Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Novice EDF question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 AM
WVrailfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice EDF question

All other things being equal, what advantage is a higher blade count on an EDF?

I understand it provide a better sound, but does it provide more speed, or more low end thrust? Assuming the RPMs are constant and the power system can handle the additional load of the additional blades what is the advantage of a 10 or 12 blade fan over a 5 or 6 blade?

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 AM
airboss/oc

the high blade count fans do no more than make better sound and draw more amps. I have both types my Schubeler HDS makes lots of grunt for short take-off but also uses more amps. if you want speed stick to 5 blades or less.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Extreme_RC

Originally Posted by WVrailfan
All other things being equal, what advantage is a higher blade count on an EDF?
I understand it provide a better sound, but does it provide more speed, or more low end thrust? Assuming the RPMs are constant and the power system can handle the additional load of the additional blades what is the advantage of a 10 or 12 blade fan over a 5 or 6 blade?
Thanks
Jim
There is a lot to it these days, some multiblade designs are very good and power consumption is almost identical to most common traditional 4-6 blade rotors like HET & Wemo. A lot of the multiblades are simply poor designs, or poor knockoffs and they are the ones that give the whole genre a bad rep.

In 70mm the CS10 and CS12 rotors are actually very good, so close to a wemotec 5 blade in performance that you are not making huge sacrifices to get a real jet like sound. In 90mm one of the best, most affordable and easy to obtain is the Jetfan, extremely good performance in the air, and sound can be amazing in the right airframe. I have heard it sound noisy in some foamies, but have heard it sound like a turbine in many composites and full length fuse foamies. Changesuns 90mm 12 blade is a good performer with awesome sound, but not safe at high power, its a cheap knockoff of the stumax fan which is a top performer with the sound to match. The SM is also efficient when compared to the old industry standard wemotec Midi PRO 6 blader. The new schubelers look pretty but so far I haven't seen a video with sound to match the best currently out there, its also very expensive.