Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RC micro guided missile model, think it's possible?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

RC micro guided missile model, think it's possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 PM
dyrodium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC micro guided missile model, think it's possible?

Heh well me and my friends think this would make a cool project. A micro RC radio control missile!

The problem would be it's ability to fly, but with brushless I think the propulsion needed could be obtained, as well as keeping to a tiny light 300mah lipoly pack and micro reciever. I'm looking for a good missile to copy the design off, but the current "smart" missiles seem to have the biggest control surfaces. Also, I think an internal ducted fan would be the way to go, keeping with scale looks and to protect the motor from sudden impacts Another issue is getting small enough servo's, as my current micro ones may be too heavy.
The body would be made from the high imact strength polystyrene, and control planes probably from another thin plastic, but only two or max three micro servos. The idea is to make it as light as possible to get maximum lift out of the tiny control surfaces.
I like the look of this however [>:] http://www.picture-newsletter.com/mi...ound-64_04.jpg
EDIT: in fact, the V1 *doodlebug* looks VERY suitable to reproduce in scale rc
http://www.macksites.com/images/v1flight.gif

Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM
DT56
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: RC micro guided missile model, think it's possible?

The air intercept missile pictured would be difficult to fly, due to high surface(wing) loading and very large turn radius. Just maintaining orientation would be difficult because of the symmetrical design of the type. Also be a bit difficult to land without severe damage.

The V1 on the other hand, is simply an early cruise missile and I've seen building plans offered for it. A ducted fan installation could work extremely well on that design. Just about any of the more modern cruise missile designs would also make decent models. That's because they resemble an airplane more than a missile.

I'd say that if you have no concern flying a F104 Starfighter with "scale" size wings, you should be able to fly just about any cruise missile type design. After all, the F104 was known as the "Missile with a man in it."

Good Luck!

DT56
Old 09-08-2006, 12:01 AM
dyrodium

Great! I'll go with the V1 I think, It's a design worth making a scale model off, come on, the first cruise missile!
What would be a good choice micro ducted fan unit? If I wanted to go REALLY tiny... I could make my own unit using this motor!!! http://www.ozhobby.com/product_info....9c51f1558dc276
Old 09-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Joe 1320

Already been done, this guy was making them out of Depron.

http://www.depronlasercutting.com
Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 AM
CrashMagnet

I've been working on a precision bomb for RC airplanes for a few months now. The guidance would be a simple bang bang IR seeker. This requires a high intensity IR source on the ground for the bombs to seek. I invision some kind of Osama's Lair being bomb by a F-15 or something.

Like you, I've also struggled with the need for a very low weight actuator. The best solution I've come up with is something called muscle wire. It contracts in less than a second, is compact, and is very low weight. Just Google muscle wire.

Jeff Stout