Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

ELECTRIC EDF HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 PM
steveline9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECTRIC EDF HELP

Can anyone explain how i should determin the correct electric setup for an AMD HAWK please. I know absolutely nothing about electric power edf and how decide or work out what is a suitable motor,fan,controller and lipo.

Cheers
steve
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ELECTRIC EDF HELP

One way to get an idea of what you need is to look at other EDF's aircraft that are approximately the same size and weight of your Hawk. Chances are good that there are other companies out there selling EDF power systems for aircraft that they are selling ... see what they are using .... Bob
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM
mikeshobbies
My Feedback: (14)

Go to Jet Hobby Hangar, they have the complete 120 mm fan, motor, and speed control for a Hawk this size. JHH released this clone AMD hawk first (long story) email Larry or Chris they will help. I have the same Hawk just not working this project yet.

Mike
Old 11-11-2008, 05:31 PM
steveline9

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I have priced up the setup from JHH and airpac for the setup and have found that a seemedly equivalent setup can be bought for a fraction of the price at hobbycity. Are these inferior products or value for money? Also does anyone know of a supplier for the hawk itself please?

Cheers
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 AM
kremecheze
My Feedback: (5)

youu can run hobbycity setups,the motor can be hit or mis sometimes but the speed controllers hold up just like the higher end stuff.the fans draw more amps and are less efficeint but u cant beat it for the money
Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 AM
kremecheze
My Feedback: (5)

this seems like a tough project for someone with no edf experience
Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 AM
steveline9

I do have EDF experience with the HET SNIPER and F20 but in both cases i have gone with the recommended setup of 2w20 72a controller ans 4s. What i was looking for from this thread is how to work out what you really need for this type of model as in how to work out the watts and amps you should be pulling as well as the KV rateing you should go for. I thought the higher the KV's the better but i gather this is not the case. I usually fly turbines but my local field wont allow them so its just something to practice on when the weather is not so good.

Cheers
steve