Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

flyzone diablo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:37 AM
paul daniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: flyzone diablo

Nothchim: Sounds like you might have cooked something. Good to know that you had a Wattmeter on it. However, the ESC was a 35 amp and you said you ran it to 40. How long? The thing is, the ESC can go over 35 amps but will not like it. Was the motor, ESC or battery hot? 400 watts sounds like an awful lot for that set up. Do you have a LHS that has a person that knows a lot about electrics? When I get stuck that's what I do. There is free software you can get like MotoCalc but it seems like a lot of work.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
northchim

Paul: I wasn't at 40 amps for very long, just a few seconds. I also tried a SS45 and I think that's when the hyperflow may have bit the dust. That 4s LiPo from Flight Power packs a serios punch! Right when I opened the throttle I could tell how much more power it was making. I think I warped something either in the motor or the hyperflow becasue the hyperflow tolerances are all sloppy now. The esc and battery were both warm, however I don't know what is a dangerous temp just by touching it. The esc has a shut down safety when it gets too hot though. I can take it to my LHS and see what they say. Do you know of a good RPM reader? Is there a meter out there that reads watts and RPMs also? I am dissapointed in the advise I received from Hobbico product support. They should have known better. At least I have a Funjet I can start building and flying in the meantime.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:29 AM
northchim

I just checked the specs of the Ammo 24-45-3790. It's rated for maximum 278 watts and I was over 400 watts. It's rated at 25 amps continuous/50amps surge and I was over 40 when I shut it down. I think its obvious this was not a good set up and I most likely permenantly damaged my motor, esc, and hypeflow. I still can't imagine what the Hobbico support guy was thinking by OKing this set up. It's even in the Hyperflow manual as a tested set up! Next time I will be doing my own research and calculations you can be sure.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM
animal acker

North: I think you are dealing with the same kind of stuff I dealt with when my e-flite burned up. You go by what the maker says and bang, it breaks. I have some good news for you though, If you send it back with a nice note explaining what happened you should get compensated for your troubles. I got a new e-flite motor in the mail the other day and never spoke to anyone after the first contact with customer service. I am sending it back though because I want my money. My ammo motor 20-40-4040 is just as quick and I can go full throttle the whole time if I want with no problem. However today at work my wing aileron servo crapped out while dive bombing some geese, I may get some new wings maybe not. The lhs has the L-39 now, I could have got one friday but I think I'll wait and see if it's good or not. Dont want another flying turd! And did you get to see the pictures I posted of the motor on top? Much improved.

Paul: I will take your advice about the batteries and yes I have seen these common sense batteries on line.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:38 PM
northchim

animal: yea I saw those PICs. looks good. We'll see what hobbico has to say about the situation.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Erik St.

I think there is a lot of 'value' in this plane. To get the entire package for anywhere between $100 and $200 is not that bad. Compare: I also bought the Yardbird MIG 29. It was too hard for me to fly, even after lots of sim practice. Now I've added exponential throwa to tame it and I can fly it. Now of corse it's a great plane with better equipment, I'm just saying that the Diablo isn't very expensive. I know it's an apples-tasty oranges comparison.

MIG 29 costs (estimates because I forgot some):

battery $35
ESC $30
Spektrum DX6I $180
motor $20
servos $20
plane $60

Total $345

Diablo battery issues: I've used these, with no probs so far.

1500 weight 131 grams
1650 140 grams
2200 146 grams

For anyone reading this who is newer to the Diablo, if your plane doesn't fly well, like in the videos, try carving out some foam and moving battery forward. Don't correct with lots of up elevator.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM
northchim

Erik: Tell me about your Yardbird Mig-29. I was thinking about getting the Yardbird F22 for my next plane. Why was it so hard to fly at first? Which set up did you get and how fast is it? Gary
Old 04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
tubamike78

is their a video anywhere of the diablo flying with the short wings?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
animal acker

I dont know of any video but if you have a brushless motor then you should really get the short wings, they make the plane much quicker and tons more fun. Mine is still ass heavy but not nearly as bad as with the stock wings.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
sparky4166
My Feedback: (1)

Several videos on Youtube of both long and short wings.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM
animal acker

OK guys tell me what you think, I was looking at some different edf units online, would it be possible to use a larger diameter edf on the diablo and still get away with using the same brushless motor and esc batt. Basically just switching to a larger edf.
I realize there will be more torque needed to spin the fan but how much more< say if I used a 64 mm instead of the stock 56.
And dont worry about the edf housing I discarded that long ago, see photos previously posted.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM
northchim

animal: I am thinking the same thing you are. I just ordered a new set up that I think will hold up better than my last set up. I have already ordered an XF edf with a "wicked extreme" motor from DonsRC.com (check them out). http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=50 This edf can handle 60,000rpm and it is the same size as the Hyperflow (56mm). The motor can handle a 4s lipo and put out over 500 watts. I ordered an E-Flight 60 amp esc to go with it. Spent about $190 for everything. DonsRC also can size a set up for you with a larger edf if you want to, however they don't sell the edf themselves (hobby lobby for edfs). http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ductfan.htm I say go for it! Slap the biggest one you can find on it. Lets see if we can break 100mph.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
jrodri4566

here is a question how do you get the new brushless motor in the hyper flow it is all glued up?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
animal acker

jrodri: You can either rip apart the housing, carefully and get to the motor then or trash the outer shell of the pod and put the base on top and use some zip ties either way put the motor on the top not the bottom. Go back in this thread and look at the photos I have it will help, also look at what northchim did on you tube. You will need a small, very small allen wrench to get the set screws loose on the shaft and be careful when taking the screws out of the old motor which hold it to the hyperflow unit they like to strip out. Lastly, look on the side of the hyperflow unit for a small hole that you can put the allen wrench thru, enabling you to access that set screw I mentioned. And you will need to open up the hole where the new motor goes its not big enough. Have fun!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
animal acker

Hey north: Thats one fast plane with this wicked motor set up, I hope you're using the advanced wings because the stock ones may rip off from the drag. I cant wait to see what your flying turd is capable of, I will check out the other web site as well. I was thinking of trying this with a 3cell and my same esc. we'll see , good luck reaching 100 mph and beyond.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:29 PM
northchim

jrodri: Hobbico makes it almost impossible to swith motors without breaking something. I was very frustrated working on the motor. If they would not apply glue to the brass fan rotor adapter it would be a breeze to switch motors. I used a long utility knife blade to reach between the edf and the foam to break the bond. I was not able to remove the fan rotor adapter without damaging the stock motor so i just tossed it and used a new fan rotor adapter on my new brushless motor and then glued everything back into place except I did not glue the fan rotor adapter so I could change motors without removing the complete edf unit again. Like animal said, a small hole in the right location to insert an allen wrench is needed also.

animal: I do have the advanced wings on my plane, but have not flown with them yet. I'm going to wait until I have my new set up before flying the diablo again. I have a question. With the motor on top of the plane , how would you protect the servos, arms, and pushrods from damage on landings? Right now I plan to fly with the motor back on the bottom until I figure something out. Does anyone have an idea about this?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 PM
animal acker

North: Funny you should ask that, I have ordered a new set of wings since one of the servos has partially stopped, it only moves the aileron half way. I plan to glue small sections of foam under the wings, just next to servos on the outer side, that are barely taller than the servos themselves in order to protect on landing I still fly with the one bad servo but it works and these wings are taped and glued together any way. the flaps like to come disconnected from the main part after a few mishaps duct tape on top and bottom with a little slack works well, for future reference. I have been searching the net for other edf units but alot of tham say that the fan fits 3 mm. shafts mine is a 2mm, does the adapter I see fit both? any advice is welcome.
I also have considered just getting the components of a twister jet and making them work on the diablo, I think its kinda like putting a 454 big block into a chevy cavalier. FRANKENDIABLO
Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 AM
jrodri4566

cool, guess i will be staying with a brushed motor....does the dual pod make any BIG difference?? is it worth the 24.99?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 AM
northchim

jrodri: the dual pod is not worth the money, escpecially with brushed motors. The dual pod is very heavy for this plane and it drops like a brick when you dead stick. I bought one and only tried it one time before I realized it was not a good idea and stuck it on a shelf. I have not heard any one try the dual pod with BL motors. It may fly better but it would be expensive.

animal: That's a pretty good idea putting foam next to the servos. I'll try that. You can buy 3mm fan rotor adapters from Tower Hobbies, that's what I had to do to mine. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=GPMG3943&P=7 It comes 3 in a kit, one of which is a 3mm. I had to use tape on my first Diablo when the rudder came off after a crash. What size edf comes on the twister? My Funjet is done and I've flown it a few times now. This plane really performs.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:39 AM
aircraftking

Oh no I really hope I did not ruin my lipo for the diablo. My question, anyone here know if the charger that comes with diablo has an auto shut off? Reason I ask is that I had mine charging and forgot about it. It was on the charger for just over 3 hours when normally it takes around 2 1/2 hours for a full charge. When I came to it after I remembered, the light was off, not red or green. So I am hoping it shut itself off before it overcharged the battery? Can someone confirm this? I am kind of paranoid with these lipos since I already ruined 2 of them for running them too low as far as I know.

Also, another question, could I use that twin pod with the basic wings or is it designed for use with only the advanced wings? I imagine the plane with be faster with the advanced wings anyway.

Oh, did I mention I hope I did not fry my lipo? [X(]
Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 AM
northchim

aircraftking: I don't know about the charger having an automatic shut off. You can check in the manual or call Hobbico customer support and ask them I guess. There number is 217-398-8970 or email is [email protected] They're usually pretty friendly when I had to call. My recommendation on the dual pod is don't use it. But if you want to it works just fine with the trainer wings. It's not that much faster with the duals because of the added weight.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:37 AM
aircraftking

I picked up my Diablo from ebay last week, actually got it new for only $100 which I think was a great deal. Had the first flight with it today in 10-15mph winds and had no problems. I climbed to about 300ft or so and cruised around. Its ashame they say it goes from 30mph to 60mph in the video when you add the dual pods. The video sure makes it look like its moving much faster but from what I am reading here I wonder. It also makes me wonder if maybe the Diablos that are out now could be newer models then when they were first released especially since mine seems to fly pretty good and my brother's flies well too? What mainly keeps me from wanting to use the dual pod is thinking it may drain the battery much quicker. My flight today was over 12min which is not too bad but I cruise at only 50% throttle most of the time. I probably could have went longer but I do not like losing my engine and having to land especially when I have some good winds blowing. I need some thrust to keep my plane controlled and get it down in one piece and I doubt anyone likes losing their engine on any plane during windy days while on an approach.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
sparky4166
My Feedback: (1)

Aircraftking.
I have left my battery on the charger all day and haven't had any issues. It's always been green when I take it off. I have been flying mine in 10-15 mph for 2 weeks but yesterday the wind caught it just right as I was turning final and it nosed into a hill of gravel. I think you will find most of the people selling on ebay are actually buying the diablos from Towers Scratch and Dent. I bought one from scratch and dent for $80 that said Major damage that had less damage than my first I bought from my LHS.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
animal acker

Aircraftking: You may have a bad charger, I had a bad charger when I got my diablo, so its possible yours shot crap. The dual pods didnt seem like they ran the bettery dry that much faster to mee and I liked flying with the trainer wings and duals because you did get more thrust for take off which is good but thats all its good for, just get a brushless and put it on top. Dont bother with this junk. Trust me and all the other diablo veterans on this thread, we have done the dirty work for you.

North: Im happy to hear you are doing well with the funjet, thats great. The edf on the twister is a 70mm and I think its a himax if I remember correctly. And those adapters, are they the same kind that come with the stock hyperflow units? because I have those. Will that brass adapter which is 2mm on the shaft end fit at the other end, (the hexagon end) into another fan unit. Does that make sense what Im trying to say? I hope so.

jrodri: dont get the dual and dont just give up on the brushless. its no big deal, the process is easy just get a motor like the one they reccommend and put it in. you will be glad you did.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM
northchim

animal:
Yes the adapters appear to be the same kind that come on the Hyperflow, just different sizes. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your question. I guess it depends on the size of the adapter wether it fits or not. BTW I slammed my FJ into the ground and broke a few parts. I will have to order a new body for it. It sure is exciting to fly though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.