Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

F-5E 6ch help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Ramos02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-5E 6ch help

I just put togeather my F-5E Camo that I bought from Hobby-Lobby.com. The aircraft requires a 6ch radio and receiver. When connecting my 6ch receiver I only saw 5 plugs. every plug was labbled but one of them. Can anybody help me figure out what the one plug which i belive was number 5 is. and is where did i go wrong with the 6ch. or did i just get a bad plane... its a beautiful aircraft.. i hope to maiden it with in a month or two. but for now im just going to dream.. lol.. hope i can get helped..

thanx you,
jerry
Old 08-02-2008, 03:16 PM
rusty_y2k2

Default RE: F-5E 6ch help

I don't really understand what the 6th channel is...

Ailerons, rudder, elevator, throttle, retracts.... that's 5 channels. Unless the nose wheel steering is on a seperate channel to the rudder, but why would it be?

As for figuring out what's what, just plug them in and wiggle! you'll soon find which lead is connected to which servo.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
aeroscale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your radio system...... Futaba and HiTec as follows:
Channel 1 aileron
Channel 2 elevator
Channel 3 throttle
Channel 4 rudder AND nose wheel steering (electrically interconnected by a "Y" harness
Channel 5 retracts
Channel 6 Not used on this model

AEROSCALE

Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Ramos02

Im using a futaba and hitec... so ok.. u guys helped me out really good there.. but on the reciver theres a spot for ch.6 and its the batt. does anything have to be pluged into that?? im new to the radio and been flying for over a yr now.. so im slowly getting used to the radio but flying is like a nich for me. i still havent programed the aircraft yet.. reading the book is really confusing for me.. but so yea.. so does anything go into that spot that is labeled ch.6 batt.????? thanks guys..

jerry
Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 PM
DaveFlynn

Battery can go to any of the 6. Usually it's ch3 (throttle) because the BEC(Battery Eliminator Circuit) in the ESC(Electronic Speed Control) provides power.

If you really feel the need to have something plugged into every spot try this:
1 Right Aileron (25 degrees up, 8 degrees down)
2 Elevator
3 Right Throttle (10% Rudder mixed)
4 Rudder
5 Flaps (3 positions 0,15,25)
6 Left aileron (25 degrees up, 8 degrees down)
7 Retracts and doors
8 Gun sound effect
9 Bombs
10 Nose wheel steering (40% Rudder)
11 Left Throttle (-10% Rudder mixed)

The need will always expand to exceed the available resources.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Ramos02

ok.. i think i can get it from here.. Thanks guys!!! has anyone flown the F-5E from hobby lobby?? or know anybody that has??? i heard from hobby lobby themselfs that the aircraft is wonderfull.. anybody got anything to say about it????
Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 PM
aeroscale

Ramos,
On THIS installation (HL F-5E), nothing needs to be plugged into channel 6 on your receiver. The ESC, which provides throttle control (plugged in to channel 3), is equipped with a BEC to provide receiver and servo power. Were the ESC NOT BEC-equipped, an independent, 4.8-6.0V battery could be plugged in to channel 6 or, as previously pointed out, any unoccupied channel to provide receiver and servo power. If a specific installation required the use of all 6 channels for control functions, the independent battery could be "Y"-harnessed, along with a servo, into any channel output.
AEROSCALE
Old 08-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Ramos02

thanks aeroscale... at least now i know that i didnt do anything wrong to the aircraft... the directions that it comes with dont really say much.. but its still a beautiful aircraft... i cant wait to maiden it.. do u or anybody know anybody that has flown theres????
Old 08-04-2008, 07:32 AM
aeroscale

Ramos,
There is a great thread over on E-Zone in the foam electric jets forum. It contains some good information but there is no consensus. Some say it's fun and very gentle to fly, others seem to think the power is insufficient. lOTS OF GREAT INPUT FOR MODS THOUGH! Although it doesn't appear to have enough wing area to do the job, those who are sucessfully flying it say it slows down great for landing and is quite stable. One of the biggest complaints seems to be the retracts are not up to the job (forget them on grass), another that the servos aren't either, for a variety of reasons. It IS a cool looking model though; hope you enjoy yours! Let us know how you make out.
AEROSCALE
Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
tomme
My Feedback: (1)

just got the same exact plane 2 weeks ago and put it together in 3 hours. beautiful plane but, servos are clacking like hell, the fan exploded on my first bench test, i also hear the esc overheats to the point of being untouchable.

i got burnt on this plane, i ordered it while it was a preorder so was one of the first to get one.
never again, this plane is a great looking piece of junk.
im replacing all the servos, the esc, fan and from what ive been reading, the motor and retracts which are very flimsy.
im still waiting for hobby lobby to send me a spare fan, but i may have to opt. for a fan i buy myself.
im gonna build this plane if it bankrupts me, its beautiful. just be careful.
i pre ordered hobby lobbys f4 2 weeks ago and after this piece of junk showed up i called 2 days ago and cancelled that order.
im going to let the guys who can modify jets take the lead on hobby lobbys rtf planes and work out all the kinks before i try this again.
may just go with the GWS f4 as it looks to be a nice plane also.

im not bashing hobby lobby here, just the planes that im having probs. with.
but 2 weeks for a replacement fan is poor customer service.
something ive been reading alot about latley in these and the rcu forums.

im gonna make this big, beautiful looking plane fly yet.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Put it together in about 5 hours. First two flights were great on stock set up. Moderate speed and lands slow. No problems yet.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
aeroscale

I agree, Capt. G. It's no rocket but it looks good flying, is very stable and lands very gently with almost no rollout. My StarMax 4S pack gave up after only three flights. Ran VERY hot due to non-existant cooling. The tendency is to fly the model at high power settings which ended up puffing the battery. Will replace it with a TP pack, devise some means of cooling it and get back to enjoying the model.
Attached photo is an actual flight shot, only the afterburners are compliments of Photoshop!
AEROSCALE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71954.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1020078  
Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i will be interested in your cooling solution.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Ramos02

hey aero!!! so ur batt puffed out due to runing the aircraft full power?? so basiclly dont run the aircraft at full all the time.. just for looks of high speed flybys and loops??? im just trying to get all the details of the aircraft b4 i program mine and maiden it... thanks for all the support guys.. keep the thread going on this F-5.. any more pics POST THEM!!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The supplied batts are only good for cruising ... no more than that ... they are only 15C.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 AM
aeroscale

tIANci,
It would have been nice if the supplier told you that it was only a 15C pack, mine wasn't even marked. A simple note like"If you intend to fly your F-5 at high power settings (like a jet) for an extended period of time, the supplied 15C Li-po pack may not be adequate and could be destroyed. We recommend at least a 25-30c pack for sustained high performance. We didn't give much thought to pack cooling either so even the higher discharge capacity packs may be at risk."As I said, the model flies well and looks great in the air. Once you recognize the limitations of the propulsion system, it is a fun package. Like many of the imports however, the instructions, or lack of, are one of the biggest problems.
AEROSCALE

Name:	Ki19073.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	1020493  
Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
UH60 Crewdog

Went together easy, Took about 4 hours or so I guess. Instructions are 6 steps long.... What ever it was pretty simple but a beginner might require some assistance. Looks good though... Anyone know of a sealant that can be applied to foam? My glass jets I just clear coat but dont want to melt this thing down. I added panel lines with a fine point sharpie marker, came out looking nice.

Name:	Om32890.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1025599  
Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Ramos02

Hey... ok so i went in and out of the box i got... for those of u who have flown ur F-5E... what are the control thorws that u would recomend ... i trust what hobby-lobby has told me but would like ur info also.... i have mine all programed and ready... im taking first flight at this Airport in Titusville, PA at a jet rally... . let me know if u guys can help me...

Jerry
Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Ramos02

Ok so here it is... my first flight was good... had a prob with the landing gear not coming down and locking in... now b4 flight for three days i spent adjusting the gear so it would always lock in the down positoin... i checked and re checked the gear.. on my first atempt to fly my left landing gear collapsed just as i powered up and started to roll... skid about 4ft. on my 2ed attempt i took off and one of the pilots told me to retract the gear. i know i shouldnt of but i did anyway.. gear up and climbing out.. had to do alot of trim adjustments but still good.. got it trimed out and then time to land... did a slow pass for a gear check.. left main wasnt coming down..or well.. it was but it was just dangling there... so came back around for another pass and try again.. still nothing... came in gear up for grass landing.. not to shabby... ... feels like a pretty good parkflyer to me.. SOOOOOO heres my question... Does anybody know how i can fix my landing gear problem?????? Is there any other kinda setup or diff servos i can used to make sure those gear come down????? can anybody help me on this... ???????????????????????
Old 10-18-2008, 05:51 PM
bigbuster
My Feedback: (12)

I have a battery question for you pros. I have been in the hobby for 20 years but not much electric. My question is. If I were to change from a 15c battery pack to a 35c pack
would I see a performance increase? I am using all stock gear in the f5e.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-18-2008, 05:53 PM
bigbuster
My Feedback: (12)

Sorry I ment change from the stock 15c to a 25c battery pack and still 4s.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
EDFFanatic
My Feedback: (32)

Gosh! If the battery packs are only 15C rated, I need to phone Hobby Lobby and see if I can cancel that extra battery pack, and purchase one of their higher rated packs like Enerland 25C or 30C. Though I am not sure they can fit. I don't know the size of the area that holds the batteries. Will fly this model slowly to make sure I don't do the stock batteries in. Caley
Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Ramos02

ok guys so i dissconected my landing gear servo and taxied around a lil bit... the nose gear at a certin speed will stick in one direction.. so dont over stear when rolling out for take off.. ive only got one flight but with NY weather its really getting cold and fast... i hope to maybe get another flight in b4 the snow really starts flying... but snow doesnt really stop me from flying my STRYKER or SUPER CUP<<< with snow skies.. haha... but the F-5E may be in the basement for now till spring time... when i did my first flight witht he F-5E i only did a flight of 6-7 min.. and kept the power back to bout half to 3/4... never brought it up to full... batt is still good and havent ruind it yet... ppl on RCGROUP.COM have said that the ESC over heats fast.. but ive come to find out that it over heats when its not in the air and have air passing over it to cool it... so be carefull on the run up in ur basement.. its meant to air cool as the plane flys.. its still a beautiful aircraft and i will keep an update on my flights as i go along... but the landing gear is crap.. if ur going to fly it with the gear,, eaither get a new set up or get rid of the gear and hand launch it or leave it down... i perfer in the down possition that way at least i can still take off and land with out haveing to worry about the hand launch going wrong... try running with the aircraft as is in one hand at full power and ur controler eaither around ur neck or in ur hand... its not fun... but im sure the aircraft is still good just not the best u can see... if u order this aircraft.. dont expect it to be top notch... bc its not.. but its still a nice plane to have in the hanger... as i said b4.. ill keep an update on my flights as i go along.. ........ i did add Flaperons to the plane bc i need to land and take off out of a small area and when i did the first flight they worked out perfect... a slight roll and nose up was happening but the plane slowed down perfect... i added them with my Futaba 9C super controller... this plane is ok.. but Hobby-Lobby does need to work things out and needs to test more of them b4 they go and sell the aircraft.... im not talking about just this aircraft... i mean all of them.. .. ive heaerd many probs with the F-5E and ive experianced alot of them... so make sure to read up about the aircraft b4 u buy... im not bad mouthing hobby-lobby... other distiributers should be doing the same.. ive bought some other aircraft from hobby lobby and they work out perfect.. minor flaws but still hobby lobby is a good place to go for aircraft and other RC stuff..

jerry
Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 PM
EDFFanatic
My Feedback: (32)

Jerry, I do agree that this airframe is really nice. But it is the electrical components/drive train that are just on the edge. If all is in good shape when you get it and you take the time to make sure that everything works the way it should, I would think that this airplane will fly, and be impressive, but not impressive to those with that burning desire for need of speed. It almost looks like a jet version of a parkflyer. I think that I would like to replace the retracts, but I don't know much about them. Always flown with fixed landing gear. I may just install fixed gear and beef up the supporting area. I know that is probably blasphemy to some, but I know I can't fly something over 70mph without crashing it. So I don't really need to worry about drag caused by fixed landing gear, and a benefit of fixed is that you eliminate the servos and their weight, as well as the load they cause on the BEC. My airplane is still enroute. I hope it arrives tomorrow or the next day. I would love to fiddle with it this weekend, as it looks like stiff winds are in the making for the weekend. Have a great week Guys and hope you all can get a bit of flying in this weekend. Caley
Old 10-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Ramos02

EDF Fanatic
i left the servos in for now... so that way i wouldnt have to screw around with the weight... im still a beginer with this stuff... im used to flying full scale aircraft... so im still new.. ive talked to some friends of mine who also have the F-5E and they said the landing gear and componets is crap.. i belive them.. but as long as u dont max out the aircraft and just make it look good in the sky.. ull do just fine.. take ur time with the plane.. let me know what u do and what mods u do with it.. thanx for ur response...

jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.