Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Honey I blew up the 64mm Mirage!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Honey I blew up the 64mm Mirage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 PM
ftherrmann
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honey I blew up the 64mm Mirage!!!

I ran two 1300 packs thru the motor before I assembled the plane inorder to "break" the rotor in. This afternoon I flew the plane for the first time. After I got the plane trimmed out I throttled up and it flew great for about 30 seconds and then things happened pretty fast. It was really flying nice and fast. Quite a bit faster than the F-15 64mm. I guess the rotors couldn't handle the stress when the rotor un-wound in the air. See attached pictures. When I got home I took off the rotor and ran the motor. I seems like a lot of vibration is coming from the metal rotor adapter which is attached to the motor shaft with two set screws. I'm not really sure if or how I can get the vibration out of the rotor adapter. I don't guess Starmax has improved their rotor adapter like they did for the 70mm motors???

Just for safety I always stand to the rear of the fan no matter the size... Just wondering if anyone had the rotors fly thru the side of the plane while they we're doing a static runup? Just a guess on my part but my thinking is that the parts would lose momentum pretty fast after they seperate and bounce thru the foam. Any experience or thoughts???

Thanks,

Fred

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84457.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1163875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59034.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1163876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71958.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1163877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61641.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1163878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa32165.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1163879  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Honey I blew up the 64mm Mirage!!!

You bring up a serious point about EDF. High powers/RPM & no protection.

I tie my planes down with 1/4 Nylon line to test them. I KNOW if it blew out, I would let go anyway.

Not to smart in a basement or garage ??
I have only overrevved 1 Fan delibertly. GWS 40 mm. Went so high the noise became 1/2 as loud NEAR WOT. 2 Hyperions 5800 KV running on a charged up car battery. Hard to tell if I became afraid as it ran quiter at higher revs. My hearing is tested as good.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
animal acker

Ftherrmann: I am interested in this mirage, aside from the edf problem how do you like it? does it slow down well when coming in to land? or do you need lots of speed to land, and can you put a larger battery in it? like maybe a 2100 3 cell?
Thanks for the input
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Willit Run 353

I have had nothing bad happen to my EDFs apart from once I was doing a bench test and a fly flew right into it. he flew out the other end at 1000000000000MPH. I thought he must be one stupid fly I mean its not like he didn't have a choice