Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HET F-18 Hornet Micro air retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HET F-18 Hornet Micro air retracts

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:10 PM
JETSETF18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HET F-18 Hornet Micro air retracts

Does anyone know if you can put micro retracts on HET F-18 kit? They say fixed landing gear. But lately some new micro retracts have come out. Here is the link. Suggestions by anyone with some knowlege on this would be great. http://www.ductedfans.com/Retracts_micro_.html
Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 PM
CTulanko

Default RE: HET F-18 Hornet Micro air retracts

Jetset18,

It has not been done successfully yet to date and is not recommended...there is almost no room in the model for anything extra so fitting it is nearly impossible. Could it be done...probably by a very skilled builder. Should it be done...I would say no.

Carl
Old 09-24-2006, 09:15 PM
JETSETF18

I'm going to try. Did you see those little micro retracts? It has to be possible.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:26 PM
CTulanko

Knock yourself out and good luck...If you are successful, then be sure to post your build for the rest of us that fly the "Bug" so we can see how you did it and how they look.

Carl
Old 09-24-2006, 09:34 PM
JETSETF18

Oh for sure. That is what we are all here for. To learn from each others projects. I have a Blue F-18 HET kit just sitting in my closet so I thought I would go for it. Curios Carl, Do you know what the system wattage is with a Kontronic 480-42 with phoenix 60, running 4000MAH 20C 11.1V lithium polymer battery?? , Thanks--Will
Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those retracts.
There is NO WAY they would hold up in that plane. 2 pound capacity is very optimistic. More like one pound. Otherwise, they will be bending and breaking on every flight. They are nice, but not for a plane that big.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 PM
JETSETF18

They make one size up right from that right? I think it goes from Micro to mini. Do you think the minis would work?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure. Don't know whose minis you are talking about, but if you went with something larger, you should be okay. How to fit it all in, I don't know, I don't own an HET F-18. Worth it? Not in my opinion. Small planes with retracts are usually more headache than it's worth. But if you have to do it, go for it. Just not with those micro retracts! They are very nice, but only for a one pound plane or so.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:14 PM
CTulanko

Jetset,

You are going to find it difficult if not imposible to get the mini's to fit AND work...I would wait and either get a F-20 or the F-4 if you want a jet with retracts. If you are really stuck on it though, there is much more to take into consideration that the size...and that is the weight. A solid retract setup by an expert builder will add a good 9-10oz to the model if you do it right, meaning strong enough to support landings but light as possible. This means you now have a jet that will weigh around 38-43 oz dry depending on your motor choice, which is the normal flying weight of the model with battery. Add another 10-15 oz depending on the 3S or 4S battery you choose and you are now in the 48-58oz range, making the wingloading, and they are small wings, very high and in the 50-60+ oz/sqft range, which is pretty much unmanageable. Also, such a high wingloading will cause excessive stress in the very thin profile wing, which is not made to handle such weight.

As you can see, there is much more to adding retracts than just making them fit. Throw in proper positioning that is required so the plane will even rotate from a roll out (which will not happen if thay are not positioned correctly), plus problems with balancing in the up and down position, making room for nosegear and especially the added weight don't make a conversion very feasable at this time. Most people come to understand this and move to the next model. It is not my intention to discourage you, but to make you realize what kind of project you are tackling and that your money would best be saved for one of the other models. Also note that no one to date that I am aware has yet to get retracts working and flying in this model...and it's not from lack of trying. Even the one person I know who has done some extreme mods still hasn't finished his attempt. If you really have been bitten by the "Bug", I would suggest you wait for next spring's release of the larger FA-18 Twin Minifan 480 EDF Jet model.

Carl
Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 PM
JETSETF18

Carl,
Appreciate you taking your time to explain some on this subject. i agree 100%. The jet is to small for retracts. I live in NEW Mexico and there is not any grass fields to fly in. I am going to build this F-18 with fixed landing gear. Going to use Markos idea on the front. On the rear I might just use some of those Robart strut covers, I think they are plastic. They could be painted to look scale enough. I'll post some pictures. it may be a while though.
What company is going to make the new FA-18 with retracts next spring?? Where did you hear this?? Will