Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Ducted fan Newbie!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 05:09 PM
doodlebug101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducted fan Newbie!!!

Hi there folks, just a quick one,

i own a 38" red arrow slope soarer and was wondering if a ducted fan would be able to make this thing sing. i fly ic planes but have no experience what so ever on jets and fans alike. can any one shed some light on if this is possible anf if so the best way to go about it. cheers

Rob.

(a wanna be jet boy!)
Old 11-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Ducted fan Newbie!!!

If the Red Arrow was not designed for an EDF, it probably does not have the internal ducting needed for successful EDF use. Modifying the air frame for ducting might be difficult. Even after adding ducting, the final result may be disappointing.

A far simpler course of action is to mount a "pusher" prop/motor in the aft end. This will eliminate the need for ducting and will allow you to fly this plane sooner.

$ for $, amp for amp, a prop will beat an EDF every time.

With the money you save on this plane, you can buy an EDF plane from any of the vendors who sell them. Take a look at www.warbirds-rc.com for some slick offerings.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:35 PM
doodlebug101

Cheers larry, just needed someone in the know to shed some light!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although Markos has some great EDF's on his site (warbirds-rc.com), not much there for the "newbie". I have a F-20 Tigershark running 4S

Might look at a Fantom:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/107310.asp

Not sure if they offer it on your side of the pond, but I've seen them fly several times - pretty easy looking/forgiving platform.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
gvf1994

Gentelmen!

K&B .45 with Turbax fan combination? How much thrust shoud i get from it? If it for use what weght of airplane would be marginal? Model, is a passanger jet so speed is not that imported, however underpower is not likely as an option.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 06:08 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob, I hate to sound like a salesman but surf on over to eletricjetfactory.com and have a look at the sportjet 70. The more I fly this thing the more I like it. I fly at a field where there are several turbines, so we're all pretty used to 150+ mph passes. The SJ, even with the fixed gear, is fast enough that it draws comments about its speed. It will also perform on the slow end of the envelope, with a little headwind it will almost harrier in. Relatively inexpensive way to get into EDFs.

Andy