Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

RTF SU-27 FLANKER

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:21 AM
calla76759

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RTF SU-27 FLANKER

linka,

Heh heh, I love that you evaded a crow on your first flight. That's priceless - great report. It's strange that the problems are all owed to the first transmitter, but oh well. Thanks for the epoxy tip as well.

With one good transmitter and two planes on the same frequency, at least you can fly them simultaneously in formation, right? Then you could really scare the crows away.

How hard would you say the plane is to fly? Is it beginner-friendly?

Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 AM
linkadrip

The plane is very beginner friendly.I would recommend it for anyone getting stated in RC Jets. Now that i have thought about it a little i think the reason that the first transmitter is faulty is due to it being used with the Flight simulator software. When i first try'
d the transmitter out on the plane everything worked fine. I then decided to get some feel for it buy using it with the FMS software that came with the plane after that the steering wouldn't work. May have damaged it somehow. Just a caution to anyone thinking about plugging it into the Mic port of your computer.

Since i'm such a tinkerer i'm going to take the transmitter apart and look for visual damage on the circuit board and with the control stick. may get lucky and be able to repair it.

the plane that is at the Toledo show i'm almost certain it is the same exact plane i have watched that video two or three times and stopped the vid to examine the plane all they did was paint the thing a different color.

I used 5 Minute epoxy and thinned it with alcohol and painted it on the front of the first plane to see the effect it would have. I of course tested it on a piece of foam of the same kind before doing this to see if it would damage the foam. And it didn't so i applied it to the front of the plane and let it dry over night and it now feels like a hard plastic and has dried clear. But you have to make sure you get Clear drying Epoxy.

I plan to due the whole plane and see what effect it will have on the weight and flight characteristics. I do know that it has strengthened the plane in the front area.

I do recommend that a person that is not familiar with flying a RC aircraft get flight time on a Simulator of some kind. Its a lot cheaper to crash in a simulation. Although actually getting out and doing it is the key to learning how to fly. I never had an instructor just did allot of reading and simulations. Have had a few crashes but thats expected. Can't go out and not expect something to happen. Just do it .

I chased a crow for probably 50 yards and then he decided that it was an enemy and turned on it i evaded buy going straight up in the air then doing a loop and coming in low to the ground. but it was to fast for him so i got away. i don't think i will be chasing any more birds unless my plane has BB guns on it. It was to close a call. not recommended.

I did get a laugh out of it though when it was all over.

Till next time.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:15 PM
dmondong

linka,
nice report. Im also interested in this model. I live in Germany. Hope you can understand my english
Can you tell us about the fligt time with the included set up? will it fly at half trottle?
How about the transmitter. Can we devine our own prefferences?(left stik: gas and stearing gear,right stik: aileron and elevator)?
What range does the reciver has?
Sice it has landing gears and foam body,I was wondering how robust it is. I hope it also can handle some hard landings. How does the gears are connected to the body. Is there any plastic plate between them? In your pictures I saw plastic plate under the cocpit,but not sure if it also hold the nose gear.

thanks
Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 PM
linkadrip

Dmondong

Flight time on this model so far has been fifteen mintues. Iam to scared to go over that haven gone till it quits that wouldn't be wise. Everything on this model is pre set and not changable unless you replace the radio it comes with witch probably wouldn't be to difficult.

Receiver range has to be more than a hundred yard i have flown it at least that far and still had control over it and was able to retreive it ( bring it back to me). the landing gear seem to be durable and i have landed it pretty hard a couple of times and it didn't seem to hurt any thing. Yes there are plastic plates in the model.

It a fun plane to fly and a good plane to learn with my main purpose for its purchase was to learn how to fly planes better. Without fear if i crash i will be loosing alot.

Highly fun Electric jet plane. And very manuverable.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:15 PM
dmondong

Hi Linkadrip thanx for the reply.
I hope that the reciver can be easily replaced with other cummon 6 channel recivers (do the servo and ESC connectors are universal?).
How is the transmitter set?gas and nose stearing on the left stick?
What would you say about the flying speed? ( is it compareble to a parkflyer?)
Are you planning to mod. this kit and go Burshless? is the weight a dominant factor? maybe retracts are also realistic.

thanx again..
Old 05-03-2006, 12:44 AM
linkadrip

I beleive you could do anything you want to this Arplane i don't see any limitations i thing putting retractable gear in it would be neat But considering its made of styrofoam, you would have to definetly make modifications to the engines for more power to lift the weight. As far as speed goes it comparable to a park flyer. i don't think it goes over 60mph. on a real calm day with no wind you may possably get this speed for a short period of time. with brushless yes but stock no.

i would say this is a plane for someone who is intrested in getting into flying jets and is ggod for that but as fare a putting alot into mods i would recomend getting a plane desighned for such. This is just an inexpensine ducted fan plane throttle and steering are on the left stick elvator and Ailerons on right 4 channels. yes i beleive you could change the receiver but would recomend a small micro size. ESC would take modification to the connections it is a in factory soldered to the ESC board type.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am hoping that Cox comes out with this thing as a fuselage seperatly or as a "repair part" too. This thing looks so nice I could see investing in two brushless fans and ESCs and fiberglassing it or some other hardening of the bottom and LE and flying it as a keeper and not a foam throw away.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 PM
tartago

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Linkadrop:

That´s a nice plane. How much did you invest on it? Would you send me the shipping box measures? Thanks and keep us posted about your flights.

Regards:

T.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:48 PM
linkadrip

Well i invested 200 dollars in the purchase of the jet i bought two of them one for myself and one for my son. And will send you the shipping box measurments if you like. My son and i are going to fly them this weekend and now that i have him with me i'm going to video tape the flight of one of theses planes hopefully it doesn't end up being a crash video. So i'll keep everyone posted on the latest on the plane.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:26 PM
tartago

200 bucks is not expensive if it includes motors, radio gear and transmitter. I hope you have a nice experience to tell about the flying.

Regards:

T.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:37 PM
jimbosstuff1

Hi out there, can anyone give me a c/g location on this su-27? so far what I have is a pretty cool looking race car and not a airplane! There is also way to many glitches, however maybe after I relocate the antenna from inside the fuse, to the wings this problem may be solved. I just received this airplane last week, so its is the latest in there offerings. looks like it should fly, the video makes it look so easy. any other advise on how to turn this pavement pounder into a air wonder would be greatly appericiated. thanks Jim
Old 06-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Tim Lopes

Hello, I'm new to the group and found it looking for information on the Art-Tech SU-27.
I recently purchased the plane on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ADME:L:AAQ:US:1 ). The plane was shipped directly from China and was delivered in only a few days. For the money, its a beautiful model and very impressive. I have to say, I was extremely excited to get it airborne! After doing some preliminary ground tests, it appeared to be in perfect working order and of good quality. However, shortly after takeoff on my maiden flight the plane began performing very erratically, resulting in a disastrous crash, snapping the fuselage in 2 pieces along with damaging many other components. Upon a post-mortem inspection of the assembly process, we discovered that the receiver’s antenna had been routed directly over the speed controller, causing interruptions in the transmitter’s signals. After re-routing the antenna and doing some intensive testing at some distance, we were able to eliminate all the glitches. If you’ve bought this plane or you’re thinking about it, make sure you go over it thoroughly before flying it. Obviously this was an oversight at Art-Tech and needs to be addressed in the assembly process. I’ve notified both the distributor and Art-Tech of the problem. I’m also hoping they will help me out with some replacement parts. I truthfully feel the plane has great potential and I am really looking forward to seeing it airborne again.

http://art-tech.cn/english/ArticleS...p?ArticleID=139

Tim,
Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 AM
ea01bg

I looked at one of these a few weeks ago, but couldnt find out if it would hand launch.
Do you think this plane has enough thrust to hand launch? I fly in a nearby field and have no runway.
Also I think that Cox has a deal with this company for this plane and the Christen Eagle. They are booth the same planes. Cox is selling them
wth out the radio gear I think. I just bought the Christen Eagle, hope I dont have radio problems as well!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:38 AM
linkadrip

Well as i said before i bought two of these planes and the first one is fine the second one on the other hand is a great race car but wont take off. why this is i have no idea i beleive the elevator isn't moving up enough. my son and i took the second one out for a flight and took the video camera but forgot to chage the batt for the cam. and didn't get any footage but our next outing we will be prepared. So before to much longer we will have a video of this thing in action.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Tim Lopes

linkadrip “the second one on the other hand is a great race car but wont take off.â€

I had the same results on my first attempt. I then realized that the plastic cosmetic pieces on the landing gear had moved and were rubbing on the wheels. Once I removed the unintentional brakes, the plane was able to gain way-more ground speed for take off. Unfortunately I didn’t get very far before the planes receiver lost connection and slammed it in the ground.

I’m still optimistic about the potential of the plane but my advise is, go over it with a fine tooth comb before flying it.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:27 AM
linkadrip

Thanks for the advice i will look sat the plastic cosmetic pieces and remove them if it will help this plane get off the ground. There definetly not needed. I have gone over the plane a few times but never thought of the plastic on the landing gear. We were going to try and fly today, but the wind just seemed to strong. Hard to get a day when the wind doesn't blow here. But when the day comes wheather we get it off the ground or not its going to be interesting to watch.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 AM
ea01bg

FYI for anyone following this theed and thinking about getting one of these planes. This is the exact plane that Cox is now selling. The Art- Tech web site now has this list as Exclusivly ava;ible through COX ( along with the Christen Eagle). Cox will be selling them without the radio Eq.( not a big loss the art-tech radio eq. is junk). And marking them up to 250 plus. There are still some avalible on E-bay at 199 or so.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 AM
woodys_house

I picked mine up for $165 from Nova Hobby on E-Bay but have not had the opportunity to fly it yet. There is another blog with some good tips on settings for this plane. I contacted the Cox sales people and they will be selling the unit starting next month for $280 on their web site. It doesn't come with much except a good profit line to them.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 AM
linkadrip

I tried to locate Nova Hobby on Ebay and didn't have any luck. I would like to check them out do you have a link to them? And the cox web site and the Blog that has set up tips on the Plane. Would really appriciate it. thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 04:09 PM
linkadrip

heres my son flying the su-27 his first rc flight. Su-27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZYvrTaSmdE
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Tim Lopes

http://stores.ebay.com/novahobbydepot
Here is Nova Hobby's Ebay store.

It look's like your son had as much luck as I did my first flight. Once we moved the antenna away from all the other onboard electronics, I just taped it all back together for some more test flights. So far I've had three pretty succesful takeoffs and landings, so now I will spend some time and make it look pretty again.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:18 PM
linkadrip

Thanks for the link to the store. Yes he did some pretty good damage but i'm repairing it and will try again i think i will take a look at that a the attena and see if it is across the receiver. Before we try again i filmed my take off but haven't uploaded it to the site yet but its pretty much the same as his it lifted off and then hit the ground. I flew the plane once before when i first got it and didn't have all these issues it flew great. But that was just the one flight.
Now its haveing the glitching issues you mentioned, so i'll have to see if that wire is causing this problem. Thanks for telling me about the issues you have encountered.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
calla76759

I have the same radio - it came with my Art-Tech Cessna. The glitching is weird...it happens in FMS when I use the transmitter to control the sim. I think it might be the crappy potentiometers in the transmitter - they have dead spots that cause the transmitter to send garbage signals.

The reason I reached this conclusion was that my glitches occur when the sticks are moving, not still. And they seem associated with certain control combinations/positions.

Dan
Old 06-30-2006, 04:45 PM
ea01bg

I had a glitch with the art_tech reciver in my christen eagle. I swapped it for an old futaba reciver / radio combo. It works OK with the supplied servos so far, dozen or so flights. Also had problems with the art-tech reciver in my cessna. Nice planes Junk radio Eq.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:35 PM
monss

The planes are now been sold in Australia, but without Tx and Rx. I've got one on order and plan to use my existing JR Tx/Rx, so it will be interesting to see if I get the glitches you guys got. Great thread though, and have picked up a lot of tips for when I put mine together and get it flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.