Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Great Planes L-39 mods?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Great Planes L-39 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM
SR-71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes L-39 mods?

I'd like to squeeze some more speed out of my stock Great Planes L-39. Has anyone out there had success with other motors/ESC's with his model? If so, what motor did you use and how much difference did it make?

Thanks in advance,

SR-71
Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes L-39 mods?

I ran my little screamers jet screamer in it and didn't see much difference on 3S on 4S it was a bit better...I should have tried to put the XF fan back in to see if it was better then the hyperflow, I switched to a Phase 3 F-16 and put all the gear in that plane, much faster then the L-39...on my last flight with the L-39 it blew the fan hatch off, resulting in a not so graceful landing, I repaired it but now the airframe is just hanging here, one issue with this plane at higher speeds is the elevator deflection, only the side with the pushrod moves at high speed causing a roll on a hard pull of the elevator...it's a good little plane and can be made a lot faster but you might want to consider some other airframes for high speed use...if you want to stick with the L-39 I would get a motor and ESC from DONS RC that is capable of handling a larger 4S pack and that will get you more speed, maybe switch to a better fan also, not sure which ones will fit, I had to modify the airframe and fan to get the XF fan in there...also a thrust tube would help efficiency...oh and if you go with an ESC from DONS I would opt for the 8 dollar programming card, makes things really easy to set up or change at the field