Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

OUT WITH DUCTED FANS, BYE BYE TURBINES, ITS ELECTRIC 16-20 LB EDF WE WANT FOR REGULAR JET POWERPLANT

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

OUT WITH DUCTED FANS, BYE BYE TURBINES, ITS ELECTRIC 16-20 LB EDF WE WANT FOR REGULAR JET POWERPLANT

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:20 PM
williammillette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OUT WITH DUCTED FANS, BYE BYE TURBINES, ITS ELECTRIC 16-20 LB EDF WE WANT FOR REGULAR JET POWERPLANT

THIS IS IT GUYS THIS IS WHAT WILL BRING HUNDREDS MORE PILOTS INTO THE JET AGE.WITH ITS SIMULAR TURBINE SOUND ,AND THE ABILITY TO PUT IT INTO ANY 91 SIZE MODEL WITH EASE OF INSTALL .THIS IS WHAT BOB VIOLET AND MANY MANY OTHERS ARE WORKING ON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! THE ALL OMIGHTY 91SIZE EDF. WITH 16-20LB THRUST. ME AND A FRIEND DICK A RETIRED ENGINEER WITH MANY PATTENTS AND EVEN A SON IN CHARGE OF THE SHUTTLE AT NASA ONE OF US WILL GET IT RIGHT. THOUGHTS ARE MABYE A 3 STAGE IMPELLER OR EVEN A DUEL INLINE EDF WITH DIFERENT PITCH IMPELLERS.

THANKS TO LITHIUM BATTERYS THIS DREAM IS TOMARROW JUST WHO IS THE FIRST TO SELL IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BVM BEING REAL CAUTIOUS TO RELEASE THEIR VERSION

ALSO BEING CAREFUL TO MAKE SURE IT ONLY FITS THEIR MODELS IM SURE. THATS THE BUISENESS RIGHT.

SO LETS HEAR SOME IDEAS BEFORE IT COMES TO LIFE.

HOW WOULD YOU DO IT

WOULD YOU BUY IT

HOW MUTCH SHOULD THE SYSTEM COST

WHAT SIZE DIAMETER WOULD BE BEST

ANXIOUS TO TAKE A CERMARK F16 AND CONVERT IT FIRST.............
Old 04-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OUT WITH DUCTED FANS, BYE BYE TURBINES, ITS ELECTRIC 16-20 LB EDF WE WANT FOR REGULAR JET POWERPLANT

The Schubeler (sp?) guys in Germany are currently offering their CF EDF assemblies that deliver 19.5 lbs of thrust. These fans are all CF and are works of art.

Not inexpensive, however. This fan is $345; the motor, esc and LiPo battery add up quickly and put the assembly in the $1K+ range quickly.

Not for the faint of heart...

Here's the info

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502662
Old 04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
jim3d2004

Default RE: OUT WITH DUCTED FANS, BYE BYE TURBINES, ITS ELECTRIC 16-20 LB EDF WE WANT FOR REGULAR JET POWERPLANT

Man I'd like to get ride of my turbines, nothing but troubles and high dollars. I thought they where so cool at first. Spent so many dollars, shipping back and forth, parts. It would be nice to see some high performance EDFs.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Jet_Viol8r

I got to see the EVF (BVM's Electric VioFan) at Toledo last weekend. Also got to talk to Bob, but he didn't offer much technical info. because they are still looking for the right power combination.

Like any BVM product, I'm sure it won't be cheap. Hopefully, they price it lower than a Schubi.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:25 PM
williammillette

gentleman ..................................weve found it............................already made edf with 19lb thrust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
made in germany and a us rep in main i believe !!

will post details

but it seems violet is not the first! but just hoping on the us market wagon

Old 04-13-2006, 10:34 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

See EJF.com for the Schubeler Ducted Fan and motor. He is located in Tucson, Az.
Bob
Old 04-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Loubud

B.A.E. Hawk
For sale here on RCU.
Limited edition.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=186903

Old 04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Klaus has been designing fans for years and he is at 90 percent efficiency. This is cutting edge technology and will be the power plant of the future. This unit puts out approximately 20lbs of thrust.

P. Richards aka Swat Team

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

EDF is my primary interest in R/C flying and have either owned, or own, a total of six (6) EDF's, three of which were twins. But if I add up the thrust produced by of all of these it doesn't approach the 19.5 # level of the Schubies or Winnmodels (Klauss).

And if I ever find the wherewithall to afford one of these monsters I will certainly take the plunge.

But one thing we have to consider. The static thrust of an EDF is it's maximum and declines as the plane's velocity increases while the thrust of a turbine remains nearly constant. Thus, in the same airframe, the turbine will be faster in top end then the EDF. So, if maximum speed is your bag, then the turbine is the path of choice.

Others have indicated the sound of a turbine, plus the smoke, plus the heat plume all add to the coolness of a turbine. With EDF's, the sound ranges between that of a hair dryer to an electric leaf blower. They don't produce a heat plume. And smoke; well if you get smoke, its a sure sign that something has gone south.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
RCParkflyer

We still need more variety in electric motors to power these monster fans. We need HIGH Voltage ESC's that can handle all this power, and we kit designers to build jets that can handle this size of fan. The nice thing is that we are right at the start of something HUGE!! You will see everything come together in two years or less, so start saving those pennies folks, the future of BIG EDF's looks bright indeed!!!

Tom
Old 06-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big EDF has a bright future, but it doesn't include putting turbines onto museum shelves. They are two different, and fortunately, complementary technoligies that have their strong points and best environments. They don't compete, but rather compliment each other and meet on very similar turf where the rubber meets the road, especially for the big EDF's. Be happy to fly EDF's and don't worry about turbines and their furure (or lack thereof as some may surmise, which I disagree with). Both turbine and EDF have never looked better or had brighter futures IMHO.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:11 AM
RCParkflyer

Very True Eddie. I've also noticed that there making turbines smaller these days too. Pretty soon we might be able to have jets where we can overlap the technologys build it both ways. Right now the limiting factor (for me at least) is the cost. When it becomes cheaper to fly turbines, I just might do that. I don't have a blazing desire for speed, but I don't like how electric jets "fade away" as the packs discharge, either. With a Turbine you get full power, right up till she runs out of fuel.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Turbo MiCHael

Hope I can make You happy soon...

We are working on a nice CNC milled EDF Kit of the Yak-15 for the 120mm EDF like Schübeler, Wemotec etc... First prototype flown last month...

Hope to be able to present 2nd prototype on the Electric Flyer Meeting at Huttwil in Switzerland on 19./20. August or the latest at Jetpower 2006 again...

Further planes under constructions... also for 90mm EDF but no details yet [8D]

We will sell through Wemotec to US Market.

Best regards from Switzerland,
MiCHael
Old 07-14-2006, 02:57 PM
dbateman
My Feedback: (31)

I fly turbine and edf. The largest I care to go to on the edf level is the Aeronaut Panther. I think you start to see a point of diminishing returns as the size goes up and you approach the turbine realm. I bungee launch my edf stuff [ Jepe F-16 & Aero Panther ] so I don't need a ton of static thrust. I can go for top end performance. Both of these models hustle along very nicely. I am at the small end of turbine operation with a converted JHH A-4 Skyhawk and the Savex L-39. Wren 44 Power. Once you start to get up in this range with an edf it starts catching up with turbine cost rather quickly and will be hard pressed to keep up with and engine that has an exhaust velocity of 500 mph +. I don't know what all the secrecy is with the B.V. stuff but the groundwork for all this has allready been done by Mfgs. mentioned above and others. Doug