Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

RCLander Jets

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM
WartedEmperor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCLander Jets

What do you all think about the RCLander jets? I think they all look amazing. Has anybody flown any of these models?http://www.rclander.com/default.aspx?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:21 PM
rcmiket

Default RE: RCLander Jets

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901932

Here's a pretty good tread. I have a Panther on order. Mike
Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recieved mine the other day. Packed very well .... looks good. If it performs like the video ... I will be very happy. Hope to start assembly this weekend. Bob
Old 12-09-2008, 02:50 PM
WartedEmperor

Keep me filled in on the build? What model did you get?

Also do you know about what the max speed is for their three models?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM
rcmiket

"Recieved mine the other day. Packed very well .... looks good. If it performs like the video ... I will be very happy. Hope to start assembly this weekend. Bob "

How long from order to ship? Was it dropped shipped from China? Mike
Old 12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
BalsaBob

It took 3 weeks to get it (from EJF). From what I was told (and learned) .... EJF does not stock any kits ... because there are far too many packages/combos available. When the order is placed, EJF then places the order with RCLander ... and they (RCLander) assemble/compile your package and send it to EJF. EJF then sends it to you (the box came from EJF ... not China). The assembly and shipping to EJF appears to take place very quickly .... it took only 3 weeks for the entire process. Perhaps EJF is also checking the package out (quality control) before it is sent to you ? ? I have always had good experiences from EJF .... so I was not worried about the process.
(I got the 4-cell, white/red Panther). Bob
Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Sam77

I have their new F-16 on order (airframe, retracts, and gear doors). It's supposed to ship from EJF tomorrow. I've got a thread going for detailing what I come across while I build, so look for updates there.

-Sam
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

if you can just get it directly from rclander, you can avoid the middle man and pay half.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM
rcmiket

Received a Email from Robert @ EJF this AM. He was sorting and getting ready to ship. I guess customs figured out that these jets were not actual F-16's and F-9 Panthers. Mike
Old 12-20-2008, 08:18 AM
rcmiket

I received my panther yesterday. I'm really impressed with the over all quality. I had a 4S Lipo charged and ran the fan up. I'm really surprised just how smooth it runs. I'll post a few pictures as I start the build but it looks pretty straight foward. Mike
Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 AM
tcuster11

I have one, and it has flown. On the first flight I didn't have the CG set right. Under power it flew fine, however once the power came off the nose immediately pointed up. It was a bit of a trick to get it landed, but I managed. The second time out the CG was readjusted forward, and it flew fine. There seems to be no issues with power. The fan that comes with it is exceptionally powerfull, even though I am flying it on 3s. The nose is still coming up once the power is off, but not as severly. I have noticed that there is a lack of control under slower speed, so it is wise to keep the speed up.

The retracts really suck. After several failed attempts to get them to work, they met Mr. Screwdriver. They are now sitting in my drawer taking up space. I am fairly certain that the mounts would rip out unless it is landed very smoothly. I am flying without them. Hand launching is a bit of a trick, but it can be done. Bungee launch would seem to work out better.

Once in the air and up to speed, it is a very stable flyer. It handles the wind well. Keep in mind that the wing loading is a bit higher than I like so the stall speed is a bit higher than normal. I haven't had the chance to tweak out the control surfaces , so currently the roll rate is a bit slow. That can be changed once I get some time on it. The control surfaces work well after the hinges are loosened up.(Mine were a little tighter than I like.)

What is impressive about this plane is the appearance and sound in the air. There is a distinct turbine sound from the fan. From a distance it looks like a real Panther flying by. Unfortunately it is a plane that I would not buy again. I would buy the fan unit. It is nothing short of astounding.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 PM
rcmiket

Is yours one of the newer models or one of the first runs? They had issues with the retracts that has been addressed in the newer versions. Mike
Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 PM
tcuster11

I am asuming that mine was a first run.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM
rcmiket

Just finished up my Panther. Test hop later in the week. It went together real smooth. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47012.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1099513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32657.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1099514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29283.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1099515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12267.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1099516   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98689.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1099517  
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
BalsaBob

Mike, Your Panther looks awesome. About how much time did the assembly take ? Also, are you going to use the BEC function of the ESC ? or a seperate receiver battery pack ? Weather has been cold and snowy up here .... I have not started assembling mine yet. Bob
Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 AM
rcmiket

Went together pretty quick. The instructions stink but if you've been around the block once or twice its easy. Most of my time was waiting for the 5 minute epoxy to dry. I used the stock ESC but disabled the BEC and went with a separate CC BEC with a 1900MAH 2S LiPo for power to the servos. Were having some great weather here. Mornings are cols but by noon were at 50 then 60 by late afternoon.. Winds have been really light also. In El Paso we have flying weather 365 if we get snow its gone in 30 minutes so its easy to deal with it. I don't miss cold winters one bit, Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
BalsaBob

Thanks Mike. I have read numerous postings about people disabling the BEC function on the ESC and doing what you did. Just wondering why ? Are the BEC circuits on the ESC's not reliable when you go 4S and up ? Are those small seperate gizmos (like the one you are using from CC) more reliable ? I guess they must have a voltage regular built in to allow the use of a 2S pack ?
Bob
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
rcmiket

Seems like the ESC/BEC are just not up to the task. I went with the CC BEC and it steps down the voltage from the 7.4 volt LiPo. My main concern is mechanical retracts may bind. Drawing power from the main pack causing major problems. This would have been a bad thing in the air. I would rather be safe than sorry. The Panther is running 7 servos which I felt was a bit much for the stock unit. My F-16 only uses 5 which I was comfortable with and have not issues so far. Its a judgement call by the owner. So far I've made the right calls and am flying and having a good time with no issues. Mike
Old 12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Seems like the ESC/BEC are just not up to the task. I went with the CC BEC and it steps down the voltage from the 7.4 volt LiPo. My main concern is mechanical retracts may bind. Drawing power from the main pack causing major problems. This would have been a bad thing in the air. I would rather be safe than sorry. The Panther is running 7 servos which I felt was a bit much for the stock unit. My F-16 only uses 5 which I was comfortable with and have not issues so far. Its a judgement call by the owner. So far I've made the right calls and am flying and having a good time with no issues. Mike
Mike,

That's a great reason to use another BEC, especially on 4S with a questionable stock ESC/BEC. However, if you're still using the same BEC for both retracts AND RX/flight servos, I think a more reliable/ligther option exists. Did you consider powering the retracts only with the main pack using the stock ESC/BEC and using the CC BEC for the rest of the radio? That way you could use a much smaller battery for the radio (1900 mAH is HUGE !)

With my proposal, if you do jam the retracts, in the worse case you run up a high current which blows the stock BEC and possibly kills power to the fan. However, you still have all flight controls so you could make an emergency landing and probably save the plane. In your present condition, a jam in the retracts will still drain your RX battery, although it seems like you planned for that situation by making the pack extra large. There are many ways to skin this cat of course, but I'm personally inclined to go for less weight and always keep the flight system powered as the number one priority. If this were a much more complex and expensive jet, I'd even consider two BEC's or probably an A123 pack with no regulator directly to the RX. The other BEC may be used to power non vital functions.

The CC BEC would be wired to the RX just as you have it now. The stock BEC would have only the ground wire in common with your RX. The stock BEC power and ground get spliced into your retract servo(s) and the signal to those servos come from the RX as they do now. Of course, be sure the power from the stock BEC does NOT go to the RX via any path (that's the key to sharing two power sources only the grounds are common).

It takes a few minutes to pull some pins, and make a few custom solder connections, but once you get the idea, it's not so bad. One needs to be comfortable with soldering of course.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. Happy new year to you in any case.

Joe
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
rcmiket

I tossed around your idea before I went with my set up. They call for 70 to 75mms for balance and the 1900 lipo fit the bill not to mention it was handy. Mechanical retracts are notorious for having issues. I went with MG servos and have them set perfect right now but they can get out of whack pretty easy causing stalled servos which will kill a pack pretty quick. I feel comfortable with this arrangement. If I go with a bigger battery down the road I'm going to try your idea. Thanks I appreciate the input. Test hop in the morning. Mike
Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM
BalsaBob

I purchased the CC BEC and am considering using a Thunder Power 1320 mah 2S Lipo (I happen to have a new one). Do you think this battery is a good choice ? (I don't mind having to charge it after every 2nd or 3rd flight). Bob
Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 AM
rcmiket

As long as the servos are not stalling you should be fine. I would not go over 2 flight without recharging till you get the feel for how the pack holds up. Mike
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
tcuster11

Nice job on the Panther Mike. Like you I went with a separate power for the receiver. I used a 3 amp Hobby Wing BEC. I would also agree with you that the retracts could be an issue. I have finally installed them on mine and dumb luck has got them working properly. There might be another issue that has come up with my Panther.

In the process of testing the retracts, the shaft on the stock motor bent. It came out of balance someway(I am still not sure how). Needless to say one of the blades on the rotor is a bit shorter than the rest. Pulling the motor out was fairly easy as the unit shook itself apart. I replaced the stock motor wit a HET 2W. I managed to balance the stock rotor, but was a little disappointed with the results. The stock rotor was replaced with a HET 6904 rotor. It fit better than the original rotor did. There is a lot less gap between the blades and the housing.

When I tested this configuration(I haven't tested for thrust), the modified readings using 2 Zippy 3s 30-40c batteries hooked in parallel were 65 Amps, 670 watts@ 12.3 volts. Stock configuration was 62 Amps @ 12 Volts (thrust was 1.3 Kg as tested at the factory). Stock the fan unit weighed 8 ounces, and the modified unit weighs 5 3/4 ounces. There seems to be even more thrust now. Some time in the future I will test for thrust.

I weighed the plane with the stock motor setup and no retracts at 43 ounces. With the modified fan, and retracts I measured 45 ounces. I haven't had a chance to test the modifications yet as it hasn't stopped raining for a couple of weeks now, but the weather is supposed to clear this weekend so we shall see what happens.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
rcmiket

I'm in the same boat as far as weather. Been really windy here. I'm hoping tomorrow or Thursday. I have no doubt that these will fly really well. Mike
Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
tcuster11

Mike, finally got some flying weather. I tested the modifications to the Panther. The retracts self destructed on the first attempt at take off. We don't have a paved runway, so I guess that idea is out. The retracts are in their proper place. I did manage to get a test on the modified fan. There is a definite improvement in thrust. The plane is now flying through a loop, as opposed the mushy kind of thing on the back side of the loop. The ailerons are reacting much crisper, and the elevator has shown the same improvement.

I will hand launch this plane, and I can see that there will be an advantage. With the modified fan and no retracts, I am getting an all up weight of 37 oz. I will test this combination again tomorrow as the weather is supposed to cooperate. I am hoping to get further improvements in performance with the now lightened plane. I am also hoping that I will acheive the more than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.