Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Carl.......got the bungee

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Carl.......got the bungee

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
JETSETF18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carl.......got the bungee

Carl, Will Here. Do I need to run 25 feet of small white rope from the release pedal of the launcher out to join with the bungee I got from areofoam? Mark at areofoam said I did, what do you think. I've seen the pictures of your launchers and I did not see 25 feet of line from the release pin (bolt). You hooked the bungee directly to it. I have decided to go with your white shelf board edition launcher for now since I mostly have f 18s. Will
Old 10-26-2006, 10:38 PM
CTulanko

Default RE: Carl.......got the bungee

Will,

The purpose of the bungee rope is for safety, in case it ever lets go at the anchored end. While I have yet to see this happen, it does and has happened. I don't use it because it extends the length of the bungee to nearly 100' stretched, few fields can accomodate this distance and I use the corkscrew anchor that is nearly impossible to break loose. If for some reason though I need to use the nail, I would still not add the rope, but instead use a spare anchor spike as an additional safety.

Also, you could hook up a small nylon model rocket parachute to the anchor end for safety. A similar device has been used for years in high starts and would work well for our application. The only thing is I have not yet had a chance to size which parachute size is the best, since I have a pretty stout anchor. Still, that is something I want to try. I would us a small deployment bag anchored to the ground and place the parachute in it so it would not be balooning in the wind and destracting yourself or other fliers. These are just a few ideas to help you with your setup. Good luck and keep us posted...fyi, the ramp is a great choice!

Carl
Old 10-29-2006, 08:00 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

HI gentleman, I'm completely new to bungee launch and have a Jepe Pyrahna on the way soon with a sick fast set up. should i go with a rail launch like iv'e seen at hobby lobby. or the straight pull along the groung kind? how many LBS of pull should i use to send her flying? thanks for your insight.R.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:25 PM
JETSETF18

Carl should reply soon. He is the man when it comes to bungee and jets. He will probably tell you to use a dolly system, which seems to be the best. Check out a earlier post that says" How can I build my own bungee? It has a lot of links that carl put in there for me. Check it out.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:30 AM
CTulanko

Had a bit of a delay with networking issues, so I have been off the net for a while. Stoneenforcer, the rail launcher at Hobby Lobby is just fine, or you can go with a setup like the Jepe Dolly. What ever you do though, avoid a straight drag across the ground as it is the hardest type of launch to make successful; the model does not have a positive incidence to accelerate lift. With the Rail, you leave airborne and at a slight up angle, as you also do if you use a dolly/wheel launcher. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Carl
Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
tam popo

Hi! Keep it off the ground and grass - use fishing rod blanks about (6ft long) inserted into old tent poles that are hammered into field - attach bungee to each end of blanks and pull back like a kids catapult - honest, it does work!! Have bad shoulder so my only way of launch over long grass. Up, up and away