Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Ultrafly F16

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:19 PM
RickAvery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultrafly F16

Eric,
Well, I don’t know what is available in the Netherlands, but here in the states we have several paints which work well on EPS foam. I would guess that Tamaya, (sp?) is available to you and they work well but are a bit expensive here at $5.00 - $6.00 for a small can. Tamaya also has a nice selection of colors. Krylon ‘Short Cuts’ is another spray can option at about half the price of Tamaya, and fewer colors available. There is also Krylon H2O, which is water based latex in a can. It’s about ¼ the price of the Tamaya, comes in a large can, but has even less colors than the Short Cuts. The biggest thing I have found that helps in the painting of EPS is prepping/sealing the surface. Filling voids & assembly/hanger rash with light weight spackle compound. Then sanding with #220 paper. Then brushing on water based polyurethane. Let dry, sand & repeat one or two more times. The WBPU seals the surface, fills in small voids and provides a nice smooth surface. The paint then covers nice and evenly. The H2O paint can be sprayed on or brushed on, (spray it into the lid, and then use a brush). You have to be careful about using that technique with other non-water based paints, as the carrier for the paint may eat the EPS when concentrated as when pooled in the bottom of the lid. Good luck, happy flying!
Rick
Old 05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
davidm
My Feedback: (18)

I tried to fly my F-16 with the recommend D/13/32 recomended by Tower. It also became a 20 foot yard dart. Fortunately the ground was soft and no damage. The motor WOT just seems to not have much thrust. I have a 25A cont. I do have the prop on corectly and the gear ratio is 22/66. I guess I have to spend 40 bucks and buy a amp meter.

DavidM
Old 05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
RickAvery

DavidM,
What is the Kv of the motor you are using, and what size prop and battery? I’ve seen at least one other post where their plane just wouldn’t fly and I just don’t see why??? In the last 2 years, I’ve tried to get away from gear boxes in most of my planes. My bro-in-law flew his SU-27 with a HiMaxx 2816-1220kv, direct drive outrunner with an 8X3.8 prop and it flew fine. I’m sure it would have flown the F-16. He has since gone to a Warp-4 5 turn inrunner direct drive with a 7X5 prop and it flies fine with that. I’m currently using a mega 15-15-4 direct drive inrunner with a 6X4 prop. She flies out of my hand, one of the easiest planes I have to launch.
Rick
Old 05-09-2006, 09:52 AM
davidm

The motor is 3200KV, I am using a 3 cell LiPo 1650 ma, 25a controller 7/5 e prop,gear drive. I have 6/4 prop I tried on static but did not change much.
One thing with the F-16 is the wires are rather long going to the motor under the fuselage. Wondering if that could take away some juice. I would like to get away from the gears drives also, wonder if this motor would work as a direct drive.
RPM 40,000
Max input power 160W

DavidM
Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
RickAvery

DavidM,
Well, I’d have thought that the system you describe would fly without a problem. You mentioned the pinion and spur gear count but do you know what the ratio is? If you’re running a 6:1 ratio, then you’re only getting ~6500rpm. That’s probably not enough to fly her. I would guess that a ratio of 2:1 or 3:1 would be what should work. I would also think that the Kv is a bit high for direct drive with the motor you have. You would have to prop down quite a bit to keep from over watting the motor and or over drawing the battery. I think I put 14 gage wires for my battery. Good luck!
Rick
Old 05-16-2006, 07:18 AM
rastus21

Hey fellas, havent tested the 16 again yet, Changed the motor out to a het 3 turn, feels like it has twice the thrust as the kit motor, and certainly less torque.The weathers been to ****e or other things on, go on holidays to Fiji next week , so hopefully when I get back I'll take it out to the club to test it, I feel it will be to fast to fly safely at the park.
BTW what is the estimated speeds you guys are gettin?
Matt
Old 05-16-2006, 07:26 AM
davidm

I will try and B----tch to Tower, maybe get a refund on their motor. I will then go with a non gear drive motor on the 16. I still dont see a reason to spend another 40bucks for a watt meter. Maybe just borrow someones at the field.
Right now the F-16 is a dust ornament on my bench.

DavidM
Old 05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
jetace11

I use my 4200kv himaxx and a 1,93,1 gear box and 6x4 prop cc 25 and 1570 Apogee lipo
and get around 70 mph easy.
Going to put the same set up in my new 6mmflyrc F-5 and the 2 f-18's I just got in the mail

Mike
Old 06-01-2006, 03:32 PM
semc

Hi
Now that you mention it I might have reversed the prop after my bench test but forgot to reverse the brushless motor ??. I have now purchased the D/13/32 brushless with 3-1 gearbox, and three lithiums. on full bore I can put balance the plane under my finger and its got a good push, I will try it on the field when the weather inproves (UK no flying for four weeks now), I have also purchased the ultrafly hawk with the same motor.
Thanks for help.