Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Phase 3 Fantom EPP Jet

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Phase 3 Fantom EPP Jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:27 PM
sbenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phase 3 Fantom EPP Jet

I have just purchased the Phase 3 Fantom EPP Jet and I am impressed by the small box it came in. I have yet to Build it but I was wondering if there is anybody that has built it and flew.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:34 PM
DaG

Default RE: Phase 3 Fantom EPP Jet

I'm thinking of buying one myself, could you post a review when you have built & flown it, sbenter?

Oops, I've just found this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571689
I should have searched before posting.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Velocity Don

Hi,

I am new to forums and this is my first posting.

Amongst other, I am now the proud owner of a Phase 3 Fantom. I have changed the colours but everything else is standard.

See it at http://www.powertorque.co.za/epf/fantom.htm and let me know what you think.

Cheers
Old 11-24-2006, 12:19 AM
Freddy Warbird

I fly one of these little birds, and it flys very well. Lots of power out of that fan unit. I have sucessfully flown mine off the grass several times. Not bad for out of the box fun. Purchased mine a www.rcworldofplanes.net
Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Aero D

Hey Don,

I checked out the photos on your Web site. I really like the finish on your Fantom. You indicated that it's covered in vinyl. Can you explain that in a little more detail? What kind of product is that? How is it applied? Does it come in different colors?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:48 PM
oris600

Hi

Have read the above with interest, am also thinking of purchasing a Phase 3 Fantom but wondered
if anyone had tried one in a fairly stiff breeze ?
Want an electric EDF but one that I can fly in a variety of conditions.

Any suggestions please

Oris600
Old 01-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Aero D

I bought one of the Fantom's at Christmas. It's really a cool plane. However, I find it is definitely more challenging to fly in breezy/windy conditions than a standard air frame. If not super tough to fly, just requires your full attention. When there is little to no wind, it flys like a screaming dream.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:05 PM
tekajo

Is it made out of EPP?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:37 PM
pilotorc4

I'm new to this forum and to edf, I just finished a fantom and covered it with vinyl and the nose section I covered it with cheese cloth and thinned down epoxy. I haven't flown it yet because of weather but it seems to have lots of power, can't wait to fly it
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Aero D

Can you be specific on the vinyl you used to cover it with? Any pictures??

I've been flying mine stock, out of the box, since Christmas. It's a great, fun flyer.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:18 PM
codystrack

Is the Fantom faster then say the Hobby Lobby Thunderbat EDF???
Old 02-23-2007, 04:52 PM
pilotorc4

I finally flew my fantom this past weekend, It was very fast but unfortunatelyI managed to crash it. Im going to repair it and hopefuly it will fly again this weekend. P.S. it rolls very fast.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 PM
raido56
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Aero D

I bought one of the Fantom's at Christmas. It's really a cool plane. However, I find it is definitely more challenging to fly in breezy/windy conditions than a standard air frame. If not super tough to fly, just requires your full attention. When there is little to no wind, it flys like a screaming dream.
I think it fly's great in the wind. I have had it up on 10 to 15 mph days no problems. A real fun plane to fly on a windy day you can get it to hang in the same spot and land it at your feet.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 PM
raido56
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: codystrack

Is the Fantom faster then say the Hobby Lobby Thunderbat EDF???
Do you mean Thunderbird? and they also have the Firebird EDF. I have the Fantom with the stock set up and it was clocked at 76mph but i have a little extra wieght on mine. As I added some C/F spars to it so it would be ready for the larger motor I want to try in it. The larger motor will run on a 4 cell pack at about 60,000 rpm. Now the Firebird I have is not the stock set up it has a Cool Red 3600 Kv motor in it and 30 amp ESC plus I run it with the 6 blade set up and the pull it real good with the 6 blades it's a real blast to fly. It has not been clocked yet but to me they are in about the same mph range.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99765.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	633368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37755.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	633369  
Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 AM
trinitized

I was not happy with stock set up. It's too slow. but i love the plane. I needed speed more speed. You have to be willing to upgrade to a high performace set-up and change the whole electric system.

I coverd the fantom in monokote to stiff up the plane at high speeds and rough landings first, then i built it and i also used a high performace pusher prop system . remember to add air intakes! Everyone hates me at the field due to the 136mph speed and the screamin loud prop. If u can handle the speed of this set up try it and thank me later. beware it's super fast. note:cover the fantom in monokote to stiff up the plane at high speeds so the foam doesn't fall apart or even ripp out in mid flight.

Try using a
mega 16/15/3 brushless
60 amp esc with HV
4 cell lipo
4x7.5 4x7.5 prop
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Aero D

I fried my stock ESC this weekend. Anybody have a suggestion on how to replace it? It's really wedged into the rear of the fuse.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:38 PM
lobot

sorry to bump an old topic...but i need help...bought my phantom a few mopnths ago, got the recommended bty/ charger etc...constructed the model and connected the bty...nothing happened ie fan whirred for a second but nothing from the servos and no speed control. since then the 30 amp fuze has popped so i guess i need a new one hence this post... ie i need a new speed controller and the one it came with is from kms...a replacement from them is £50 ish , does anyone know where i can pick up a cheap one?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:36 AM
ARF Guy

I put landing gear on mine. We have a hard dirt field and belly landings are out of the question. I used the wheels off the Horizon Hobby Electric Super Cub for the mains and made the nose wheel mount from a ball point pen cap epoxied into the mold circle on the bottom of the nose. I drilled a hole in the center of the mold mark and to the wood reinforcement to glue the pen cap into. I used a small section of Coreplast sign board as a mount for the mains and glued a square piece of acetate plastic at the nose and mains mounts to reinforce the mounts and spread the landing stresses over a larger area. I cut a section of the pen barrel and put another 'end cap' on the cut end. I drilled the end caps the diameter of the wire, pushed it through both end caps and mounted wheel collars above and below barrel section. I bent an axle and mounted the small Du Bro wheel on the front and the medium size on the mains. I bent the nose wheel slightly back so that it will caster straight under power. I plan on adding steering as I did on my Stryker C by gluing small inner Ny Rod from right elevon to behind the nose gear on the right side. I expoxied part of a small control horn on the gear wire close to the fuselage. I used small, flexible wire to Z-bend to the wheel arm and mounted an additional small control arm on the bottom of the elevon. I connected the push wire with a quick connect and the small diameter wire provides ample flex to protect the servo from any motion shock harming the servo gears. You barely need any movement to turn the plane and it sure is cool to taxi out, take off and land on wheels! - ARF GUY
Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 PM
ARF Guy

Got 'hit' yesterday using that lousy Hitech 3 channel POS in my Fantom. It was on its wingtip at treetop level and after 'flying my butt off', I saved it and landed safely. Went straight to the hobby shop and bought a Futaba 6EX 2.4 gig radio. Said I'd never have one of those 'computer' radios, heck I hardly trust servo reversing switches. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the planes I've seen lost because of a 'computer' radio so I had a heaping helping of crow when I bought this new radio. Test flew it this morning and outside of having too much 'down' built in, after a few trim adjustments, I had a nice flight and landing.

Don't get me wrong, during my career, part of my job was programming a $100 million dollar 4ESS long distance communication switch in UNIX with ZERO defects allowable.

Anyway, I added the steering system to my Fantom after my flight this morning. Should be pretty cool to taxi out, turn and hold till cleared for take off!