Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Modellblau F-86D Edf

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:54 AM
JoGiasson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modellblau F-86D Edf

Hi all,
Has anyone done a conversion of the Modellblau F-86 D to edf?
If so -what fan used,motor and battery set up?
And did intake ducting need to be used?

Thanks Joe
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Modellblau F-86D Edf

Hi Joe,

Do you have the kit? I have the kit and looked it over for EDF. The fuse is big, but the mounting brackets and wood work for the engine are less than desirable for EDF. I think a 120 sized fan would be the minimum and a lot of modification to the wood would be needed. Rail spacing is ~105-110mm and the forward wood former diameter the same. Exhaust ducting wouldn't be a problem, but intake ducting will be a challenge. I think an adaptor ring on the front of the fan would be the best solution. All the equipment would need to be secure so that it doesn't get sucked into the fan blades. Batteries will need to be secured ahead of the fan and they would block some of the airflow depending on where the CG ends up. Another thought is to mount the fan up closer to the intake mouth and make a short adaptor tube and then have a long exhaust tube. A whole new mount would need to be made for that to work. A smaller fan like the Stumax or Schubler would be easier, but I think the performance would suffer. I may do a slow build in 2013 on this kit and post progress here. How about you?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
JoGiasson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Airforce,
I have the option to buy a F-86-D. Just wanted to know if it possible to convert to edf. Also wanted to know which fan,battery and esc to use.
Probably will hold off on the build to see if someone else does it to help with the figuring out of the problems.

Joe
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Joe,

I saw one fly (maiden flight) on a P-60 about two months ago. There a several of these kits flying out here in CA all on turbine power. This jet does fly very well, but even as a turbine model there is quite a bit of work to do. If you can get one at a decent price like around $400 then go for it. You can decide later if you want to go electric or turbine.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe:

I think the driver for determining whether to convert it to EDF or not would be the intake area. Need to calculate the intake area and let that drive the fan you choose. Fan choice would be based on the swept area of the fan (FSA) versus the intake area. My experience has been that the intake area needs to be no less than about 95% of the FSA. If the intake area points you toward a 90 mm fan it might not be advisable. IF however, you have sufficient intake area to accommodate a 120 or 127mm fan then give it a shot.

Ed
Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jo & Airforce,
I am interested to find out if either one of you finished the F-86D as a EDF? I am currently building one with 12lb thrust turbine. I think I would like to have an EDF this size. My feeling is the fuselage is heavier (stronger) than it needs to be for EDF.