Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Velocity inrunner efficiency?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Velocity inrunner efficiency?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
ACES&8s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity inrunner efficiency?

How do the Velocity inrunners compare? I wish to find the best motor, for 1400 watts on 70mm 10 blade fan, like the Cool42, but I'm inquiring about how the electrical efficiencies are. Do the inrunners compare to outrunners for 85% or better watt in watt out?
If someone could clarify...the Cool42 is a hot motor, for 90 bucks....as are the neu and arc motors...but which uses juice more effectively?

I'm aiming for fast and long run time...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Hokie Flyer

Default RE: Velocity inrunner efficiency?

Extreme RC posted a very good article here testing inrunners versus outrunners.  The test motors were ARC, Medusa, Hoffman Magnetics Beast, and Jet Screamer.  The inrunners delivered significantly more thrust per amp consumed and the ARC was slightly more efficient than the Medusa.  I was quite disappointed with what I saw on the Jet Screamer and the Hoffman Magnetics motors, especially given all the hype on some of the forums. 

If I find the thread again, I'll post the link.

Rob
Old 09-19-2012, 04:50 PM
ACES&8s

T/Y Rob...I have read the specs from the Extreme guys in Australia...good news is inrunners have more thrust per watt...cooling is an issue and the arc motors are way too expensive to buy...if I were a pro I'd use one, but I don't get this stuff for free.

I saw the Velocity Cool 42 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velocity-RC-...item1c1dff5fb4

for 89.99 and 9.50 shipping...was wondering about the electrical comparison, but I may be overthinking this...the Velocity is going into this fan....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Fan_Unit.html
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Hokie Flyer

I'd go ahead and give the Velocity motor a try.  The specs look good and as I recall, there are some videos on YouTube showing Velocity aircraft flying with the Velocity motors and the performance looks good.

Rob
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
rfodor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ACES&8s

T/Y Rob...I have read the specs from the Extreme guys in Australia...good news is inrunners have more thrust per watt...cooling is an issue and the arc motors are way too expensive to buy...if I were a pro I'd use one, but I don't get this stuff for free.

I saw the Velocity Cool 42 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velocity-RC-...item1c1dff5fb4

for 89.99 and 9.50 shipping...was wondering about the electrical comparison, but I may be overthinking this...the Velocity is going into this fan....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Fan_Unit.html
I wouldn't advise using a 4200KV motor with a Change Sun 10 blade from anyone. It will draw about 180 amps on 4S. I have a Neu 1112/1Y 3500KV 4S in a CS10 and it uses 139 amps on takeoff with a fresh battery. I fly mostly at 1/2 throttle. The Cool42 might work with 3S but it isn't really a good choice. An ARC 28-58-1 on 4S would be a better choice for high RPM use.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM
ACES&8s

I feel like saying....well the datalogger on the esc says 86 amps at 74% throttle. 36,000 rpm. The fan is rated for 45,000 which is what the inrunner is going to push. Remember 4200 kv is NO LOAD.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Extreme_RC

A long can 2600-2700 pulls a good 60-65 amps on 4s with the CS10 rotor, and 4200Kv would be waaaay too high for 4s as has been said.
If you want something hotter than 900w then I would look at the HET 1W40, 3300Kv, cheaper than the velocity and imho a much tougher motor.
If you can go to 6s then you have much more choice, HET 2W30 or Eflite BL32 are excellent 1400-1600w setups with the CS10 rotor.

Also the CS ratings for RPM are unproven so be wary when running it over 34k.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

mega and neu motors will have the best efficiency numbers. 3600-3800kv on a wemo, 4s, works great! CS fan is a piece of junk.

ARC's are amp hogs and run hot. stay away from outrunners.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:37 PM
ACES&8s

Some of the responses, are biased. Not obvious. rfodor...the CS 10 blade runs well on the 42 with 4 cell. A wemotec mini uses 1200 watts from this combo, the CS 1800. Thrust from the wemo is 3.8 pounds. Thrust from the CS is 5.1 pounds.

The CS multiblade fans are designed for more power. Need more. Get more. Hard to balance.

Extreme...Alot of the response is due to the way you want to sell what you stock, and since you don't stock Velocity inrunners, you bad-mouth them, in fact anything outside of your sales envelope gets a biased review. I'd check that.

Check yourself, because a forum is an exchange of ideas and information. Not a sales pitch
Old 01-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Extreme_RC

ORIGINAL: ACES&8s
Some of the responses, are biased. Not obvious. rfodor...the CS 10 blade runs well on the 42 with 4 cell. A wemotec mini uses 1200 watts from this combo, the CS 1800. Thrust from the wemo is 3.8 pounds. Thrust from the CS is 5.1 pounds.
The CS multiblade fans are designed for more power. Need more. Get more. Hard to balance.
Extreme...Alot of the response is due to the way you want to sell what you stock, and since you don't stock Velocity inrunners, you bad-mouth them, in fact anything outside of your sales envelope gets a biased review. I'd check that. Check yourself, because a forum is an exchange of ideas and information. Not a sales pitch
Will answer your post from bottom up...

Sorry? Where did I bad mouth velocity? If I thought they were worth selling I would sell them. I used to stock ARC but had too many issues with them and returns cost me a fortune in shipping, so I asked HET to make motors that fitted the categories we all needed at the time, the 1W30 was revised and the 1W40 was born and its about the best of the long can motors in the 3200-3300Kv range.

I have seen velocity results and compared them directly to ARC results, gotta be 2+ years ago now, velocity 3200 pulled 108 amps in the Minifan to produce 2.5kg thrust, the ARC 2858-1 pulled87 amps to produce the same thrust. You work out the maths on that and tell me which motor you would run, nothing to do with bias, simply best performance for the watts.

Now the 1W40 has surpassed the ARC, 93.6 amps for 2.7kg sustained thrust, data that has been emulated by many others around the world, its simply known facts, nothing to do with bad mouthing anything, if you think I am bad mouthing a product then you are not reading the posts very carefully, I am and have always been impartial, I dont make the stuff sohow canI havebias towards one product?? I have been offered supply of 99% of the edf products on the market if I wanted them, I take on what I believe to offer the best value in $$$ and watts/thrust and if there are big discrepancies in the perfomance of 2 products I will list them, tell me how that is not helping the readers? Of course if you are a fanboy of a particular seller (not saying you are), then you have more of an agenda in accusing me of bias.

Ok CS10, you are using 1800w to get 2.3kg thrust on 4s, the HET 2W30 uses 1600w to produce the same thrust on 6s, and I think the Eflite is close to this too.
How many amps are you pulling on 4s?? 1800w/14.5v for example is 124A! So you need a big ESC, and lots of battery to get any sort of run time. The 2W30 is pulling 75A, runs on a regular HW80A esc, and can run comfortably with 3200mah packs.

The Wemotec fan cannot be compared to the CS10, the load is different. You would not run the cool 4200 on4s with the wemo if you wanted a comparable setup, you would have to run it on 5s at least, and to get higher thrust you would run the 3200Kvon 6s, forthisthe figures are as I stated above, 108 odd amps for 2.5kg thrust.

The CS10 are not designed for more power, its simply a chinese fan that sounds good and thats why everyone is jumping on it. I use it in 2 models, both set up around 800-900 watts on 4 cells, when set up with a properly matched motor the CS10 will match the wemo fairly closely, my F16 is flying just as well with the 880W CS10 as it was with the 800W Wemo setup.

Oh and I dont sell Eflite anything, but I still recommend the BL32 motor when someone outside OZ asks me is it any good in the CS10 fan, you know why??? Because it IS a good motor in the fan....

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 PM
ACES&8s

Maybe my batteries and meters are reading me wrong...my Wemo Minifan with a 4100kv does 4 cell duty fine.

Maybe the cell counts vs. Kv's between us are getting mucked up. I'm clearing out my data and testing. Gonna do extensive tests with all GOOD battery and meter.

I'm gonna try to discover where the discrepancies are...
Old 01-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Extreme_RC

Often its worth reading posts a few times so you dont miss things, and sometimes we make typos, I have edited the paragraph about wemo/CS fans as it was less than clear in what I was trying to say!

I dont think anyone was talking about the wemotec fan when it comes to how much Kv, 4100Kv is fine in the wemo, I run the 1W30 in the wemo on 4s and used to run the 2848-1 on 4s, its a 1400w odd setup that puts out 2kg+ of thrust. What was said was 4100 was too high for the CS fan, reason is because it presents a huge load to the motor compared to the wemotec rotor. You have to use a lower Kv long can motor in order to maintain efficiency turning that highly loaded rotor.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM
ACES&8s

Chris...I've been using what I can afford...alot of OLD batteries. The testing point. I judged the CS fan wrong because I was running weak battery.

The CS is rated to ply 1800 watts. I ran it up to 1872 with a 2500kv outrunner, on 6 cell only 80% throttle...on a GOOD battery...

What you're outlining about the power comsumption is absolutely right. I'm driven to find the right long can for the CS. The Cool29 on 5 cell is rated for 100 amps, 1800 watts, and probably the only motor for 100 dollars that will actually work without burnout.

Now I'm gotten my nephew to look at the drawing for a shaft adapter. I'm working on an idea for an adapter with low runout, a designed in trueness, which I believe comes from machining the part from one machines mounting. Starts with a bore through, minor diameter of the 3mm threaded end. The entire part is turned true to the first bore, on a toolmakers arbor. Scott does not have CNC, but if I can properly design the part, and outline the process....

He's only just replied last night, and he said, don't they already make them? I've got to reply with.."Yes, but they don't run true enough."

He may take the challenge, at least I hope. My father's equipment is now in Scotts shop, some of it. I have no place for machines, I rent, and I'd try to do it myself, but I'm unequiped. I'm gonna see if I can go visit Scott too.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Extreme_RC

Actually they do make them, well I do anyway LOL Take a look at this page, and then the link to all the parts below it:
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...th=146_266_319

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...&cPath=146_266

My adapters run pretty true I start with a german blank and then finish it to suit the CS10 and now CS12 rotors.