Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF V PROP

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM
JohnboyE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF V PROP

HI THERE GUYS,

I dont even know if this is the correct forum. If not let me know and I will change it. But, I Really would appreciate your thoughts. I am building a 6 ft span A10 Warthog, which makes the engine pods about 6 or 7 ins diameter. Now I want to keep costs down, so my question is this. I can easily get 6x4.5 3 blade props and fit them inside the given engine cowlings, or ofcourse go the ducted fan way ( which would be more expensive) I have no experience with fans, but as far as props go, usually the diameter decides the thrust, and pitch the gearing. I might even be able to cheat a little ( its only a sport scale model) and fit 7 in diameter 3 blade props. So, Which between the 3 blade 7in prop and the Fan would provide better thrust? keeping in mind the cost equasion. ( I was thinking of the HET 6904 70 mm diameter fan unit)

Also, I have a program which calculates the static thrust if you know the rpm of the prop, but is there a program which would tell me how many rpm for a given prop I would get depending on motor used and voltage supplied etc

Anyway, all help appreciated.

regards, John
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: EDF V PROP

Propellors are cheaper. More efficient. Changes are VERY cheap if you use GWS props.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70825.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1048265  
Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EDF V PROP

Try this calculator

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp

I am a avid fan of the the EDF and will probably never have another propeller driven model. But $ for $, amp for amp, a prop beats an EDF every time.

For your 6 foot A10, a propeller pushed version will be much less expensive, especially if you use props larger in diameter than the nacelle. You could mount them pusher or tractor