Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Het F 18 Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 05:03 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Het F 18 Need Advice

Hi. I just ordered a HET F-18 with a Mega 16-15-2 motor. What speed controller should I use? Where can I get one?I want the option of using Li poly batteries as well as NiMh. What do you recommend for battery packs? I saw the 3s2p 2200 mah pack mentioned. Who makes it and where do you get it? Can I get good performance from NiMh packs? The Li poly scare me a bit.

Thanks for the help......Woody
Old 07-19-2004, 08:35 PM
gjmjoe017
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Het F 18 Need Advice

Just got one myself with same motor.I am going with the E-tec 3s2p 2400 Mah 11.1 v Li-poly and a Castle Creations Phoneix 45 ESC.Go on Ezonemag.com and go to discussions and go down to jets.Go through the forums until you see F-18 arf and you can spend hours on the thread and get all the info. you need.Li-poly's are going to be lighter,and give you longer flight times.Make sure you get a charger that will charge a pack this size.Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:16 PM
CTulanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Major,

The Mega 2T is a great motor for the "Bug". I am like you and not kicked in the head yet with Lipos, although I own a couple. For the FA-18, I can get two FAUP packs for less than the cost of one Lipo setup. Run time is only 3-4 minutes, but after that you will want a break anyway. I use the 1950mah FAUP Nimh 10-cell packs and have them custom made at www.cheapbatterypacks.com . Use the "double stick" configuration as it fits great inside the battery compartment. Two rows of 5 cells is what it will contain. If you want less weight and a more scale type flight, then go with 8 cells, but the 10-cell setup turns the Mega 2T into a speed demon.

As far as controllers go, I have both the Kontronik Smile 40-6-12 from Markos at www.warbirds-rc.com , which has now been upgraded to the 45 amp version...a good solid choice. I also have a "Hacker Master 40-B Flight" I use with my Mega 2T on my F4D Skyray ARF , the newest model in the HET-RC lineup from Warbirds-RC. That controller can be purchased from either Hacker direct, or from www.espritmodel.com , who has a great price on it, cheaper than the Kontronik. If you look elsewhere, make sure you get the latest version, the "B" model ...you will see some older "P" model Hacker ESC's, but they cannot use the next toy you need to know about, the Hacker Programmer Box.

Thia box allows you to totally config the ESC for any situation. moreover, it allows advancement of motor timing in 1 degree increments, all the way to 30 degrees plus, where alone the ESC is like others and can be programmed for 3 different modes. You don't need the box to program the Hacker, but it's nice to know you can get the option if you want, so stick with the new B or O controllers. I went with the B because I wanted BEC to power my receiver.

I have not used Castle Creations Phoenix ESC's, although a friend of my has and they do not seem to hold up as well, although they are good. I hope this helps get you on the right track.

Cya,

Carl
Old 07-23-2004, 01:46 AM
andrewjet
My Feedback: (16)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Words of wisdom, spoken from one who has done his homework!!! Yes you are right about all and as far as cc controllers i have 6 and two died before i could get the plane out of the house. I'm not ragging on cc because i love the weight reduction but sometimes they just have to go back and by the way, they sent me replacements before i could finish explaining the problem. Thanks carl! I really appreciate someone who expresses comments with knowledge.
ORIGINAL: CTulanko

Major,

The Mega 2T is a great motor for the "Bug". I am like you and not kicked in the head yet with Lipos, although I own a couple. For the FA-18, I can get two FAUP packs for less than the cost of one Lipo setup. Run time is only 3-4 minutes, but after that you will want a break anyway. I use the 1950mah FAUP Nimh 10-cell packs and have them custom made at www.cheapbatterypacks.com . Use the "double stick" configuration as it fits great inside the battery compartment. Two rows of 5 cells is what it will contain. If you want less weight and a more scale type flight, then go with 8 cells, but the 10-cell setup turns the Mega 2T into a speed demon.

As far as controllers go, I have both the Kontronik Smile 40-6-12 from Markos at www.warbirds-rc.com , which has now been upgraded to the 45 amp version...a good solid choice. I also have a "Hacker Master 40-B Flight" I use with my Mega 2T on my F4D Skyray ARF , the newest model in the HET-RC lineup from Warbirds-RC. That controller can be purchased from either Hacker direct, or from www.espritmodel.com , who has a great price on it, cheaper than the Kontronik. If you look elsewhere, make sure you get the latest version, the "B" model ...you will see some older "P" model Hacker ESC's, but they cannot use the next toy you need to know about, the Hacker Programmer Box.

Thia box allows you to totally config the ESC for any situation. moreover, it allows advancement of motor timing in 1 degree increments, all the way to 30 degrees plus, where alone the ESC is like others and can be programmed for 3 different modes. You don't need the box to program the Hacker, but it's nice to know you can get the option if you want, so stick with the new B or O controllers. I went with the B because I wanted BEC to power my receiver.

I have not used Castle Creations Phoenix ESC's, although a friend of my has and they do not seem to hold up as well, although they are good. I hope this helps get you on the right track.

Cya,

Carl
Old 07-23-2004, 05:24 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the advice. For now I opted for the 10 cell FAUP'S with a Jeti Opto 40 amp ESC. Hope this was a good choice. The Jeti can handle Lipo's should I choose to go that route. Woody