Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The BIG Easy. Sonic Liner

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

The BIG Easy. Sonic Liner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:31 AM
RickAvery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The BIG Easy. Sonic Liner

I know it wasn't a big seller here in the states. I had been watching the big box at the local hobby people for 2 years. $180.00 seemed a lot of $$ for a bunch of foam. I just kept watching and the price kept dropping. The box was actually fading from the flourescent lighting. A few weeks back the price had dropped to $89.00. Hmmmmm.... Half price.... OK, I'll take it. I was looking for a fun project, easy to fly, and something nobody else I knew had. The fact that it's BIG was all the better. A brushless LiPo powered system from the get go was decided on. I picked up 2 warp-4, 5 turn motors and CC 25amp ESCs. Already had an electron 6 Rx & 2 HS-81 mg servos for the ailerons. Picked up one additional HS-81 for the elevator. Couldn't believe how big it was when I brought her home and check assembled the major components. The tape revealed 52" long and 49.75" span. A BIG FOAMY!! Everything went together without a problem I build slow and think things out. It takes a long time to sand those little radial shaped mold marks from all that foam. With everything together, still naked white foam, I did a range check last weekend and threw her in the air. WOW!! Flew straight away from me at 30deg up. Maybe 2 clicks aileron trim and 4 or 5 down on the elevator and that was it. Very stable. Doesn't do anything twitchy. Rolls with recommended aileron throws are very slow with a lot of altitude loss. I'll up the end points on those servos to get a little better response. Loops aren't a problem though & you can get the wings flexing pretty easy. Had and odd shape in the air with the canard set up but the size and easy banked turns made her look a bit majestic. Landing was as easy as a slow stick. Spent the last week with rattle cans and brushes fixen her up. Threw her up today for her first dressed up photo shoot. With all of the hyper handeling planes/wings I have, this is going to be a great relaxing and unique plane for the hanger. Happy flying.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84744.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	474635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65307.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	474636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49091.jpg
Views:	14