Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Ultrafly F16

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 AM
rastus21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrafly F16

Just after some advice on launching this ac, Full power? Half then full??? And general flying characteristics.
Brushless version, e flight 40a speedie, 3s lipo.
Also the c of g , what every one has found with this plane.

Cheers
Matt
Old 03-21-2006, 10:13 AM
RickAvery

Default RE: Ultrafly F16

Matt,
I’ve put one together with a mega 4 turn, direct drive with an APC 6 X 4e prop and 3cell, 2000mah 15c LiPo. She hand launches VERY easily with ¾ throttle. Just a good, even, level toss and she flies away with no surprises. It’s not necessary to really chuck it hard. I’ve read of guys ripping the belly off trying to throw it too hard. I think my CoG is ~ 80mm from the designated point. My AUW is 19oz with considerable carbon fiber reinforcement. I can fly her around at ¼ throttle for 15 min, but set my timer for 10 min and fly around with mixed throttle. It’s kind of a quirky plane to fly as she needs attention and stick input all the time. Looks pretty cool in the air and is always a spectator pleaser. Slows down nice and stable for landings with minimal tendency to drop a wing. Good luck.
Rick
Old 03-23-2006, 02:51 AM
rastus21

Thanks for the advice man. By saying quirky, what do you mean? I would have thought it would fly point and shoot, turn and burn? Isit very fast?

Matt
Old 03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Cptn. Krunch

Dude, Mine is killer! I have a DIY motor that spins a 7x6 APC. I launch at 1/2 power or she torque rolls bad to the left. Mine is 17oz and IS and point and pucker plane. Yup, 80 to 90mm point is great. Yes, carbon rods were used in the stabs and the nose. With the throws tuned down and 50% expo it is sweet as pie. You are right Rick, they are a crowd pleaser. I have to estimate my speed at close to 80mph and unlimited vertical. Here is a pic of "Dier Maker"
Ola,
Cptn.K
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43244.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	431676  
Old 03-24-2006, 07:59 PM
rastus21

Nice lookin plane bro! Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to maiden. I think if it goes well, I'll get another and build for pure speed, add cabon, fiberglass the entire airframe,*****in paint job, big power ect ect. I've always loved F16's. Probably my favorite kero burner, and thats sayin some thing cuz I'm an Aussie and we drive FA 18s and Pigs....

Matt
Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 PM
RickAvery

Matt,
Good luck on the maiden. When I did mine, it turned out to be one of the more uneventful maidens thank goodness!! Here's a couple of in flight pics to get you amped to go. Happy flying!
Rick

Name:	Hf98680.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	434317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91195.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	434318  
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 AM
rastus21

Nice pix Rick, that almost looks like a full size dion some canyon runnin Cant wait for the maiden, hopefully this weekend all going well.

Heres a pick of my finished one.

Name:	Ay73716.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	434451  
Old 04-04-2006, 03:56 AM
rastus21

Well I tried to maiden today....all bad! Just wated to torque roll into the ground.....3 times. I'm running the standard brushless that comes with the kit and gear box. It is turning an APC 7x5. The motor is D13/32 Kv 3200.

Im thinking of running this direct drive with a small prop, take out the torque roll factor a bit.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 AM
rastus21

Well I tried to maiden today....all bad! Just wated to torque roll into the ground.....3 times. I'm running the standard brushless that comes with the kit and gear box. It is turning an APC 7x5. The motor is D13/32 Kv 3200.

Im thinking of running this direct drive with a small prop, take out the torque roll factor a bit.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:47 AM
RickAvery

Matt,
Bummer on maiden attempt. How much throttle were you using to launch? Try trimming the ailerons for slight right bank. I'd think that no more than 3/4 throttle would get her going. Full throttle will almost always get her rolling to the left at launch as the prop is taking a big bite at the low initial speed. Good luck.
Rick
Old 04-04-2006, 09:13 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One way to resolve the issue of torque is to use a bungee, its cheap to make one. I flew my Micro Jet and hand launching is so bad. With a bungee I get perfect launches everytime.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Cptn. Krunch

Matt,
Try this: Look for a small hill to launch off of if you can. That will give you those extra couple of seconds to correct the roll. I did that with my other jets until I figured that even half power will roll the plane considerably at start up. I have watched some video of mine and it is at 90 degrees in a roll after the throw. It's just a matter of getting back to the stick after the chuck, I admit I have been lucky some times. You do have a powerful set-up so you might try to increase the angle at which you launch too, I try to get a 20 degree angle when I throw mine.
Good luck!
Cptn.K
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 AM
rastus21

Rick, with the throttle settings I tryed 1/2 3/4 and full, all the same result just differing in how fast the roll was. Plane went about 5 meters in a lovelly barrell roll. My buddy hand launched it and I hauled opposite aileron , over she went, left and lawn dart in to the grass.
Plane is fixed now, put some skewers in the nose to strengthen it as this is a very weak point.

I'm thinking of changing the motor for direct drive, what would you guys reccomend, as I'm new to ep, been doing glow for years. May try bungee if all else fails.

I really want to get this plane going, cuz I love F16's, and want to train on these b4 I go edf.

Matt
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
RickAvery

Matt,
Wow!! The frustration must be growing. My Bro-in-law has an Ultra-fly SU-27, a much larger plane, and he gets some torque roll with an 8 X 6e prop. He put a 7 X 5e prop on and the roll is much decreased. He is running a HiMaxx 2816 – 1220 outrunner direct drive. Since I’m running a mega 16-15-4 direct drive, I’m using a much smaller 6 X 4e prop and get no noticeable roll at launch. The 6 X 4 is a much smaller prop physically even though it’s basically just a few sizes smaller by the numbers. With your plane rolling even when your friend launched and you going for right aileron, and still getting left roll, my next question would be, How much aileron travel do you have? Also, I’d check the flying elevators to make sure that they are parallel with each other. If the front of the left elevator is down further than the right one, she will constantly want to roll to the left. As far as the weak EPS fuselage, one thing I’ve been doing with all of the foamy builds, the only thing I’ve been flying the last 3 years, is adding carbon fiber reinforcement, especially in the nose & usually in the wings. Most are designed for lower powered brushed motors using heavier NiMh batteries. Put in a brushless motor and LiPo batteries, and now they fly faster than designed. In the case of the F-16, I used rectangular CF, ~ 0.020†thick X 0.35†wide and embedded two strips, one on each side of the fuselage, starting at ~2†back from the tip of the nose and ending behind the rear of the cockpit. I then fill with light weight spackle. I also added 1/8†CF tubing in the underside of the fuselage and a piece of CF rectangle in the wing. This adds an amazing amount of strength to the airframe for the small weight penalty. I’ll try and post some pics of the CF reinforcement later this evening when I get home. Hope you get her sorted out. Good luck.
Rick
The first pic shows the 1/8" dia CF tubing running the length of the fuse and the trailing edge of the wing. The curved piece of CF at the front of the wings is rectangular ~ 0.020" X 0.175". The second pic is of the rectangular CF in the fuse.

Name:	Ki19047.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	439213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50778.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	439214  
Old 04-06-2006, 12:56 AM
rastus21

Thanks Rick, I think I might peel the decals off and install the carbon fibre rods like yours, and then fibreglass with light cloth. Thinking also of getting a direct drive motor and smaller prop.
Im using a 40amp speedie and 2s 1500mah lipo, so what would you advise? I really want to get this bird flying.
Re aileron throw, I'm using what was suggested in the instructions, I'd figure I'd change them as flights were logged. Also elevators are even, I was very concientious of wing incidence and all things being straight.

Btw this is my first pusher, I've always flown high powered noise machines with a traditional design , ie mustangs, extras, pylon ect ect.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:39 AM
RickAvery

Matt,
I had figured that since you are a glow flyer that all of the points I had mentioned had already been checked, but they were the only things I could think of. You did say in your last post that you were running a 2s LiPo, and in your first post you said it would be a 3s LiPo?? If you're not using a 3s, I'd give that a try as the additional power will help accelerate the plane faster where the additional air speed will get you some control authority with your ailerons. 2s with a gearbox just doesn't sound like the right combo. Best of luck.
Rick
Old 04-06-2006, 10:38 PM
jetace11

Rick is right....drop a 3cell in her and she will MOVE

Mine now has a himaxx 2025-4200kv with a 1.93.1 gear box and a 6x4 prop like Rick also, and this thing is a rocket..But I do think she needs a fair bit right aileron on the begining of launch.

Mike
Old 04-07-2006, 12:56 AM
rastus21

ORIGINAL: RickAvery

Matt,
I had figured that since you are a glow flyer that all of the points I had mentioned had already been checked, but they were the only things I could think of. You did say in your last post that you were running a 2s LiPo, and in your first post you said it would be a 3s LiPo?? If you're not using a 3s, I'd give that a try as the additional power will help accelerate the plane faster where the additional air speed will get you some control authority with your ailerons. 2s with a gearbox just doesn't sound like the right combo. Best of luck.
Rick
correct, i just got a 3s, i made an error on that one as i'mstill trying to interpret the ep jargon????. If it still sucks I'll go direct drive,like you, these motorare pretty cheap any how. Also installing the carbon rods..
Old 04-07-2006, 07:50 AM
RickAvery

Good luck Matt. I think you'll be surprised at the power difference with a 3s battery.
Rick
Old 04-22-2006, 09:42 AM
rastus21

I've changed the motor out to a het typhoon 4w direct drive,set up now consists of the typoon 4w eflight 40a speedie, 3s 1500mah 20c lipos, 6x4 graupner prop. Seems to have gotten rid of the torque roll, in a static sense any how. Test flying again tomorow. Weather permitting, it coming winter here in Melboune Australia. I think with this set up I will suceed, and will be pretty damn quick to boot.

Matt
Old 05-01-2006, 04:08 PM
semc

Hi Fellas

Can you help, I have Ultrafly F16 with a het 6/3d motor, 9*3.8 prop direct and 1200 3 cell lipo, the motor draws 13.9A at 126W and the thrust is 29oz (834g), and the model weighs 19oz (560G), When I launch the model flys straight out for 20feet and glides to the floor, I would have thought that amount of thrust would go vertical, I think the 20 feet was the result of my throw, what am I doing wrong with my setup, which direct brushless and prop should I get for the best performance, would appriciate help.

The same happened on 7 *4 prop 13oz (430g) thrust, 76W 7.53A 3 cell

Richard uk
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM
clovus

Matt,

Just curious. Have you had any successful flights?

how did you go with that setup?

Clive
Old 05-03-2006, 11:49 PM
RickAvery

Yea Matt. Been waiting for a flight report. Hope all is well.

Richard,
I'm not familiar with the Het motors, but just gliding to the ground sounds strange! It doesn't take a lot of grunt to fly one of these babys and if the motor is turning at all she should go farther than 20 feet!. What is the Kv of the motor? Is the prop installed in the correct direction? That seems to be a big prop for direct drive applications by the way. Good luck.
Rick
Old 05-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Fireman1979

Guys, how do you paint the F-16? I live in the Netherlands and want to paint mine in the three grey scheme, but don't know which paint is usefull for this job....

Eric
Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Cptn. Krunch

Semc,
Pardon me but you may want to check and see if you may have your prop on backwards.
Fireman, find some water based paints in your local craft store. They usually keep a lot of stock and the paint is quite nice in an airbrush. i use a brand called Americana.
As you were,
Cptn.K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.