Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

diablo junk

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diablo junk

I was so relieved to read the responses of all the other poor people who are in agony because of this ass heavy, poor quality, slow, flying turd which has very poor lift ability especially with the so-called advanced wing. I have the dual power pod also, it did help me but the original wings are almost a must. I have flown it two times successfully with the other wings and spent most of my time trying to get some altitude! A coule of days ago I got the brushless motor and esc. put it in the single pod, which is about as easy as eating broken glass. It will require the assembler to do the modifications without removing the motor housing from the pod itself. The results however are greater speeds over the dual pods, but not alot and about five minutes more flight time, it sounds like a flying tornado siren too. I have yet to try the small wings with it, but I have noticed that I must remove all the nose weight when flying the small wings. And that is with the dual pods, I wont even try to fly with the old single. Yes lots of wieght in the nose like all the others. I am looking for the set up for the brushless dual pods motors at least to see whats involved. I am of the mindset that if I have bought this turd I might as well polish it! HA! As for the designers of this product, I suspect they were third place in the flight engineer team for the speacial olympics. They should be blinfolded and walked off a cliff. Any responses would be nice thank you.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Default RE: diablo junk

Don't waste anymore $$ on your Diablo. The bird is not worth dumping anything more than a few dollars into. I would recommend installing a brushless in the single pod, not the double, its too heavy I think for good performance. And don't use the ammo set up that Hobico recommends. Try something like this instead:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3850
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=4860#

This set up sounds like a good bang for your buck.

What I did on mine is glued the wings on, some guys tape. I inserted rods down both sides of the fuse for additional strength, moved the batterty forward. And I'm trying out landing gear ideas and also thinking about where I can relocate my receiver to solve the radio glitches that many Diablos suffer from. Does yours have radio issues?

Don't waste too much time on this bird. Just do a few simple things and enjoy it for what it is.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Thank you for the info northchim but I already am flying the ammo set up. in the future I will consider your suggestion. I do want to find another plane which I can take the guts out of my diablo and install into. Anything you recommend?
Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 AM

Assuming you want to stay with EDF planes, here's a link to Hobby Lobby's ducted fan jet page. I think it's a good place to start browsing. Each plane has a video of it flying.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/electric_jets.htm

Some of my favorite EDFs are the A-10 Warthog, The Multiplex Twister (this may be a good one for you to try out), and the F18.

Check out the Funjet by Multiplex also.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/

Have you experienced any radio glitches with your Daiblo?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Hey thanks for the info. As for the glitches, just a few... The most noticeable being just a few days ago with the brushless set up. Luckily I have not had the extreme problems like some others. I want to try to use all the guts from my diablo and transfer them if possible to a better plane. Maybe the L-39 whan it comes out or that twister.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM

I'm about to upload a video I did today on my Diablo. Check back later to see it.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Forget about landing gear...try this instead:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PAjbqvjAu1E
Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM

i just replaced the stock motor with a E-flite park 400 BM and it has 4200 kv and i used a 7.4 1000,mah lipo and my plane flew for 9 minuets with my heli evo pack 11.1 v 2170
it almost blew the wings off the thing and i know it was flying at or above 100 mph and 12 minuet flight all this with a single pod and trainer wings i plan to get the other wings this weekend and i will find out how it flies with them i will say the brushed motor really is under powered and mine just stopped running in mid flight the fan unit can be taken out in just a few minuets but you do have to be somewhat careful i used a small knife and ran it around the fan housing to pop loose the glue and then it just fell out with a gentle push. i thought it was easy to get out but it may have been bad QC on the glue line as to why mine was easy anyhow mine fly's good and now it fly's fast too
Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 PM

James199 I have a question about that. Please tell me the BM is the brushless motor, I get that what is kv? I am obviously new to this so be patient please. Also are you saying that you flew for nine min. with a 7.4v 1000mAh, and a second flight of 12 min. on a 11.1v 2170mAh lipo? I have the standard brushless ammo 20-40-3500 and the 25 amp esc and the advanced wing, My battery is the stock 1500mAh 11.1v and I am nowhere near 100 mph! Not Even close!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 AM

Animal, what you say is basically true, it's not a blazing fast plane. And the dual pod sounds heavy and may not be an 'upgrade' at all. I went flying at lunch the other day and turns out I forgot the radio, so I flew my Sky Fly. I thought something was wrong with it, just so slow and hard to gain much altitude. Then I switched batteries, after 10 minutes of flight it hit me. This is how my Sky Fly always flew, I just thought it was slow because I've been flying the Diablo. The Diablo is faster and turns better than the Sky Fly; it has been a good second plane for me. BTW, when I turn and lose some altitude to gain speed I can do three consecutive loops, maybe more, with out losing too much speed, what do you guys find?

So, what I'm saying is this, it's a beginner jet, slow enough for one to learn on. If it was too much faster I would out-fly my field. Now that I'm a little better I'm doing the brushless upgrade for $35 total.

I think this planes problem is that it looks so fast, we expect it to burn up the sky. But since it's a beginner jet they made it very forgiving and slow.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Erik, what motor and is 35 for just the motor or does that include the esc? I got the ammo 20 40 3500 and the 25 amp esc like the one recommended by the maker. I would like to go all out and try to make a frankenstien out of some spare parts from broken planes and a big ass motor if I can get it on the cheap maybe from e-bay or craig list. Also I want to try to put my motor on top like northchim discovered. Mines glued in place.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 PM

the motor i use is a E-flite park 400 4200kv and the battery is a evo 2100mah 11.1 volt the speed control is a 45 amp one that was in one of my heli's i don't remember the name as the sticker come off ...
ALSO i would like to set the record straight and apologize it didn't make it to 100mph but it does fly at a consistent 87.4 mph i was using the length of the field and a calculator for the numbers . i was told the flight line was a certain number and found it to be short so i had a friend who is a police officer shoot it with radar he did it 4 times to make sure also it will do loops and roles in level flight with no problems. i also placed the motor on top of the airplane and placed clear tape on the bottom for landings. at just over (one to two clicks) 1\4 throttle it flies at 36 mph which is about factory speed. it is a blast to fly and it does look cool in the air
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM

james199: It sounds like you have a good combination. I can't wait for my upgrades to come in. My cousin has a radar gun and I can't wait to see how mine does. Why don't you make a video of yours flying at that speed for all of us to enjoy?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM

i will if i can get my wife to shoot it i will just have to make sure she uses a camera and not the shotgun she doesn't like my hobby to much [&o] i got my airplane as a gift in raffle my main thing is helicopters and they cost Lot's my plane's are just a filler when i want to relax some times