Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF-50 stock motor system... can it be used alone?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF-50 stock motor system... can it be used alone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 AM
Rusty-Gunn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF-50 stock motor system... can it be used alone?

I've obtained four GWS EDF-50 motor systems for my nephew and I to play around with. The question is: can we use these motors by themselves, or do we need some sort of intake/outtake 'cowls'? Will the thrust suffer, used "as-is"? Thank you.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: EDF-50 stock motor system... can it be used alone?

I am only familiar with GWS EDF55/300H's, But I believe the plastic fan shroud is used on both but with different rotors and motors. The plastic shroud has a nicely rounded inlet section but I think you will need something more on the inlet end. GWS sells foam nacelles for these fans but I think they are over priced.

If it were me, I would either buy/build nacelles with a larger, well rounded inlet section and an outlet end with a reduced diameter, perhaps 85% of the inlet. If nothing else, fit a suitable foam or plastic coffee cup to the outlet end. Some brands of yogurt will work well also. Obviously, the bottom of the cup must be removed.

You don't have much thrust to begin with so these fans need all the help they can get.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Rusty-Gunn

I can do the cup thing. I assume I make the cup fit like a tail cone, and shorten enough to the end of about 85%. Does length of this tail cone matter (obviously the cup is a fixed length to begin with)? Is longer better?
Also, I read elsewhere that the stock motors almost always need to be run at or near top speed just to fly and can burn out quickly, whereas a brushless motor don't (due to higher thrust), so my question is how long will a Feigao motor last (a recommended motor for the edf-50)? Thank you
Old 06-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Larry Dudeck

BL motors, as long as you don't exceed the maximum recommended current, will last a very long time. Obviously there are no brushes to arc and/or wear. Probably the bearings/bushings are the weak spots.

Like any electric motor, too many amps will kill them because of heat, too many volts will cause them to come apart at the seams. As long as you use a suitable battery, you will have no problems. With BL motors the best approach is an ESC for each motor.

Length is not an issue as a suitable size cup will only be 3 or 4 inches long to begin with.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 AM
Rusty-Gunn

Hello Larry... thank you for the info. I took a styro cup, and cut it to fit the rear of the edf (2 inches), with a very smooth transition, and cut the cone to length that measures about 1 3/4 inches diameter, my estimate of about 85%. The tail cone is somewhere about 3/4 inches long. I put two of these motors on either side of a home build plane of my design, and flew it two days ago. The plane is very fast, by my beginner standards. I've had to cut to just over half throttle. I crashed it several times, re-glued it, and flew again. The fuse now needs a major re-build, so I'm re-doing it again, and expect to be done tomorrow. This is quite a bit of fun. I think I'll enjoy edf's. Thank you for the info.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Larry Dudeck

Glad to hear of the flying success.

One word of caution, however. EDF's are fun and inexpensive as long as you play with the small GWS types.

But these things seem to escalate. I think the unwritten rule is $ increase exponentially to absorbed power of the fan.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Rusty-Gunn

Larry... "...flying success" thank you for putting it mildly. The plane did fly, five times, but the ground kept getting in the way!
I've re-done the fuselage, this time with a thin bamboo stick poked into the blue foam material, about half it's length, as a stiffening device. The last plane kept breaking into pieces on the still-frozen tundra. I've got to re-solder the wires, and install a wing saddle, and it will be ready.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 PM
clovus

Photo's of your creation??
Old 06-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Rusty-Gunn

Photos are subject to the availability of my neice's camera, since I can't do it at this time. I do intend to share photos eventually, though. On the plane in question I got the wing saddle section done, wing installed, just need to re-solder the wires, and go fly the bugger. I've been busy with work, so this is taking some time, plus the weather has been lousy anyway. Oh well...