Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

xpd8 maiden

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:52 PM
oly_rcer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xpd8 maiden

after building the jet and looking at it i kept telling myself that this thing cant fly,it looks like a little toy and didnt seem to have much thrust.went to a really big field today to maiden it but had my doubts.okay checked all the throws and controls and spooled up the fan,my buddy hand launched it,left his hand went towards the ground and then took up upwards.all i can say is WOW
this thing really scoots along.got some altitude and then started doing banks and loops,flew mostly at half throttle or less really reacts to input but had to turn dual rate up from 60% to 75 and then it got really responsive did a nice stall turn and dropped a wing and just easily pulled out of it and had 7-10 min flight,what a blast i'm loving this jet thingy cant wait to get my stryker in the air
Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 AM
UH60 Crewdog

Default RE: xpd8 maiden

That plane has one mean tip stall when you pull to much elevator, Be careful low to the ground doing high speed passes and pulling hard up it could snap right into the ground. I also made two wing tip "scrappers" just to keep ripping off the winglets on the end of the wings, Happen's often in moderate length grass. Happy Flying!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM
psb667

ORIGINAL: UH60 Crewdog

That plane has one mean tip stall when you pull to much elevator, Be careful low to the ground doing high speed passes and pulling hard up it could snap right into the ground. I also made two wing tip "scrappers" just to keep ripping off the winglets on the end of the wings, Happen's often in moderate length grass. Happy Flying!
I wish Id read this yesterday as I put my xpd8 nose in hard today. Ant suggestions about how to compensate or is it a know your plane thing?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
psb667

its nit tip stall its the lawn dart factor. itll do it at any speed unless the elevons are adjusted correctly. the elevons interupt the airfoil and it loses all lift and goes lawn dart
Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
TheRCFlyer1

ORIGINAL: UH60 Crewdog

Ihave had the same tip stall problem. Idid not have enough power coming in for a landing. However, the plane was easily fixed after the crash. Ihave no had problems with my winglets as of yet after 10 flights (knocks on wood).
Old 06-23-2009, 01:21 PM
redsslt1

I recently purchased an xpd-8 (I was attracted to the $30 price and the fact that is is different than the previous planes that I have owned.)  I was a little frustrated getting everything to fit underneath the canopy, but otherwise, it seemed like an exceptional value for the money I paid.  I also purchased another DSM2 receiver to go with it.  I have previously owned traditional front-propellor-type wing, rudder, and tail planes.

I have had two flights, neither of which were successful.  After launching, you have to be QUICK to get the plane level to get some altitude.  For each flight, I used full throttle to get some altitude, then pulled back to about 2/3 to fly around.  The plane flew really well until....  Each time, after a couple of turns, the plane entered a death spiral straight towards the ground.   Both times, I cut the throttle and gave it full elevator up in an attempt to get the plane level again (or at least to dissipate some of its momentum before crashing.)  This didn't help at all, the plane just keeps spiraling towards the ground until it violently crashes.   The second time it crashed, it split in two and took my receiver with it.  Alhough the plane is quite durable, I'm not aware of anything that will take a crash like that.  I'm not too upset about the plane, but I planned on keeping the receiver for a while.

I figure I either stalled or the receiver / transmitter failed on me.  I doubt  its the receiver / transmitter since i have had 0 problems with my Spektrum DX6i.  Assuming I stalled, is this how the plane reacts?  Death upon your first stall????  I realize I'm not the most experienced plot, but if this is the case, the punishment for stalling seems to be pretty high.

Has anybody else had a similar experience, or did I do something else wrong?