Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Alfa F-86 Sabre Question >

Alfa F-86 Sabre Question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Alfa F-86 Sabre Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa F-86 Sabre Question

I'm nearing the end of building an Alfa F-86. The 1500 mAh battery I'm planning on using is a 3S 11.1V and is just 3/4" H. Unfortunately the top will close but it's slightly weged open. I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this and did you correct it by cutting a hole in the cockpit to accomidate it? Any other suggestions or things you may have done to correct it? Thanks for the help and if I get a chance to maiden it this weekend I'll post the results.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Alfa F-86 Sabre Question

Cutting a hole in the bottom of the cockpit is your only solution. I used a thinner battery on mine...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:05 AM

You should be able to get a 20mm pack in there, I managed to fit an 1800 4s1p pack under the canopy!

My advice, remove the battery tray, make up a new tray from 1mm ply and fit it in about 1mm above the duct, it doesnt need to be long, just enough to velcro the pack down well, find the COG position before commiting to gluing the tray in.

Pic below is of one I did for a friend...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68882.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	955128  
Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 PM

I separated the inner/outer portions of the canopy and scotch tape the canopy to the jet. Rare earth magnets might be a cleaner way to do it. While I lose the cockpit detail, there is plenty of room for the PQ 4s 1800 pack I use. Hope this helps!!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 PM

I used the dons rc wicked extreme motor and pentium 40 esc in my saber and it is fast as it gets!! also put an 1800 mah flightpower pack 3 cell and found the fit very tight. What motor and pack are you using???
Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Initially, I dropped my battery tray ply down right against the top of the duct to get some additional clearance.

I am in the middle of a rebuild on my f-86 and plan to remove the tray altogether (I split my tray, back half for servos will stay). I have glassed the top of my duct and plan to velcro my packs right to the top of the duct from now on. I am tired of having to chop that tray out any time I want to pull the motor and/or ducting.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im very close to buying one of these jets. What is your overall impression of the model so far. To thouse of you that have flown it. is it worth the money. If you had to do it again what set up would you use. ESC,FAN,MOTOR.etc

Thanks

Trev