Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fast electrc jet set up??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Fast electrc jet set up??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
dunk
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast electrc jet set up??

I have been browsing through tons of electric jet kits...from foam to fiber glass. Does anyone have some recommendations for a plane and set up?
Would like a glass fuse and balsa wings,retracts and single fan of coarse it needs to be fast. Would like to see 120+ out of it. I really like F-20 airframes. Would like to stay around 40 size for transporting as well. I really like the Bob Violet electric jets but they are a bit out of pocket books reach.
Any info is apprecited.
Dunk
Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Fast electrc jet set up??

Start here............

http://www.warbirds-rc.com/Store/darf.html

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/littlescreamers.htm

You must use the JetScreamer 1400! FAST!!

You won't be sorry.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 PM
jimweda

First you have to look at what your experience is with flying, let alone flying fast. You'd be surprised at how many people who are new to the hobby want to right away go with a fast plane only to be discouraged. We'll just assume since you are asking about recommendations for a fast edf set up, that you at least have flying experience and can handle speeds over 100mph.

Have you looked into the Phase 3 F-16 yet? The recent speed contest has Tailslide5_0 doing 177mph for a sort of official record at the Vegas event. Stock set up will do around 70-80mph but you can easily find motor and ESC set ups that won't cost you an arm and a leg for the 120mph range. If you're stuck on the whole retract thing, then yes, maybe check out Banana Hobbies or Hobby Lobby for some RTF or ARF edf's but don't expect any of the stock set ups to go 120mph or more. Regardless you will still have to swap out the motor, ESC and probably the fan unit. As far as motors go, yes the JS-1400 is a great motor, but don't stop there. Mega, Neu, ARC (won the speed contest in Vegas), HET, Hoffman Magnetics to name a few other motors. If you're really tight on budget, you can even get a cheap Hobby City motor for about $15 that will get you around 115mph or so I believe. I think its the KD-450 or something like that but you will definitely need to go at least 4s for a good fast set up.

Good luck with your search for an EDF that fits your needs.

Jim
Old 11-09-2008, 07:04 PM
dunk

I aquired a HET sniper and 2W motor and 60 amp esc and the wemotec fan.. I have to build it yet and figure out what battery to run (4S) like 3000mah or 3500mah. I am also now looking into bungee set ups and trying to find a fair price for one. I do think that I will go with retracts on the next plane ...if I dontinue down the edf road. Thanks for the info on the motors. I like to fly with a budget in mind...
Dunk
Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 AM
whissel_blowa

The 2W is a 3 cell motor only, 3300 would be the biggest pack if you want any hope of getting the COG right. Sniper is a very advanced model and would not be recommended regardless you have 20yrs flying experience or not, you need EDF experience before something like this. Flying with a budget?? LOL dont get into EDF then!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
swatman260

I'm flying the Super Sniper with the HET 2W 20 motor system and a 60 amp ESC. I'm flying this setup on a 4s4000MaH pack, as per the recommendation of the dealer (turbofanelectrics.com). This plane flys awesome on this combination. It's plenty fast (I'd say about 120 out of a dive) but will still slow down to land very easily. I have found that the plane is very easy to fly, as long as you keep a little speed up. It almost flys like a sport/trainer plane.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:26 PM
dunk

I am actually thinking of adding some wheels to the bottom of the sniper like the Hobby Lobby A-4 jet. Thought I could get some that were about 1"diam or so and inset them halfway to reduce drag and yet be able to take off with out the bungee. I just finished getting my fan set up and holy cow with a 3s 3300 mah that thing screams I am almost afraid of the scream with the 4s on it. I am also thinking of glassing the wings with 2 to 3" wide cloth for some extra strength. I hope to start on the fuse next week some time. I have to fiinish covering a Carl Goldberg Extra 300L and then to the sniper!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:01 AM
andy38

I have a wemotec min-fan and a mega 16-15-2 motor that i have bench tested runing 4s1p 2300 a123 pack it pulles 54 amps with freashly charged pack but it soon drops to 45 amps as volts sag, under load. I was woundering if anyone could post a picture of a super sniper battery compartment so I can see how large it is,I have heard that people are using 2 2s1p lipo packs in their 4s super snipers to get it to balance right, I could do the same with my a123 packs.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:42 AM
RCWORLDINTERNATIONAL
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys i just picked up this pocket rocket edf jet saab j-35 draken. It went together really fast but the best part is the performance. Its smaller scale and powerful unit gives it the same power to weight ratio as the real jet. I did a vertical climb for 20 seconds, i couldnt see it after that. Lots of fun out of these new smaller scale edf jets.

i purchased it at

[ http://www.rcworld.us/v/vspfiles/photos/SABBJ35-2.jpg ] www.rcworld.us

Features

-2.4 ghz radio
-All foam contruction
-Brushless 4300kv brushless motor
-64mm fan unit
-30amp esc
-11.1v 1300mah lithium pack
-Field charger, and wall charger included

WINGSPAN 20.7"
LENGTH 30.4"
FLYING WEIGHT 450 gramsZ
Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 PM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

Did you ever finish and fly your Super Sniper? I just purchased one with the same setup and I was wondering how you liked it and if there was anything I need to know about building or flying it.