Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Het 90mm F18 definately not scale

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Het 90mm F18 definately not scale

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Het 90mm F18 definately not scale

Jus figured I'd post this for those that care. I just received my Het 90mm F-18 from the Electric Jet Factory. I ordered it online & It came extremely fast, & was very well packed. Fiberglass fuse, balsa covered foam wing & horiz stabs, & all composit vertical fins. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if the nose of it was too short, & if the wings are too big, & if the canopy was as doofy as it appeared in some photos, & videos that I've seen. The answer is yes. The F18 from nose to beginning of the wing LE at the root is suppose to ba a bit longer than the LE of the wing at the root to the rear edge of the tailcone. On the Het 90mm it is shorter. The wings appear to be much bigger than scale, but not too bad, And I cant wait to throw that doofy 1950 looking canopy that comes with it in the trash... Other than cosmetics, I am very happy with the kit, but plan to do some heavy mods to make it cosmetically to my liking.
I plan to move the wings about 1.5inches back from the suggested location, rework the cg, & make a new canopy. I've owned a few of BV's & Y/A kits, & for the money, so far, it was a good buy:-)
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM
bandit13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Het 90mm F18 definately not scale

Let me know how it goes, since I am buying the same jet. What servos are you using, did you get 2 extra for the rudders as well? What decals came with the kit. If you can post anything to help let me know.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 AM
BlueBus320

I'm trying to wait until somebody maidens theirs. I'll probably fly out too see another fly then make a decision on if I'm going to finish mine anytime soon. I extended the nose on mine to make it look more like a jet. The wings & tail are still in the correct location to each other so the CG shouldn't change. Just a bit more (nose) aerodynamic drag.

1st pic is standard.. 2nd, & 3rd are extended
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64905.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1158105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23975.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1158106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93726.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1158107  
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

errrr, looking at your "before" photo, and the attached (I hope...) there is not much difference. [Editied to say that I shamelessly ripped the attached photo from the web]
IMHO, your modifications are way too long.
I think the HET is an "A" model....not sure of the length of the nose on the "Supers"....but the intakes are different too.
Good luck with the mods!
Greg

Name:	Sq46382.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1159638  
Old 03-17-2009, 02:02 AM
BlueBus320

Doesn't matter super or standard. Put a string to the picture you posted. The front end from tip of nose to beginning of wing is longer than beginning of wing to end of tail cone. Gives the appearance that the F-18's are nose heavy. Now try that with a side shot of the Het, or your het (If you have one available) it will be the opposite. Also the wings on the Het are much larger than scale, in fact they are slightly bigger than a super hornets wings of equivalent scale.
The deal breaker for me is the Flat Bottom airfoil (which I've never seen advertised). All I've learned & taught back in my instructing days tells me this plane will fly awesome right side up, but try to sustain inverted flight or do field long slow rolls & it will probably be a totally different story.
There are profile & plan view schematics available which I downloaded & used to super impose over images of my Het F-18.
So I'm just posting my results for those looking for a scale elec F-18, as I would want someone to post theirs for me. However, if you've purchased one & it looks like a Hornet to you, then thats all that matters
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your nose is way too long
I think HET got the fuselage right.
I think you need to make the wings smaller, if you want the proportions right, and not make the fuselage longer.
If you make the nose longer, you have to make the fuselage fatter....with would be quite difficult

Cn you take a picture of it directly above, then we can overlay it with a 3 view drawing, to see the differences.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM
BlueBus320

SJN, I agree with you 100%. Back when I started this thread & bought my Het, there just wasn't many photo's available for this plane. By doing what I did, I only fixed the proportions. Mine is definatly not scale, just to my liking. If I had the know how to make the wings smaller & semi symetrical, I would have done that instead. I totally agree the Het Fuse seems to be very good to the standard Hornets.

Here's a pic of what I was going to do, but I'm shelving mine for now, & maybe one day I will undo the fuse extension I did & make smaller wings, or just proceed with my original plan & call it experimental FA-18C/F These are actual pictures taking of my het, & altered. I did a lot of super imposing with C & F models & the way I have it now will fit right over the F, but Het's wings are still a little too big even for the Super.

Name:	Ge94447.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1159905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86764.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1159906  
Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

THanks for the pics.

But you are compareing the Hornet and Super hornet in the picture.
They do not have the same length

Hornet Length: 56 ft (17.1 m)

Super hornet : Length: 60 ft 1ΒΌ in (18.31 m)

That does make a difference.
But the wings are so out of scale.....but I bet it flys better
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
BlueBus320

ORIGINAL: SJN

THanks for the pics.

But you are compareing the Hornet and Super hornet in the picture.
They do not have the same length

Hornet Length: 56 ft (17.1 m)

Super hornet : Length: 60 ft 1ΒΌ in (18.31 m)

That does make a difference.
But the wings are so out of scale.....but I bet it flys better
I'm aware of the "C" to "F" model comparison. I go to a lot of airshows here in the states, & run across the Hornets in the sky now & then. Ground to air, or air to air, it's a silouette I'm use to seeing. I'm looking for proper proportions, & there's only two ways I can think of getting it.
1. Make the wings smaller for a scale appearance. (best way)
2. Extend the nose so it fits in a Super Hornets profile. (not scale, but the silouette & proportions are correct)