Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

F/A 18 70mm

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F/A 18 70mm

i just get a F18 with a 45A ESC, 70MMfan KV2750 , 4S 14.8v,2650mAh/20C Li-Po, extra4S 14.8V,2200mAh/20C Li-Po.and before i launch i like to know what is the avarege flight time for those batterys... and if there any kind of tool that help me to find out flight time, charge and tempeture....
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F/A 18 70mm

You already have the flight tool you will need.. that's you and the plane. No one can predict your flight duration because no one knows how you fly.

For instance, if you have good throttle management, then your flight duration will be "max". If you fly using the throttle as an on-off switch, then your flight time will be considerably less. This is the same for electric as it is for glow, but for electric it is more critical becasue as you draw down on the battery, you will notice that the plane seems to have less power.. especially when you get close to the end of the charge.

Other than that, there is a lot to figure: weight of the plane will correlate to the wattage necessary to fly at with a certain flight style.. agressive or sedate. The more agressive you are, the more battery power you will use up, and it will directly relate to the weight of the aircraft.

This sounds like a ducted fan.

The best place for a question like this is in the Electric Forum. I will move it on over there if you wish.

CGr.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
[email protected]

what about the biping sound when I plug the battery on the airplane
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
opjose

Given the specs it sounds like an Exceed or other brand which Bananna or Nitroplanes carry.

I can tell you from experience that on a 70mm EDF with that size of a pack you'll get about 2 minutes at max throttle on the 2200mAh packs.

With throttle management you may get about 4-5, but it will seem to you that once you have the plane in the air, you may one circuit or two and have to land again.

I'd move up to say a 3200-3600mAh pack for more time and speed.

The larger pack will drop voltage more slowly so you'll see more power from the plane, but part of that will be ofset by the added weight.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
[email protected]

Thank You, CGRetired and opjose but............How do i find out the battery is running out of charge..... and not the bad way (chrashed)
Old 02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
mobaddawg

If you listen closely you can hear the motor not running as fast and the performance will go down but it will be to late if you miss that. Another way to do this is to run it full throttle in doors and see how long it will last. (time it with a stopwatch). And set the time on the stopwatch when you go out to fly! Hope this helps!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
[email protected]

Thank you, Mobaddawg.... wao, never thought that.... soo, should be same results when i get it outside ?. what about something else to upgrade my flight time... beside a battery guys. and what is BAC ?.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
[email protected]

Thanks Buddy....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
wallace.tharp

SAINTPRWARRIOR, Hi neighbor, I'm in Buckeye, AZ. I fly a Hobby Lobby SU-34 fullback with a real similar set up to what you have. It's 4s and 3,000ma. I set my timer for 4 minutes and plan to be down in 4.5. A good way to check on duration without getting airborn is to use a Watt's-Up plugged in on the ground between your battery and the speed contoller. Use a test stand ground restraint or just have someone hold your jet and simulate how much power you think you would be using. Time it and be on the conservative side. Remember if its a jet and you are normanl go fast will be really tempting so use some pretty high power settings. The watts up shows the actual power draw, and state of the battery in ma. I have read that it may pay to discharge your battery after full charge 3 or 4 times before actually flying on it. DO follow battery manufactures instructions. When I first started flying electric a friend said he always pulled the nose of the airplane up to a known angle performance wise and observed the climb rate. In the cse of my first electric, a T-Craft, when it would no longer go sustained verticle it ws time to land. Enjoy...wally tharp
Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM
[email protected]

Good to Go Neighbo, thank you...