Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Sniper Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Pitts S1S
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sniper Question

OK First thing, Don't jump all over me because I'm in the electric section.

Has anybody out there converted the Sniper to a glow fan like the Kress Jets RK709? If so how'd it work out. Kress's website says it will put out 3 1/2 lbs thrust, and I think it will fit.

Any thoughts??

Getting the flame suit on... OK, Fire away

Jeff
Old 08-27-2006, 09:26 PM
byrocat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sniper Question

You can put away the Nomex, this is a serious question that needs a serious reponse, not vicarious dragon-blasts (for now).

I think that the first thing that you should do is to investigate the modern edf units of a similar size. Not saying the the Kress is a bad unit, but unless they have seriously updated the design, you're looking at a 20-year-old concept.

Wemotec produces a similar sized fan unit (lighter weight, different blade structure that is designed from the get-go for electrics and readily takes the brushless motors.)

The RK units are designed for alcohol-burners and needed the beefier construction to take the pounding that comes from an IC engine.

Whoops![X(] Mis-understood your original posting until I re-read it. You're going the OTHER WAY -- to the Slimer Side!

Initial answer is "not without a lot of reworking" the structure of the model may not be enough to take the high-frequency pounding from the IC engine (25K). You may save on the weight of the fan/motor and batteries BUT the structure may have to be reinforced to take the altered weight distribution as well.

Best answer might be to return to the Right Side (electrics) or to redesign the plane from the drawingboard up.

Best keep the Nomex handy!