Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

When will EDF jets surpass wet turbine Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

When will EDF jets surpass wet turbine Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Valve floater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will EDF jets surpass wet turbine Jets?

Will EDF Jets ever get more popular that kerosene type turbines one day in speed,cost and ease of use?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
ACES&8s

Default RE: When will EDF jets surpass wet turbine Jets?

It all depends on how you look at it. If you put alot of effort into a turbine aircraft, which you must; EDF's are easier, quite a bit fast, and cost alot less.
EDF's require much effort to build right and fly right...I've never attempted a turbine. EDF's are safer. Turbine RPV's are really for the military. Alot of speed puts the model too far away too fast. Thrust from EDF's is respectable. Especially from 90mm fans, but 70mm set up properly have good thrust to weight ratio coming from the power system. The drawback to EDF's is that they chew up alot of juice. Batteries have come a long way, and that helps. A really well balanced fan, and balanced motor, on alloy or C/F ductwork surpasses the mark. Try one...
Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

It depends on how many people are already addicted to kero smell
Old 09-02-2011, 03:40 AM
rcmiket

This is almost like will electric power overtake glow argument that has gone on so awhile. Well from what I've seen it's very close. LiPo's have changed the face of our sport in just a few years and they continue to drop in price and quality gets better everyday. Who knows whats on the horizon for us next.
Mike
Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Valve floater

thanks, just bought the Habu. Foam one. My first jet. I have heard it is a good one to start with. i have not flown it yet.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: Valve floater

Will EDF Jets ever get more popular that kerosene type turbines one day in speed,cost and ease of use?
They all ready are on two of your criteria. Easy of use and cost are both less.
Speed not so sure yet.

Turbines will never go away though. They have the cool factor and if you can afford one why would you not have one.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:37 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

i did the whole fuel thing for years. i went all electrics about 7 years ago and havent looked back. all my edf's and birds are now electric and its awesome, clean, no mess, no stink, plug and play, no flame outs, less maitenance, less money, ect..ect ....

electrics are advancing every year and will utlimately surpass kero just as they did glow.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:06 PM
ACES&8s

Very good I have seen the 70mm Habu foamie run, it's a respectable entry into EDF's. Take my advice, use a 40C battery or better, and as much capacity as the airframe will hold. Why? MAX speed.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Valve floater

I will be using value hobby batteries. Got 3.
3300,40c, 14.8, 4 cell. Taxied it so far. It shows to have plenty power. From what i know.I`m a prop guy.
I plan to take the landing gear off after several flights to get it more streamlined.
I have read that EDF`s are not really efficient compared to a prop.But i can`t wait to find out myself.The weather in Louisiana has turned bad this weekend.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think the turbines will go away altogether but I do think the EDF's will be the plane of choice, primarily because of the fewer and fewer flying sites that allow turbines. My club's field does not allow turbines as their use results in too much burned grass (no paved runway).

For those who have a lot of disposable income and are willing to part with it, BVM and TAMJETS are two of numerous vendors that sell high end EDF's. Their products are capable of 150+ mph, have good flight duration, excellent flight characteristics and are beautifully scaled as well.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 AM
MrPheer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Valve floater

I will be using value hobby batteries. Got 3.
3300,40c, 14.8, 4 cell. Taxied it so far. It shows to have plenty power. From what i know.I`m a prop guy.
I plan to take the landing gear off after several flights to get it more streamlined.
I have read that EDF`s are not really efficient compared to a prop.But i can`t wait to find out myself.The weather in Louisiana has turned bad this weekend.

Just remember to fly it like a jet. It wont have much control authority at low speed and you really shouldnt yank & bank it like a prop plane.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Valve floater

I learned that yesterday. I was up high and let it stall out, pointing straight up, then it went into an inverted flat spin. I could not pull it back out. Spiraled down. Luckly it broke the nose only, and it looked like a concorde jet. I reglued it with some foam safe glue. Went right back to flying. My first jet lesson. It`s not a 3d plane. LOL
I raced against the Habu 32, and to my surprise it was not much faster that my (grey foam) Habu. I actually pulled away from him a couple times on staightout runs.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think EDF's will ever surpass the turbines, but they are certainly getting more popular. I have turbines and EDF's and have noticed that more and more EDF's are showing up at the meets/rallys.

I have a foam Habu and the Habu 32. I think they are both fantastic flyers and a real lot of fun. I (personally) think the foam Habu is probably one of the best planes you can get for the money.

What I think (and hope) is going to happen ..... is that the Habu 32 is going to open up the door for more and more of that type/size of EDF. I think we will see more EDF's like these and more manufacturers will start to see the popularity of them and want to get part of the action.

Bob

Old 09-18-2011, 06:21 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both power systems.

Imho,: The two really cannot compare as to what they are, only in what they do. They both fly a plane, but the mini turbine is an engineering marvel next to an edf fan in any configuration.

Cost: Kingtech 80 around $1700 unless on sale. Some fans cost that much. Why??

Steve
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Can't prove it, but I'll bet there are 100 EDFs for every ONE turbine. Of course a little Phase 3 F-16 compared to a Violett F-16 turbine is truly an apple to an orange. A tiny apple to a big cool orange.