Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Alpha F-86 wiring question.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alpha F-86 wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM
bookmaker
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha F-86 wiring question.

This may have been covered somewhere, but I haven't found it.

I recently purchased an Alpha F-86 from Hobby Lobby. The instructions are interesting to say the least. I have also reviewed the thread by "Kevin" referred to on HL's F-86 web page.

My question is wiring the motor to the ESC. When I ordered the kit, the person taking the order said that the accessory kit would be short "one black 18ga wire". OK I figure no problem.

The kit came with several packages of connectors, and a red wiring harness with plugs on both ends. It says "Battery" on the package. No other wires (except those factory attached to the battery and ESC)

The instructions don't say how to wire the motor/ ESC/ battery. In looking at the thread by "Kevin", it is obvious he had added extensions to the ESC leads to the motor as his ESC is well away from the motor. The HL website photo shows the ESC nearer the motor, but still farter than the ESC wires could reach.

I called HL and asked them about the wiring and the person said not to extend any wires between the motor and ESC. I'm not electric savey, but I remember this note also from my E-Flight Ultimate. Anyway, I can see no way that the F-86 can be wired direct from the ESC around the fan housing, through the rear motor fairing and to the motor leads with the wires on the ESC.

I have a lot of modelling experience, but not much with electric.

Any help is appreciated.

By the way, The motor, ESC, etc are per the HL package they are selling.

Dale
Old 10-25-2006, 10:06 AM
420Geo

Default RE: Alpha F-86 wiring question.

Hey Dale
I can only tell you what I did...
soldered connectors to the esc and the motor wires.
Connected them and I run the esc on the shelf with the elevator serve at the back of the cockpit.
I ahve an Aon motor and use 1800 3s1p evo pack.
I binned the shelf for the battery and have made a small one for the servo and the esc just sits on this to the back of the cockpit.
Evo pack is velcro'd to the top of the intake.
Have you seen this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575608
Read it and get yourself the parts from Red 5. I have put them on my F86 and they rock! And will make your jet stronger at a very modest weight penalty.
I also added some very thin veneer to the inner fuz walls between the nose and the back of the wing, again for a little strenth.
Anyway, there is my help to you dude.
Regards
Geo 420
Old 10-25-2006, 06:16 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

hey dale.. after you get things wired ect... i run a hi-max 5300kv inrunner in my f-86. its a direct bolt on to the edf unit and makes your jet fly much faster at around 80 mph. i use a TP 3s 2100 lipo for power with 10 minutes+ flight times. good luck.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
bookmaker

Thanks to all. I've gone over the replies and reread the info I have and am ready to wire it up. I'm going to go with the stock stuff unless it's a real dog. I'm mostly into "gas" models and got the F-86 to goof around with my friend and his Mig. I expect he'll be able to run rings around the F -86 though.

Stoneenforcer, do you ever fly at the Ocala model club field? My mother in law lives south of Belleview (I have property there also) so I get down that way periodically. I'm a member of OFMC also.

Dale
Old 10-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Ingieuk

stoneenforcer, how god is that hi-max motor?! So impressed for such a cheap piece of kit. I don't kow the name of the motors but i rang round a couple of places here in the UK trying to get a suitable brushless innrunner almost always being quoted 50+ pounds. I struggles to get the Hi-max over here there was only one shop in the whole of the Uk with them in stock! Still its a great little plane though there isnt much space on the radio tray.

Bookmaker, i just used those gold corally-type connectors, smaller ones for the motor/esc connections and larger 4mm ones for battery.

Anyone found an optimal battery for this plane? I'm using a 1200mAh Thunder Power 3S1P but only get 6 minutes max. A lot of guys use much larger packs. Stoneenforcer - how far forward is your 2100mAh to achieve CofG? Iv heard of people using 1500, 1800 2100 and even a 2500!

Ingie
Old 10-28-2006, 12:33 PM
bookmaker

I got it all hooked up the other night with about 5" "extensions". It seems to work fine. I used the small gold connectors provided in the Hobby Lobby package for the ESC to extension connection, and the gold connectors provided with the motor for the extension to motor connection.

I used Deans connectors for the battery to ESC connection since that is what I have on my EFLight Ultimate. That rig has a 2100 mah battery that I may try in the F 86.

I hope to complete the F86 assembly this weekend.

Dale
Old 10-29-2006, 10:11 PM
bookmaker

I flew the F 86 today. Very nice. It is no blazing speed deamon, but it does have respectable speed and handles great. It is a little touchy without exponential, but not a real problem.

Dale