Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Now that's a Hawk!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Cptn. Krunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that's a Hawk!

While cleaning out my workshop I realized I had a set of full size servos and wondered what to do with them. I have gone all electric since 2000 so I started looking for a project of the larger variety. Enter the BAE Hawk from Aero Fever. All foam and comes as just a bare airframe for $50. This was very easy to build and get flying. This is a big jet so I used a Hyperion 3007 outrunner for pushing it around and with the AUW at under 1 Kilo (38 oz) it is very gentle when throttled back or like an arrow when at speed. You will need to add some weight in the nose but to lessen that, this is a great use for some older full size servos in the nose to balance it out. This is a fairly big plane so you do have to respect that it should be flown in a larger area. Although you can land it slowly, it can come in fast.
Maiden Flight:
Around 9:00 a.m. with a slight wind and a clear sky, I set her down on the red gravel of a baseball infield. She accelerated immediately and lifted off with just a blip of elevator. Climb out was fast and I found that it is quite stable. I pulled back the power to around half and still had plenty of climb. Wind came up but the only thing it affected was landing speed. I estimate the landing speed to be 20 mph but could be much slower. Rolls were ok, loops were good and tracking is great. So, if you have some basic hardware laying around and like a challenge of building a plane without instructions, try this out. It is very nice looking in the air and gentle handling when balanced at 155 mm from the intake lip. I will be sending some video to Albert at Aero Fever for use on his website.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53336.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	486932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70338.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	486933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55483.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	486934  
Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Now that's a Hawk!

How about some specifications: WS, power system, etc.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Cptn. Krunch

Default RE: Now that's a Hawk!

Larry,
I used a Hyprion 3007 motor and a 35 amp SC with 2600 3-cell batts. WS is 40 inches. I used 1 oz servos for everything and it helps to lessen dead weight in the nose. Since I am using a pusher, I plan on re-doing the intakes for a little more scale appeal. 8 flights now and no real issues.