Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF - High Rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Diaz028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF - High Rpms?

What are the highest RPM electric motors out there? Are there gear boxes to multipy the RPM factor as well?

How about RPM/Kv ? Does 3500RPM/Kv mean a higher RPM than 900RPM/Kv? If so, then 300 series spin faster than 600 series?

Thank you !!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: EDF - High Rpms?

I have seen advertised data points for 56 mm EDF's at ~45,000 RPM.

Typically these high RPM motors are used in direct drive but no reason they could not be geared down.

Regarding the Kv of a motor. With a Kv 0f 3500, the armature will try to rotate at 3500 RPM for each volt applied. Similarly a motor with a Kv=900, each volt applied to the armature will try to turn at 900 RPM.

Not sure what your last question is. 300 series? 600 series? You might be refering to the old nomenclature used by some motor manufacturers. Graupner had their sp300's , sp400's, etc. The designation referred to physical size, not neccessarily Kv.

Or maybe not...
Old 06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Diaz028

How about power ratings? What kind of power do I get in electric vs glow engines?
Not sure what your last question is. 300 series? 600 series? You might be refering to the old nomenclature used by some motor manufacturers. Graupner had their sp300's , sp400's, etc. The designation referred to physical size, not neccessarily Kv.
Hobby lobby and most other sales places have their electrics advertised as - " faster than speed 400's " or -" For 500 and 600 series "

Can you guide me towards a good high RPM (40Krpm+) and high power electric? Thanks !
Old 07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

www.warbirds-rc.com

www.ejf.com

Two of the better vendors for EDF equipment.

High power equates to high $

Power ratings are all over the map. A Wemotech MF480 fan, driven by a HET Typhoon 2W on a 3S lipo delivers about 350 watts or ~.5 HP. Take a big step up to the 120 mm Schubeler fans and 1~2 kW (1.3~2.6 hp) systems are possible. Lots of dollars, though.

You can not make a direct comparison between a glow driven prop and an EDF. $ for $, amp for amp, you can not beat a prop for pushing or pulling an airplane around. On the other hand, an F86 or any other jet aircraft look just plain dumb with a prop hanging off the front end. So the EDF most definitely has its little niche. But they are not for everybody.