Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF-how big a plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EDF-how big a plane?

Been building a Bertella plans SU27 which was designed for two .91 DF's. It's 108" long, about 67" wing span. All balsa /ply construction. I was going to power with a couple of JPX 260's I have, but too much weight I think for this construction. Are there EDF's that would handle this size plane? What do these large EDF motor/fan rigs cost? I've got one Rossi 81/Turbax combo, but I'm not crazy about glo DF, especially 2 of 'em side by side. Any thoughts? Bill S.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EDF-how big a plane?

Bill,

There are EDF's available that could power this plane. You state "...but too much weight I think for this construction...". Not sure what you are saying here but if you built this plane to withstand the pounding of the Glo DF's, then you may have trouble flying it on EDF. Typically, EDF is virtually vibration free so heavy plywood is not used.

If weight is not a factor then Schuebler and Wemotech, both German suppliers of EDF's, would work. Winn models of the UK also has some very efficient EDF's. With a big plane like yours the cost of the EDF's, good brushless motors to drive them, a pair of brushless speed controllers and the necessary LiPo batteries will probably be in the range of $1500.

For a better read on this, contact Robert Wagoner at the Electric Jet Factory. I believe the url is www.ejf.com. Robert handles both Schuebler and Wemotech as well as the motors and ESC's. Explain what you have, I'm sure he can aim you in the right direction.

Good luck with this project, how ever you power it.