Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

GWS A-10 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:21 PM
RcnutNick
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS A-10 Questions

I know you guys out there know more about this than me. I am new to e-flight and have a GWS A-10 with a 7.2v 2000mah Lithium-Ion batt. My question is what is the best set up (ESC, servos, fans) Right now everything is stock. All of the postings I have read are kind of frustrating because I don't know the differance between all the stuff. Are the stock fans OK with a good ESC or will the fry? Any help would be worth a million!! Thanks for your time!
Nick
Old 10-02-2003, 08:02 AM
rdeis
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GWS A-10 Questions

I've been watching this for a while, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to motor loss in the EDF-50 fans (50mm ID, motor is less that 3/4" OD).

A lot of folks complain that they burn up immediately, others say they were fine for a while. Battery voltage used varied. I'm sure there's some reason other than quality variation but it's not apparent to me yet.

The only constant advice is thus:

1> Use a heat sink. If the fan didn't come with one, you can get one that will fit the EDF-50 motor from the LHS.

2> Oil the shaft periodicly. A bent syringe and one drop of 3-in-1 oil per battery cycle seems to be the most common suggestions.

3> Use throttle management. Don't stay at full throttle the whole flight, especially if you're using higher voltage.

4> Check your motor type. The EDF-50 comes with a couple of different motors. Check the fan designation that's marked n the box with the chart on the GWS website-- some EDF-50s are rated for more voltage than others.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:05 AM
RcnutNick
My Feedback: (3)

How about the ESC? Which one? The 300 or 400?
Old 10-03-2003, 06:43 PM
caseyjholmes

I just bought an A-10 a week ago, and I must say it looks and builds nicely for a foamie. after building it I found this forum and removed the landing gear and 3rd servo. I hope to get my radio and battery tonight for a test fly tomorrow or sunday if weather permits. The GWS glue in the kit wasn't too strong IMO, so I used 5 min. epoxy for most of the foam joinings. I've only flown sailplanes and helicopters up 'till now and I'm glad to hear that this is a rather slow plane => I tried a GP BLT before and smashed it to smitherines. I'll report my first a-10 flight this weekend =>
casey
Old 10-03-2003, 06:45 PM
caseyjholmes

heres a pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98838.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	65409