Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF System Recomendations for 6-8 lb jet - tornado research plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF System Recomendations for 6-8 lb jet - tornado research plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Cooolwyp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF System Recomendations for 6-8 lb jet - tornado research plane

I would like to build the following plane with an EDF for the power system and am looking for recomendations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohka

The goal is to build around 1/5 or 1/4 scale. I am thinking it will weigh between 6 and 8 lbs so anything from 5-8 lbs of thrust for max speed. What fan/motor/speed controller/ battery setups would you recomend???? I have only done small EDFs so i am not sure what range i should be looking in. I am looking for a max speed between 125 and 150 mph.

Also on a crazy though, i am thinking if i can get a plane like this to work and go fast enough, using it for some research on tornados (i am an amature chaser). It would be equiped with cameras and sensors and be flown into a tornado, hopefully coming out the other side, but most likely just making it to the center. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, legal reasons not to do it? Please do not say that it is just crazy and not worth the money, i have already heard that. Oh and if i were to do it, the plane would have a parachute on it so when it was tossed about and lost control or out of range, it could be deployed so it would not turn into a missile.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-02-2006, 04:26 AM
DepronJet

Default RE: EDF System Recomendations for 6-8 lb jet - tornado research plane

Cooolwyp

these are excellent AND Expensive too

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=193

Ray
Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Cooolwyp
My Feedback: (1)

Ray,

I had found those the other day while looking, what type of current draw do they see? I could not find that anywhere and that makes a big difference in price for batteries and speed controller. I also saw the WemoTec fans and was wondering how those perform and what type of setup works well for them.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 11-02-2006, 09:41 AM
DepronJet

Cooolwyp

thats the price for the EDF Only ! hahah
the motor is extra [X(]

it is the Rolls Royce of EDF's but if your looking for an alternative then Airpower do a 120 mm unit that is good for 45,000 RPM and produces a very nice 20 N

Depending on the motor used, static thrust in excess of 700 grams can be achieved at only 200 W input, but the fan can be run up to 1000 W input to deliver 20 N of thrust and more.

Suggested Motors: Mega 22/30/xx or 22/20/xx, Hacker B50, Kontronik.

but your cell count is gonna be high to make it sing

Ray