Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Where to buy ducted fans

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Where to buy ducted fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Where to buy ducted fans

Hey Charles, I like that Spanish jet too. Can I get a spot in the Aviojet club?
War,

Spain actually built that jet, in the late 70's. Hard to believe it's still being produced and is used by some countries.

I'm sure the avionics have been upgraded. Ya think?

Gee, I don't know about that membership, unlike other Brotherhood Clubs, there's strict rules and requirements.

Maybe one day someone will get to it.

Welcome to the C-101 Aviojet Brotherhood. Would you like to be member #1.5 or #2?

You are the only person that has this opton in choice.

Charles,

C-101 Aviojet Brotherhood, #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58202.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1636695  
Old 07-17-2011, 11:17 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL number 2 is fine.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 AM
Avaiojet

BROTHERHOOD ANNOUNCEMENT!!

War,

Welcome!

C-101 Aviojet Brotherhood, #2

Charles,

CORSAIR Brotherhood, #72
WACO Brotherhood, #116

Name:	Jh16372.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1636864  
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
harralk
My Feedback: (22)

Say Charles,

Any chance of you making a copy of your C-101 plans?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Avaiojet

Any chance of you making a copy of your C-101 plans?
Harralk,

Keep in mind, the original plans, "builders plans," were tailored for a prop driven model, over 25 years ago.

A heavy Rossi 61 FIRE RE, with an internal pipe.

For this to be successful, I had to move the wing forward a bit and increase all the lifting areas.

Now that I'm going EDF, many changes are being made; now I can make use of scale outlines. If you have seen any of the Threads about this C-101, you will know this. I have attempted to create interest in this project before. No major interest.

Be patient, I progress slowly, but I will advise of all the changes as I make them. Possibly a C-101 scratch build Thread.

I also expect some interest, you for starters :-), and I really expect input, information and advice.

Be nice if this C-101 thing catches on, It's been my favorite Jet since the early 80's, obviously.

I do better when I'm pushed a bit by others with the same interest, because at my age, doing it just for myself, doesn't work as well any more.

Did you say you wanted to be C-101 Aviojet Brother, #3 ?

Charles,

CORSAIR Brotherhood, #72
WACO Brotherhood, #116
Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
harralk

I'd be honored to be #3. Although don't be offended if I build mine out of composites instead of balsa. What size EDF/s are you planning on using?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Avaiojet

BROTHERHOOD ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Welcome!

Harralk

C-101 Aviojet Brotherhood, #3

I'd be honored to be #3. Although don't be offended if I build mine out of composites instead of balsa. What size EDF/s are you planning on using?
OK, Why would I be offended if you built a composite? You don't think I'd rather have a composite C-101, than this balsa build-up I started 100 years ago?

Build your composite and put two aside for me also. I can see that happening!

Thanks for joining, you can download the 32 sheets of rules and regulations in that PDF file.

One quick note. Like all other Brotherhoods, the only requirement is you sign like this:

"C-101 Aviojet Brotherhood, #"

Not much to ask.

Charles,

C-101 Avaiojet Brotherhood, #1
Corsair Brotherhood, #72
WACO Brotherhood, #116
Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 PM
harralk

My fan and motor showed up today. Had to throw it on the test rig cause I just couldn't wait. I need a new scale on my rig 'cause this one don't go high enough. However, I had the scale maxed out (7.5lbs) at roughly 80% throttle on a 6S battery, which tells me this fan will have more than enough power for what I need especially after I get a 10S battery and larger ESC. Oh, how I do love power

So far I have to say, I'm impressed with this $30 unit. Quality is obviously not top-notch, but for what Ipaid I can ruin several before I need toget upset.

The attached image shows the relative size difference between the new fan and the old 90mm, and then the BF motor. I just can't stop giggling when I look at this motor....it reminds me of industrial power equipment.

Looks like I may finally be able to progress with my project.

[img]C:\Users\Keith\Documents\Class Folders\Fall 2011\ECE 495 LARVA UAV\Pics\Final\img_0523[/img]
[img]C:\Users\Keith\Documents\Class Folders\Fall 2011\ECE 495 LARVA UAV\Pics\Final\img_0527[/img]

Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Avaiojet

Great photos!

I can't see them?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:34 PM
AmishWarlord

harralk lets see those photos of your test stand!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM
harralk

I guess I don't know how to post a picture on here after all.  You can see the pics in my profile gallery.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 AM
harralk

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

Build your composite and put two aside for me also. I can see that happening!
Alright, I'll build the airframe if you put on the graphics.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Avaiojet

Hey!

Keith,

You're suppose to sign your name:

Rember? That's one of the disadvantges of being a Member. There are no advantages.

How long you been flying EDF? Do you know anything?

Charles

Edited, OOPS! #3

Name:	Om32845.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1637555  
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
harralk

Check my signature at the bottom. It's correct.

FLYING EDF?? Umm...if I ever get around to getting an edf powered plane I might have the chance to try it. Such is the reason why I wanted to know where to buy EDF's. So far I've only ever run one on a test stand.

hey Charles, clarify something for me. Is it spelled Aviojet, or Avaiojet?

Keith

C-101 Aviojet? Brotherhood, #3 - there, happy?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Avaiojet

The correct spelling for this Jet is:

Aviojet.

I have Avaiojet, because a modeler from Spain has Aviojet.

Doesn't matter, there's no spelling tests.

Besides there's no interest in this Jet, my project, and what I'm doing with it.

Like what? Three guys. And one has never built an EDF Jet. Hey! I haven't either. Maybe C-101 Aviojet Brother, #2, has.

Will see?

Sooooooooooo, you never built an EDF? Interesting.

Move your name to the bottom of my "help list."

Charles,

Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 PM
harralk

Looks like I can upload a pic after all. I got so excited I did it twice just to make sure. Here's my edf test rig. Home made, nothing special but it gets the job done.

Keith

Name:	Vt56570.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	1637718  
Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 PM
AmishWarlord

Nope Brother #2 has no EDF experience either but will soon have some. I decided that I better test out the outrunner and inrunner motors and see which one works for me so I'll use my two fans in two jets. I'll design a Aviojet around one of the 127mm fans I have.

Now that, is a fa rout test rig man! Here is a guy telling me to keep my fish scale inline with the thrust instead of having it mounted vertical with a cable and pulley running to the EDF sled. Then you go and have a giant L bracket pushing down on a postal scale!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10628129

Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Avaiojet

Nope Brother #2 has no EDF experience either but will soon have some.
Well, there's a price to pay for that #2, now you also can go to the bottom of my "get help" list.

Just kidding #2!

Hey! There's nothing wrong with inexperience.

In fact, inexperience is great! Inexperience creates interest and curiosity. The opposite of being "jaded." We'll learn together and share information. "Never too big for your britches."

Takes an exceptional individual, to give up earned information, gathered over a period of time. It also takes an exceptional individual to have a "real" interest in others AND what others are interested in!

HEY! #2 and #3,

You like apples? Take a look at these apples!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:09 AM
harralk

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Now that, is a fa rout test rig man! Here is a guy telling me to keep my fish scale inline with the thrust instead of having it mounted vertical with a cable and pulley running to the EDF sled. Then you go and have a giant L bracket pushing down on a postal scale!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10628129

My first test rig attempt was a a string and afish scale. The number of forces that come in to play when you set it up like that makes things too complicated to get an "accurate" measurement (I use quotations here because I believe that method is less accruate than whatI've done here). I was also concerned with my fan coming loose and running amock. It took me about $50 and the better part of a long weekend to build this one. The other advantage to the L-bracket type of rig I think is that it better restrains the torque -I can use this for props as well if I need to. Like I said, it's far from perfect but at least the fan is better contained this way. If I need a better setup I think I'll take advantage of my access to a machine shop and build a suspended aluminum sled type rig, the L-bracket type can seem a little flimsy at times. But that's for another day.

If you want to build your own the two things to keep in mind are: 1.) Keep the direction of the fan parallel to the line created by the lower lever arm.They must be parallel on thevertical plane and the horizontal plane. 2.) carefully measure the lengths of the levers (the upper arm measured to theCENTER of the edf unit, the lower measured to the point of contact with the scale) and use the ratios of the two lengths to determine the actual force from the fan. My rig is measured at 1:1.25 for this fan, 1:1.5 for the smaller fan.

At least those are the rules I gathered from my statics class last semester. Other people have a lot more experience with this sort of thing than I do.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Avaiojet

At least those are the rules I gathered from my statics class last semester. Other people have a lot more experience with this sort of thing than I do.
Gee, They may have more experience, but do they know as much?

Charles,

C-101 Aviojet Brotherhood #1
Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM
harralk

Just ran the fan on the test stand again to test out my new digital scale.  FYI for anyone who may be buying the 127mm EDF unit from hobbyking.com, make sure you use Loctite on all the screws (especially the ones holding on the fan).  Maybe that's common knowledge to everyone else, but I'm just learning about all this.  Nearly had a really bad accident tonight. 

Keith

(P.S., I'm still waiting on those plans, Charles )
Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Extreme_RC

I would be careful of those large Haoye fans, incident reported on rcgroups a while ago had one explode, blade went through the guys safety glasses and slice his eye apart. He is recovering slowly and is very lucky to still have the eye.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: Extreme_RC

I would be careful of those large Haoye fans, incident reported on rcgroups a while ago had one explode, blade went through the guys safety glasses and slice his eye apart. He is recovering slowly and is very lucky to still have the eye.
Ouch! should have used a $100,000 containment room with blast walls and closed circuit video systems.

Good reminder to stay out of the ark of props,rotors,turbines,fans. Even with safety glasses.

Guy was lucky he was messing with EDFs instead of 600mm carbon fiber bladed Helies. He'd be dead now instead of missing an eye.

I hate adjusting the blade tracking on RC helicopters for this reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_pPl47QJg

Go to 8:00 mins into the video

Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM
harralk

Actually that gives me an idea to build a blast shield around my test stand.  I should be able to get my hands on a sheet of 1/2" polycarbonate fairly easy.

I suppose a little healthy respect for the equipment never hurt anyone.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
harralk

After nearly a month of waitingfor back-orders I have the battery and ESC from hobbyking. 10S 5000mAh Turnigy nano-techbattery and 100A high frequency Turnigy ESC. I'll have pictures soon, but like the motor every time I look at this battery I just start giggling. I need a new charger for this thing since my old one won't charge above 4S. Once I havea charger I'll be able to FINALLY give this fan a thorough workout.

Also, I did purchase a digital scale to replace the mechanical one because the vibration of the test rig under loadcaused the needle to jump all over the place.

More to come, stay tuned...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.