Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lipo vs Nicad/Nimh advice for an Early DF

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Lipo vs Nicad/Nimh advice for an Early DF

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
jpor22
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lipo vs Nicad/Nimh advice for an Early DF

My first electric airplane. Need help with this prize I won at a drawing. Anyone who has either owned or flies this airplane, I could use some advice.
I would like to reduce weight, increase flight time and maybe get better performance by changing the battery from the recommended 7 cell 8.4V Ni-cad/Nimh to a 2 cell Li-po. Will the voltage of a 2200Mah Li-po at 7.4 and a 12C or 15C discharge rate be enuff to get it up in the air and make it go?? I have been told that it will fly and do okay because despite the voltage difference the reduced weigh will allow it to fly just fine. Another suggestion was to go to a 3 cell 11.1V Li-po and it would not hurt the 2.6amp motor that comes with the kit, but then we are back to the weight issue. Also, any suggestions on types of ESC, Batteries, etc.. The kit says a 30A esc. but whose???
HELP!!

JP
Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Ed Waldrep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo vs Nicad/Nimh advice for an Early DF

What airplane are you talking about? And the motor, it's rated for a max of 2.6 amps? What fan, what's the diameter? Sounds like a small fan, maybe the edf 50?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:16 AM
jpor22

Ed, first of all, thanks for getting back to me. The airplane is a Kyosho FV 1000 from several years ago. I won it in a raffle and it's the first EDF for me. I just decided to put it together and am stuck on these basic issues due to ignorance about anything electric.
I spoke to a fellow electric pilot and that's where I got the info you read in my previous posting.

John
Old 06-17-2006, 01:42 PM
jpor22

Ed, the info I was given was not specific to my question so I came to this site to get more complete answers.

John
Old 06-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Ed Waldrep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I remember on 7 cells the stock ap29 motor pulled about 29 amps on 8 volts, which means 240 watts. A 2s lipo would be about 7 something volts, so you might be down to 200 watts or so. You could go to a 3S2P 4200 milliamp lipo which would give about 10 to 11 volts at 35 amps (guessing here) and maybe 350 watts. You'd have to throttle back some to reduce wear on the brushes but they will wear out anyway eventually. I don't kow how the plane would balance with lipos up front. The best thing would be to go over to RCGroups.com and go to the electric jet section and do a search, there's much more traffic over there. I don't have very many readings for the stock setup of the Kyosho, only 1 and that was taken by someone else.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:19 AM
jpor22

Ed, thanks for the advice. I did go to RCGroups and found several pilots flying this bird. I'll get the details from them.

Thanks,

John