talking to people.
A guy at our local club had an F-3 or F-6 I can't remeber. But he suggested it, since it could fly slow or fast. And by slow I mean 30mph.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:08 PM
guapoman2000

Well, still totaly undecided.
I will have to keep looking and talking to people.
A guy at our local club had an F-3 or F-6 I can't remeber. But he suggested it, since it could fly slow or fast. And by slow I mean 30mph.

30 MPH???

My GWS Pico Tiger Moth flys faster than that

Are you sure you are asking for an EDF Model????

All joking aside, you can see that I really enjoy flying my StarMax F5E Swiss Tiger 70mm EDF Jet as it is (in my opinion) a true Park Flyer EDF Jet, however, it is made of Injected foam and comes with Retracts.

http://www.vimeo.com/3033486

Oh, you were saying about those carefree Electronics directly from China?

I have since replaced all servos and Power Controlling electronics for my "new" Airframe on the Starmax F5E Swiss Tiger 70mm EDF Tiger Jet.

Just take a look at this video as the results happened for trusting China installed Electronics!
http://www.vimeo.com/3043012

Carlos
Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 PM
guapoman2000

Okay, my vote would be the StarMax F5-E 70mm EDF Jet:

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks, nice pics.

What about a Multiplex FunJet

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNXV5&P=FR

or a Multiplex FunJET Ultra

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZWK8&P=0
Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
guapoman2000

FunJet is great little model with the potential of Great Speeds at a very inexpensive price.

The trouble with this model is most FunJets that really haul the mail is propeller pusher driven and not EDF.

I am not saying that an EDF will not provide good airspeeds but, I have yet to see a EDF beat a small spinning APC "Glow" 6 X 4 Propeller's speed using 4-Cells with an Inrunner Brushless Motor attached to the back.

I am sure the EDF will be good to try, just that in my opinion will be rather heavy "or" if you stick to the smallest EDF units then, you may not get enough Oppp (Power) to propel the model to your satisfaction later as you get experienced with it.

Carlos[8D]
Old 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Aircraftfreak15

iam also thinking of jets now too ive seen a few on hobby king that look good in some ogf the vids ive seen and there plug and play jets.

Iam asuming that if you can fly any ''fast" plane you should be able to fly a edf????
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Wheelnut

I'm not worried about how fast my first jet will go, other than I want it to be able to fly somewhat slow and stable so I can slowly speed it up and get used to it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM
gary41

Again, based on the needs you state and your flying locations, the Multiplex Twister would be a wise choice. It's foam is quite tough (you can use CA) and holds up quite well.
It is engineered very well and quite stable at landings and at full speed. Speed demon, NO....but it can move at a pretty good clip, and looks really nice in flight. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...roductid=81360

You could use SOME China electronics from HobbyKing......I've had good luck with their HXT 9gram servos, Turnigy ESC's and Turnigy LiPo Batteries. They now have a USA warehouse. Just put "usa warehouse" in their website homepage search box to find out what they currently have..they are adding to it daily. (NO, I have no afillation with them..just bought a lot of stuff from them.) You can get some pretty good China electronics.....But it is rare to find the "good stuff" in those Almost Ready to Fly foamies.

Gary
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
guapoman2000

Got to agree with Gary!

Multiplex Twister is a really nice flying model and it is belly lander that lands at a very slow and gentle rate plus it will meet your requirements of going slow at first.

Oh, and it comes with "Quality" components!!!

Carlos
Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 AM
phillipmorris

Actually the Synapse is a super ship, one of our flyers had terrific luck with his, hand launch can be trying but his goes out straight and level, one of his better ducted ships.

But my favorite currently is the the pusher prop Stryker C, is also a B model even more docile, they float in for landings on the grass even deadstick and launch quite easily, rather durable wing and size for nice flying.

Video of Stryker launch, beware of the rear prop, best to release then turn on the power, or at least have a padded jacket the rear prop has stung those not following thru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSrizT3_ps

Note it will fly quite well just over half throttle as can be zippy, but a blast to fly, love mine !

Also video of my Strker Deadstick landing, Floats !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVpgU2sSyzQ

Notes on hand launching the Stryker, you have option of some up elevator trim, or my favored slightest held up elevator on release, I use 80 percent throttle on the C, you'll need 100 percent on the B model, it will then go out level and true, the sizeable wings on this puppie give favorable flights, infact to fly my Stryker in just a minute waiting for some early morning light, wonderful ship !
Old 12-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Wheelnut

I know it's been a while, but I like to report what happened.

I bought the Skyfun Jet from Hobbycity and it is a great plane. I The maiden was successful, even though I did slightly cut my fingers on the hand launch, the prop got me. I will do a wing tip toss launch the next time. It was a nice flyer but not as fast as I wanted, so I'm in the middle of a motor upgrade which is a motor from Hobbycity and is recommended in their forums by other guys that have this plane also.

Here is the maiden vid. enjoy.

http://www.vimeo.com/17104510
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12465.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	1538474